ClubRalliart.com Your ad here
Old 10-07-2009, 12:26 PM

Default DIY - Free cooling system upgrade

For those looking to keep their RA a little cooler, there are some factory installed inhibitors that restrict airflow in/out of the engine bay. Some might argue that well, the factory must have put them there for a reason. I argue that, well, they must have originally designed the opening the sizes the way they did for a reason and then thought to cover them up with restrictive plates.

One might also argue that by removing the plates you will allow water into the engine bay. I would ask this of you first before making such a statement. Go drive your car on a rainy day and then look under the hood and tell if everything is dry or wet. Or wash your car and tell me if the engine bay is dry when you are done and first open up the hood.

However, if you are worried about voided warranties and such, then this probably isn't for you. If you are looking to give its air system some proverbial ex-lax, then check out the following areas on your car.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TopBoth.jpg (79.3 KB, 292 views)

Last edited by TheBlackBeast; 10-07-2009 at 12:35 PM.
Old 10-07-2009, 12:29 PM

For the first 2 vents on the hood, there are metal plates sandwiched inbetween the hood and vent. In the pics for this post, they are already removed but I've gone ahead and pointed out what needs to be done to remove them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TopLeftIn.jpg (83.3 KB, 188 views)
File Type: jpg TopLeftOut.jpg (65.6 KB, 166 views)
File Type: jpg TopRightIn.jpg (91.0 KB, 187 views)
File Type: jpg TopRightOut.jpg (68.1 KB, 152 views)
Old 10-07-2009, 12:34 PM

For the NACA Styled ducting vent, there is a lovely metal plate blocking most of the air flow from getting into the engine bay to help cool down that wonderful turbo. I have yet to decide if I want to completely remove the metal plate or modify it with some tin snips. I'll post back when I get around to this part.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NACAout.jpg (66.9 KB, 184 views)
File Type: jpg NACAin.jpg (53.5 KB, 179 views)
Old 10-07-2009, 12:39 PM

Finally there is the fog light housings at the corners of the front bumper. I understand if you like your fog lights there. I did too until someone in front of me launched a piece of road debris and broke the glass cover on my front right fog light. The bulb amazingly still worked. However, it just didn't look right so I thought I may as well pull both of them. This will also let more air through the front of the car to cool brakes and other things. One of these days I will run a hose of some type from the hole from the fog light to the brake system.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FogLeft.jpg (100.4 KB, 117 views)
File Type: jpg FogRight.jpg (88.2 KB, 106 views)
Old 10-07-2009, 12:53 PM

As an added bonus, Evo's have additional venting in the front air dam area but not the RA's for some reason. I did a little dreaming with photoshop to see what it would look like with the same vent holes. Not bad I think... Depending on whats behind there, I may or may not modify that piece. Another weekend project.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TheFront.jpg (101.4 KB, 251 views)
Old 10-07-2009, 01:55 PM

Something to consider with those vents is that the EVO, RA and all other Lancers share the same chassis, but have different body panels and other bolt-on supports. I'm wondering how many of those covered gaps wouldn't be covered in other models?

Either way, I have to imagine that more airflow into the engine bay has to be a good thing.
Old 10-07-2009, 05:14 PM

The designers put the vents there because that is what is needed to keep the engine cool when you are having too much fun. Then later the VP of Foo-Foo and No Fun comes along and points out the mother-loving bed-wetting sissies will cry about water spots under the hood so they order them blocked them off.

Here in So Cal it rains 4 times a year and you can always pop your hood and dry things off after washing the care. The cool kids yank out the block off plates. I cant speak for the rest of the country that actually has "weather"

Mike W
Old 10-07-2009, 08:07 PM

Living in New Jersey, we get every season.. But HELL,,, Rally cars are meant to get dirty.. Nothing a little water and a towel won't fix..
Old 10-08-2009, 08:50 AM
Super Moderator

^ OR STEAM CLEANING and pressure wash with degreaser or engine cleaning foam. Thanks for the picts BlackBeast.
Old 10-17-2009, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlackBeast View Post
For the NACA Styled ducting vent, there is a lovely metal plate blocking most of the air flow from getting into the engine bay to help cool down that wonderful turbo. I have yet to decide if I want to completely remove the metal plate or modify it with some tin snips. I'll post back when I get around to this part.
Well, looks like tin snips were in order for the day.

The black plastic clips were the biggest PITA. I lost one of them somewhere in the engine bay when pulling it off. Don't expect the plate to come off in perfect shape either, unless you have a special tool to pull those off. The metal clips came off easy with pliers.

I used a sharpie and eyeballed the extents of where I wanted to cut and went to town (hence the curved edge). The plate cut really easy. I took the pliers and slightly bent the edges up so there wouldn't be sharp edges protruding into the engine bay. Since I cut off part of the plate that one of the clips held it on with before, I used the left over clip for the hole that lost a plastic clip.

I'm glad everyone is enjoying the write up!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NACA in Modified 002.jpg (62.5 KB, 192 views)

Last edited by TheBlackBeast; 10-17-2009 at 07:43 PM.