ClubRalliart.com Your ad here
Old 04-03-2012, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalliNurse View Post
Also, it'll cost you more just to change the damn spark plugs...from what i understand (i might be wrong)...subies have to get the whole engine out just to change the damn plugs...
even though TC-SST fluid is expensive...at least there is alternatives for that...RA's TCSST is "butta-smoooth" though
This isn't totally true.
To do the spark plugs, you don't have to pull the whole motor out to do it.
There is 2 spark plugs on each side of the motor, and they are towards the center on each side.
You do however, have to remove the airbox, half the intake and the battery.
And they are a bitch to break loose and are at an awkward angle.
It took my step brother 10 minutes to remove each plug.

The boxer motor sucks ass to do anything on.
Besides the cute () sound they make; the "advantages" of the Boxer aren't worth it in my opinion.

They really aren't balanced better than an inline 4 like everyone says because they have side to side movement instead of front to back movement which is even worse for balance.

Their weight distribution is better but they still understeer like poop.

The HP to $$$$ ratio is dog shit compared to the 4b11T as well.
Any modest and honest STI or WRX owner will admit this.
If you spend $2,000 on a 4B11T, you'll need around $3,500 to hit the same numbers on the Boxer.

To do pretty much any power mods, you have to remove the intercooler; and if you want an intake, you have to remove the whole intake manifold first.

And the exhaust and intake are set up horribly for flow.
There are so many turns, curves and catalytic converters to go through that the car is choked out before it even makes it to the resonator, then it still has to go through the muffler.

Everything about the motor is inconvenient and expensive.
4 cams instead of 2, 2 exhaust manifolds, twice as many exhaust components, the entire layout is terrible if you want to do any mods or maintenance to it, after market parts are expensive as hell, and the production cost of the motor to begin with is ridiculous.
The negatives easily outweigh the benefits.

Subaru's are generally more comfortable for daily driving though, minus being stick most of the time.
Subaru doesn't have a good track record on their automatics either.

If you want strictly a daily driver that is stick with light or no mods, get a WRX or if you want a little sportier feeling, an STI.
If you want a sportier daily driver (a little less comfort), Twin Clutch, a track car, or something you want to mod beyond an exhaust; get a Ralliart or Evo.

My step brother owns a '05 STI and a '11 WRX, so this is coming from personal experience or from what I've seen.

2012 Evo X GSR-
Custom CBE / Custom Test Pipe / AEM Intake / Depo Racing UICP / GM 3-Port / ASNU 1100cc injectors / DW 300lph+ fuel pump / EvoD Surge Tank w/ Bosch 044 fuel pump / Fermented Corn Dextrose / Hotchkis rear sway bar and end links / Self Tuned
Old 04-03-2012, 09:08 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to BravoZero

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleKitchen View Post
This isn't totally true.
To do the spark plugs, you don't have to pull the whole motor out to do it.
There is 2 spark plugs on each side of the motor, and they are towards the center on each side.
You do however, have to remove the airbox, half the intake and the battery.
And they are a bitch to break loose and are at an awkward angle.
It took my step brother 10 minutes to remove each plug.

The boxer motor sucks ass to do anything on.
Besides the cute () sound they make; the "advantages" of the Boxer aren't worth it in my opinion.

They really aren't balanced better than an inline 4 like everyone says because they have side to side movement instead of front to back movement which is even worse for balance.

Their weight distribution is better but they still understeer like poop.

The HP to $$$$ ratio is dog shit compared to the 4b11T as well.
Any modest and honest STI or WRX owner will admit this.
If you spend $2,000 on a 4B11T, you'll need around $3,500 to hit the same numbers on the Boxer.

To do pretty much any power mods, you have to remove the intercooler; and if you want an intake, you have to remove the whole intake manifold first.

And the exhaust and intake are set up horribly for flow.
There are so many turns, curves and catalytic converters to go through that the car is choked out before it even makes it to the resonator, then it still has to go through the muffler.

Everything about the motor is inconvenient and expensive.
4 cams instead of 2, 2 exhaust manifolds, twice as many exhaust components, the entire layout is terrible if you want to do any mods or maintenance to it, after market parts are expensive as hell, and the production cost of the motor to begin with is ridiculous.
The negatives easily outweigh the benefits.

Subaru's are generally more comfortable for daily driving though, minus being stick most of the time.
Subaru doesn't have a good track record on their automatics either.

If you want strictly a daily driver that is stick with light or no mods, get a WRX or if you want a little sportier feeling, an STI.
If you want a sportier daily driver (a little less comfort), Twin Clutch, a track car, or something you want to mod beyond an exhaust; get a Ralliart or Evo.

