ClubRalliart.com Your ad here
Old 10-12-2009, 02:07 PM

Default Black wheels on the cheap budget

So, Daitonsralliart posted a thread and showed off his new RA with nice black wheels ( http://www.clubralliart.com/showthread.php?t=292 ). I thought I would post for everyone a quick how to on getting yourself a set of wheels better than stock. I've always preferred a matte black finish for wheels (ran with that on my last car). On my last car I used spray paint which chipped after a few years (something I expected to happen, but acceptable).

Daitonsralliart pointed out that he used something called Plasti Dip. http://www.plastidip.com/ Their website says both Lowes and Home Depot carry it, I could only find it at Home Depot. I decided to give it a try this time instead. I got 4 cans of the Plasti Dip spray paint which turned out to be just right.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BlackWheels 001.jpg (103.5 KB, 124 views)
Old 10-12-2009, 02:12 PM

For prep, remove wheels from the car, remove the center caps and then wash. I used a commonly found dish detergent like Dawn or Palmolive to scrub off any grease or road grime - worked great. Be sure to dry them with a lint free towel to avoid water spotting, then let them dry to make sure no water is left in cracks or crevices.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BlackWheels 002.jpg (122.0 KB, 42 views)
Old 10-12-2009, 02:28 PM

For actually painting the wheels, paint the center caps separate from the wheels so they don't get stuck together. Don't forget a drop cloth if you don't want the spray to coat other stuff!

The directions on the can will indicate keeping the wheels 12"-16" away from the painting surface. I found 6" away worked better for me. I gave it about 3 coats. First coat was real splotchy. Second coat was almost there with only a few areas showing through. Third coat finished things off nicely. Never apply to thick, never hold can in one spot too long. Always keep moving!

For the spokes of the wheels I came up with a workflow that did rather well. One wheel at a time, I would paint it in the following order. Sides of spokes first, edges of wheels second, faces of spokes third and the inside of the wheel third. Steady strokes from outside of the wheel towards the center for each face. I used the valve stem as a marker to make sure didn't miss any faces.

I did not mask off the tire as I am getting new ones soon. However the paint over the rubber came out as a nice permanent shine. I might just do this to all new tires I get... I did not mask off the valve stem either as I thought a silver valve stem on a black wheel would look weird. Lug nuts were left chrome. Later I might add a little red paint to the Diamond Star in the center of the center cap...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BlackWheels 003.jpg (89.1 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg blackwheels 004.jpg (114.8 KB, 93 views)
Old 10-12-2009, 02:34 PM

Finished product!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg blackwheels 005.jpg (108.6 KB, 118 views)
File Type: jpg blackwheels 006.jpg (105.7 KB, 146 views)
Old 10-12-2009, 03:37 PM

Nice write up! Lovin' those matte black rims!
Old 10-12-2009, 04:06 PM

Thanks! Yeah, I'm gonna have to break the news to my wife soon that I'm in love with another...
Old 10-13-2009, 09:19 AM

Looks great! I might have to do this on my WW Ralliart soon, and probably do the chrome ring on the front at the same time.
Old 10-13-2009, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlackBeast View Post
Thanks! Yeah, I'm gonna have to break the news to my wife soon that I'm in love with another...
Watch yourself. I don't think that we could have a Ralliart meet without you.
Old 10-13-2009, 12:38 PM

Send a message via AIM to xXLOUROXx

looks nice might have to do it thsi weekend i have a question has anyone tried it on the body i like to know if it effects the paint or it jst goes on like vinyl
Old 10-13-2009, 02:37 PM

Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by xXLOUROXx View Post
looks nice might have to do it thsi weekend i have a question has anyone tried it on the body i like to know if it effects the paint or it jst goes on like vinyl
I've not tried it on the body. When I painted, I painted onto the tires from the wheel. Since I painted last week, one of the tires has had some of the Plasti-Dip peel off from it. It doesn't appear to have caused any damage, but it is rubber after all and not body paint.

I suppose you could try to paint a less important object and see if the product peels off without harm. Try at your own risk! Just let us know what happens.