ClubRalliart.com Your ad here

Go Back   ClubRalliart.com > 2009+ Lancer Ralliart Forums > 2009+ Lancer Ralliart General

Old 04-18-2013, 05:42 AM

Default Thinking of purchasing 2nd hand 2009 ralliart - is this a good price?

Hi guys,

After reading into this forum a lot, ive had my eyes set on purchasing a used 2009 ralliart in NZ (they've discontinued the model here, dealers dont know why either :S).

I've read a lot about the transmissions potential problems (although since im specifically searching for problems related to it, it could be why i think theres a lot of problems related to it), and so ill be asking the dealer to see if it gets covered by the bumper to bumper warranty on it as he said he will get me this with 3 years warranty.

If anyone with experience can tell me whether the bumper to bumper warranty will cover the transmission, let me know. Because otherwise i will purchase it for 1000 nzd cheaper without the warranty.

The car in question is on this link:
http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used...-550836557.htm

I realise some others has asked about the price in the US, but maybe if theres anyone closer to NZ could chime in on it. And it turns out to be around 26200 USD for the above model.

Also, is there anything in particular i should look out for when i ask for the full service history of this car from the dealer?

Ive also looked at this listing, a 2010 Ralliart model with roughly the same KMs but without the recaro seats (funny how it has the speakers though, i thought it was either the full package or nothing with these models).

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used...-565174509.htm

The dealer said he could give me 31000 NZD for it - around 28000 USD. (this guy wont budge on the price at all).

Ive asked the dealer how much ill be looking at to servicing the Ralliart and hes given me a booklet which shows "Non Turb 'B' Service" for 189 NZD, and says itll roughly be around 200-300 NZD every year. However i think ive read on this forum that someone used over 1600 USD for their 35000 mile maintenance

Since the cars nearing the 50000km mark (roughly 31000 miles), could i get the dealers to do the 35000 mile service before purchasing the Ralliart?

Just a final question with the recaro seats, can they be tilted fully back like most other cars with levers on the side? I cant recall if the one i test drove had a lever on the side...

Thanks for all your help guys, ive looked into the pros and cons for this car and right now the pros are greater than cons.

Just want to make sure if the price is right (if i should ask for lower, and if so what details i could use) and if the warranty is worth it.
Old 04-18-2013, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanho View Post

If anyone with experience can tell me whether the bumper to bumper warranty will cover the transmission, let me know. Because otherwise i will purchase it for 1000 nzd cheaper without the warranty.

You have to ask them if it will cover transmission since it is their warranty

Also, is there anything in particular i should look out for when i ask for the full service history of this car from the dealer?

Ask them to replace all fluids and filters before buying or show that the most important maintenance which is the transmission flush/filter change was done recently. The best thing is to ask for the history right now. post it here and let members tear it apart so you can go to the dealer with demands if you would buy the car.

Ive also looked at this listing, a 2010 Ralliart model with roughly the same KMs but without the recaro seats (funny how it has the speakers though, i thought it was either the full package or nothing with these models).

The dealer said he could give me 31000 NZD for it - around 28000 USD. (this guy wont budge on the price at all).

28000 Seems very steep. Then again I dont know about NZD pricing. I picked up mine for 40k km for 23,000 with racaro seats and HIDs

Ive asked the dealer how much ill be looking at to servicing the Ralliart and hes given me a booklet which shows "Non Turb 'B' Service" for 189 NZD, and says itll roughly be around 200-300 NZD every year. However i think ive read on this forum that someone used over 1600 USD for their 35000 mile maintenance

Non turbo? Now I am confused. all ralliarts come with a turbo.

Since the cars nearing the 50000km mark (roughly 31000 miles), could i get the dealers to do the 35000 mile service before purchasing the Ralliart?

That is a good call, and tell them to even do a 90km service so you will have a "brand new" car with no issues.

Just a final question with the recaro seats, can they be tilted fully back like most other cars with levers on the side? I cant recall if the one i test drove had a lever on the side...

They dont have a latch where you can drop them back. They are "sport" seats where there's a dial to adjust how far it goes back. Its not like normal seats.

Thanks for all your help guys, ive looked into the pros and cons for this car and right now the pros are greater than cons.