My step brother owns a '05 STI and a '11 WRX, so this is coming from personal experience or from what I've seen.
And these reasons were why I was 100% satisfied when my Legacy was wrapped around the tree last January, even though it wasn't intentional. Got back behind the wheel of a Mitsubishi, and life was good.
Old 04-04-2012, 05:56 AM

I came across the following review. From my experience, and from what my friend with an '09 WRX has told me, it seems fairly accurate in terms of a bone stock comparison.

http://www.insideline.com/subaru/imp...preza-wrx.html
Old 04-04-2012, 09:04 AM

I think it is funny that Car and Driver can get the Ralliart 0-60 in 5.4 seconds and edmunds can only do it in 5.8. Me thinks edmunds only launches the car in automatic mode.
Old 04-04-2012, 11:04 AM

Stock for stock, the WRX has better tires.

If you put good tires on the Ralliart and by some miracle, a test driver manged to turn ASC off, things would be different.

Also, they have a professional driver testing the cars.
87.6% of people could never get that 0-60 in the WRX, with a stick.
The best my step brother ever did was a 5.5.

Subaru also forgot to put a front strut bar on the WRX. It has the worst body roll and understeer I've ever seen. haha
I have the perfect example, using the largest picture in the world.

Look how much wider my step brothers line ended up being compared to mine.
He kept doing it all day and it drove him nuts. Haha

But, like I was saying earlier, if you don't mind the manual, the WRX is a better DD.

2012 Evo X GSR-
Custom CBE / Custom Test Pipe / AEM Intake / Depo Racing UICP / GM 3-Port / ASNU 1100cc injectors / DW 300lph+ fuel pump / EvoD Surge Tank w/ Bosch 044 fuel pump / Fermented Corn Dextrose / Hotchkis rear sway bar and end links / Self Tuned
Old 04-04-2012, 11:14 AM

Agreed. The first thing my friend did with the WRX was stiffen up the suspension.

I'm amazed how well my car handles with just a set of Eibach Pro-Kit springs
Old 04-05-2012, 12:42 AM

the sort of objective:

why subaru:
- i live in a really bumpy city, and here my friend's WRX rides a lot smoother than mine.
- the WRX is harder to mistake for a regular impreza.
- stock for stock, the WRX makes a more attention grabbing sound.

why mitsu:
- pre mods, my RA murdered the crap out of my friend's WRX with light mods. (i am by no means any good at racing).
- SST is accommodating for when i'm lazy and want to full out auto my way to the grocery store, or when i want to full out smoke my friends for the lols (as stated above)

why neither:
- owning a rally car makes you look like a little kid depending where you live.
- if your roads suck like mine do, going from another car (i had an older volks) to a rally car is really uncomfortable.
- slightly bumpy roads will cause motion sickness.

the subjective:

i chose ralliart over subaru because i strongly dislike the look of subarus. i like how the lancer looks angry. where i live, ralliarts and evos are rare while WRXs and STIs are abundant and owned by all sorts of kid racer ricer types, so the ralliart was the more "mature" choice. i love this car to death. the fun factor is outstanding.
Old 04-05-2012, 04:53 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to BravoZero

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSSHT View Post
the sort of objective:

why subaru:
- i live in a really bumpy city, and here my friend's WRX rides a lot smoother than mine.
- the WRX is harder to mistake for a regular impreza.
- stock for stock, the WRX makes a more attention grabbing sound.

why mitsu:
- pre mods, my RA murdered the crap out of my friend's WRX with light mods. (i am by no means any good at racing).
- SST is accommodating for when i'm lazy and want to full out auto my way to the grocery store, or when i want to full out smoke my friends for the lols (as stated above)

why neither:
- owning a rally car makes you look like a little kid depending where you live.
- if your roads suck like mine do, going from another car (i had an older volks) to a rally car is really uncomfortable.
- slightly bumpy roads will cause motion sickness.

the subjective:

i chose ralliart over subaru because i strongly dislike the look of subarus. i like how the lancer looks angry. where i live, ralliarts and evos are rare while WRXs and STIs are abundant and owned by all sorts of kid racer ricer types, so the ralliart was the more "mature" choice. i love this car to death. the fun factor is outstanding.
Not sure if I agree with the "bumpy roads" statement. When I had the stock suspension on my RA, and even after installing coilovers, I never found the ride to be uncomfortable on any type of driving surface. Maybe that's because I'm used to driving a car with a modified suspension. But, your mileage may vary.
Old 04-06-2012, 01:19 PM

Bravezero, where I live the roads are total shit. My ralliart is still a baby at 25k kilometres (16k miles?)... That's the only reason. I don't really have a problem with it myself, but the idea is that it might not be for some people.

When I go out of town though, I have no actual complaints about the suspension. It's not as soft as my old volks, but it's not supposed to be.

Tags
evo, lancer, ralliart, subaru, wrx