ClubRalliart.com Your ad here
Old 08-08-2012, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggelis View Post
so now i read somewhere that running both the oem filter and the inline filter will cause the pressure to drop and the tranny wont shift right is this true?
Thats sucks. I have seen posts saying that people have had both filters. I dont know what to tell you. maybe ask some guys from RRE, they might know. LEt us know what you find out!
Old 08-08-2012, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crak View Post
Thats sucks. I have seen posts saying that people have had both filters. I dont know what to tell you. maybe ask some guys from RRE, they might know. LEt us know what you find out!
will do exyia said hes running both but it seems like ssp says not run both because it would cause a pressure problem? i made a thread on evom about it to see what people say about it i ll post here when i find out
Old 08-08-2012, 01:10 PM

Quote:
will do exyia said hes running both but it seems like ssp says not run both because it would cause a pressure problem? i made a thread on evom about it to see what people say about it i ll post here when i find out
i'm running an inline and an OEM filter (not OEM replacement). I guess I could toss the OEM one, but meh /shrug

what they're probably wanting to avoid is having too much filtration that causes more pressure in order to flow the fluid. I don't know the specs on the OEM SST pump (does anybody?), I don't even know if it's a variable rate. If it isn't, then it could result in a pump that's not pumping fast enough to get through a more dense set of filters

honestly, now that we're on the topic, I think all the talk lately of SST filters is overblown. It's just a filter - it filters shit. Remember the SST fluid ALSO has to cycle through the transmission (and cooler if you have one) - which is a huge component of what temperatures the SST will see (fluid needs to be cycled through the cooler as much as possible to stay as cool as possible). Causing a potentially more resistant flow path could cause problems
Old 08-08-2012, 01:22 PM

looking at the inline filter though that thing is tiny inside i dont know if that would restrict the flow at all or the opposite i upgraded the tranny cooler with a derale one and the old oil that came out of the tranny didnt have any metal shavings in it and the oil filter wasnt as bad as i thought it was gonna be after 35k
Old 08-08-2012, 03:44 PM

Quote:
looking at the inline filter though that thing is tiny inside i dont know if that would restrict the flow at all or the opposite i upgraded the tranny cooler with a derale one and the old oil that came out of the tranny didnt have any metal shavings in it and the oil filter wasnt as bad as i thought it was gonna be after 35k
micron rating is more important than physical size

though I bet the inline flows smoother, and (like mentioned), after you got all those metal shavings from break-in, I think maintaining a flow rate to keep the SST cool is more important

and based on that, my SST with SSP inline + OEM holds consistently with SSP Cooler 100% on all the time with all of my abuse and TX heat. so....those are my findings if it helps
Old 08-08-2012, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exyia View Post
micron rating is more important than physical size

though I bet the inline flows smoother, and (like mentioned), after you got all those metal shavings from break-in, I think maintaining a flow rate to keep the SST cool is more important

and based on that, my SST with SSP inline + OEM holds consistently with SSP Cooler 100% on all the time with all of my abuse and TX heat. so....those are my findings if it helps
the inline filter is a 20 micron filter not sure if thats alot or no my guess is no do you have the ssp oil pump or just the cooler cause that would make a big difference ssp's pump is a 2.5 gpm i think thats added to whatever the oem one is
Old 08-08-2012, 06:58 PM

Quote:
the inline filter is a 20 micron filter not sure if thats alot or no my guess is no do you have the ssp oil pump or just the cooler cause that would make a big difference ssp's pump is a 2.5 gpm i think thats added to whatever the oem one is
SSP cooler comes as a kit with a separate pump (another reason why it costs so much), so yes - and it pumps from the drain hole, so yes it's in addition to OEM. also allows the SSP cooler to run while the car is off

RRE doesn't think a seperate pump is needed (mike / sstevojr can chime in, but I remember it being mentioned on evom that OEM flows plenty), but it does have it's benefits. I like being able to cool off for a little longer while the car's off in the pits

but back on topic - I think if you've done 1-2 SST changes, stressing over what filter setups to use is a waste of time. I have personally laughed to myself over the silly debate on evom about the dodson filter. seriously, it's just a filter - and fluid is affordable now that you should think about doing a change more often now, making the filter even less important. fresh fluid will always be better than filtered used fluid
Old 08-08-2012, 07:26 PM

SSP says NOT to use the inline filter with oem filter so im gonna get a replacement hose and reconnect my cooler and just next time i do this (this is the first time) im gonna get the oem replacement reusable filter and call it a day now i gotta go to a parts store and get a piece of radiator hose and sell that inline filter since im not gonna be using it anymore
Old 08-08-2012, 09:04 PM

Quote:
SSP says NOT to use the inline filter with oem filter so im gonna get a replacement hose and reconnect my cooler and just next time i do this (this is the first time) im gonna get the oem replacement reusable filter and call it a day now i gotta go to a parts store and get a piece of radiator hose and sell that inline filter since im not gonna be using it anymore
are you referring to SSP as in Kris@SSP or Eric/David from SSP-TX. they're two entirely different sanctions run by different people. If it was seriously so detrimental to run both, Eric/David would have stopped me long ago.

I've been running hard on OEM + Inline. it's fine. If it's already in there, just don't worry about it. trans gets plenty of flow and temps stay under control under the hardest abuse in TX heat over here. don't know what else to tell you
Old 08-08-2012, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exyia View Post
are you referring to SSP as in Kris@SSP or Eric/David from SSP-TX. they're two entirely different sanctions run by different people. If it was seriously so detrimental to run both, Eric/David would have stopped me long ago.

I've been running hard on OEM + Inline. it's fine. If it's already in there, just don't worry about it. trans gets plenty of flow and temps stay under control under the hardest abuse in TX heat over here. don't know what else to tell you
Im not sure who responded i posted it on ssp's facebook page and they said not to run both the tranny already has a mesh filter inside of it they said theres no reason to running 3 filters i understand that you re using it with no problems but you have an additional oil pump that helps i dont know if the oem pump can keep up im trying to make it better not beeak it haha