Just want to make sure if the price is right (if i should ask for lower, and if so what details i could use) and if the warranty is worth it.
Good luck man!
Old 04-18-2013, 06:08 PM

Hey thanks crak for your informative reply,

I will definitely ask about the transmission if its in the warranty.

As for the service, the service itself was called "Non Turbo B", not meaning the car doesnt have Turbo. Ill ask the dealer again if thats the exact service plan ill be looking at but from the initial test drive, thats what he said ill be using.

And regarding the seats, so thats why i dont remember there being a lever. Do you know how far it can go down at max? For times when i might want to just sleep in the car for half an hour or such.

Also i've attached the full service history which theyve sent me.

Is there anything of interest shown on it?

Thanks again
Attached Images
File Type: jpg history.jpg (121.0 KB, 11 views)
Old 04-18-2013, 06:40 PM

This car already has the transmission replaced in August 2011, IMHO that's a good thing, it's probably one of the last batch to receive a full replacement rather than a repair job. That pending recall on the seatbelt is interesting too. I've never heard of that.

$31K is a bit expensive. Even though you get wheels it seems to be unmodified I'd try to bring that down as much as you can. Although it is NZ dollars, how much did they sell for brand new in NZ?

Do not skimp on the warranty. Take it, anything can happen with these cars.
Old 04-18-2013, 07:10 PM

Alright, cool so that means the full transmission was already replaced to a new model (im guessing no repairs and was a complete replacement). Ill ask them if it was the full transmission that got changed just in case.

A friend of mines thinking its pretty bad that the transmission had to be replaced after such short time of owning (~2 years). How well do you think the replaced 2011 transmission will fare?

The Ralliart and EVO got phased out at the end of 2010 in NZ, but they were going for around 50,000 nzd for new stock Ralliart models back then.
Old 04-18-2013, 07:33 PM

Mine was replaced at pretty much the same time (early 2012) with 75,000 Km on the odo. It was completely stock too.

The transmissions in the earlier RA models from 09-10 have had problems, most of them are fixed under warranty.

There are a lot of twin clutch/DSG's over the past couple of years that have failed across a number of different manufacturers (VW esp.)

I think it comes down to teething problems with new technology being introduced into mass production.

If the new price for an RA was $50K NZD, then $31K NZD for a used RA is probably bang on in comparison to prices across the world.

I paid $28,000 for my base RA second hand in 2011 (Australia)
Old 04-18-2013, 08:21 PM

pretty much whats already noted, but as to service price... hmm i don't think they want to scare u off from buying the car so i think its just their tactic of avoiding direct answers. Major service can be more like $200-300 x 2-3 depending on Kms. Unless there's capped price servicing in NZ. Capped price service doesn't apply to 09 models here in Australia, not sure about NZ.

-GST basemap
-AMS boostpill
-Works Highflow Drop in air filter
-EVO X BPV
-UR UICP
Old 04-18-2013, 08:28 PM

True, thanks for that info Rokpapaziz, i hope the 2011 transmissions did get an upgrade compared to the previous transmissions.

Seems like the new transmission has gone around 11000km since the replacement at 33000kms.

Ill just have to see if the warranty covers the transmission now incase the problem does come back at a similar time to when the previous problem occurred.

Is there anything in particular i should ask about before i make the final purchase? (apart from what crak has said)

Ill be asking for a full 90000km check (although i think i heard the dealer say they wont do any service checks if its already been checked recently) and for all fluids and filters to be checked.
Old 04-18-2013, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tencents View Post
pretty much whats already noted, but as to service price... hmm i don't think they want to scare u off from buying the car so i think its just their tactic of avoiding direct answers. Major service can be more like $200-300 x 2-3 depending on Kms. Unless there's capped price servicing in NZ. Capped price service doesn't apply to 09 models here in Australia, not sure about NZ.

How often is major servicing?

They want me to come in every 6 months if i want to have warranty on the car.

Thats when he said its around 189 NZD per service but i think youre right, there may be other costs involved with it.

Also, i dont think NZ has capped price either zzzz
Old 04-18-2013, 08:40 PM

I'd check what they cover under warranty. If it's a Mitsubishi dealer they should honour the 5 year warranty on all mechanical parts. Which means you should have about 1 year left. That is how I got my gearbox replaced, I didn't buy extra warranty from the dealer (not Mitsubishi).

The gearbox services are very expensive, over $1000, but since yours has been replaced recently you probably don't have to worry about this just yet.