ClubRalliart.com Your ad here
Old 10-29-2012, 01:25 PM

Default Sponsors

I had an idea last night about why only select people get sponsored. So, if some people do get selected, why? Is it as easy as to go to a shop and say, "hey, want to help build my car? I need some parts and in turn ill advertise your company on my car?"

I am sure there is more to it then that. What experiences do you guys have or what do you know of?

C
Old 10-29-2012, 02:18 PM

I think who you know plays a rather large role in it too.
Old 10-29-2012, 02:30 PM

Not to mention it also depends on how often you go to track and show events. The more you go the more advertising said shop/company will get and be more likely to sponsor you.
X IC Swap
UR UICP
UR LICP
X BPV
AMS HFC
UR Exhaust w Custom midpipe
Old 10-29-2012, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by p1llar View Post
I think who you know plays a rather large role in it too.
yup! Its not WHAT you know its WHO you know.

Also being one of the first people with the car helps.

zeRep
Old 10-29-2012, 10:00 PM
Regional Moderator

"Sponsorship" is quite relative, most forum/internet sponsors arent places that are building your engine or buying you parts, usually they offer discounts and on occasion test parts or labor, in exchange for slapping stix on your ride, and putting there name in your sig, it all depends on your show car/track car goals and situation. in addition to to who you know.... There's def alot of who you know involved..

I think both Schroth and the Simpson websites offer explanations of their sponsorship process.. You apply, they accept or reject your ap, and you get some free safety gear, in exchange for adspace on a car that is involved so many legal competitions per year..

The only mfgr. I know of that sponsors rides, is Mazda and they pay about $500 per competiton youve won, plus an overall bonus at years end with events like a redline time attack etc...

I was building my speed6 for the redline tour, as Mazda helps with cheap oem and test parts for it.. Then the event died.. Bummed.
Old 10-30-2012, 06:57 AM

So sit back and network. Seems very similar to the succession of nature.
Old 10-30-2012, 08:32 AM

When I was sponsored years ago I had a brand new car that was just redesigned and really didnt have many things available for it. We wrote a very detailed 15-20 page letter explaining our ideas, drawings of what the car was going to look like, asking for certain products, letting them know what shows we were planning to attend(and you better attend them), and of course explaining how we could help their company to numerous companies asking for sponsorship. We had a ridiculous amount of no letters come back to us but we also got a couple yes responses. Once you hook a couple big sponsors more jump in. I had twenty sponsors backing me as we built the car for a first of many shows. Auto Meter, Bridgestone, Recaro, Borla, Audiobahn, AEM, Nology, House of Kolor, and Air Ride Tecnologies just to name a few. We put over $30,000 into the car personally as well. Full one off wide body, orange & purple, supercharged, 19" wheels, full air ride. Traveled to NOPI Nationals, SEMA, Hot Import Nights, Import Revolution, and many other shows all over the US for 3 years. Winning is a big plus in the sponsors eyes and my car won four best of shows and over 15 first place trophies. Jada Toys made a toy car of mine and I was in numerous magazine. It takes a huge dedication and a good amount of money to really have the whole sponsorship process work for you.

D2 Racing USA
R1Concepts
Avant Garde Wheels

Avant Garde F142 Wheels 18x10.5 D2 Racing Air Suspension R1Concepts Drilled/Slotted Rotors Kit Unnwerke Fender Flares Rexpeed Carbon Fiber JDP Carbon Fiber Lip CBRD Rad Lite Turbo AMS Single Exhaust, Intercooler, & UICP Boostin Performance High Flow Cat Ultimate Racing Intake, Down Pipe & LICP
Old 10-30-2012, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markspd6 View Post
The only mfgr. I know of that sponsors rides, is Mazda and they pay about $500 per competiton youve won, plus an overall bonus at years end with events like a redline time attack etc...

I was building my speed6 for the redline tour, as Mazda helps with cheap oem and test parts for it.. Then the event died.. Bummed.
that's contingency. not really the same

company gives you money for winning an event with their product while meeting guidelines. Hoosier is HUGE on this in auto-x, which is (part of) why they're so popular there
Old 10-30-2012, 01:36 PM
Regional Moderator

Contingency just means you get more for wins, but it's all the same, its just that kind of sponsorship is limited to mazdas for real racing and not car shows. But, you don't actually have to race to join the mazda plan, you just have to plan on racing eventually.. . just like any sponsorships, you're only rewarded for the publicity you generate.. If you wanna do it, start hustling now!!

And have a few car buddies who do this, it's not really profitable, it's just a little ego parade for the owner.. Nice if you're really into your car and talking about it, not good if you just want freebies...
Old 10-30-2012, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay10ralliart View Post
When I was sponsored years ago I had a brand new car that was just redesigned and really didnt have many things available for it. We wrote a very detailed 15-20 page letter explaining our ideas, drawings of what the car was going to look like, asking for certain products, letting them know what shows we were planning to attend(and you better attend them), and of course explaining how we could help their company to numerous companies asking for sponsorship. We had a ridiculous amount of no letters come back to us but we also got a couple yes responses. Once you hook a couple big sponsors more jump in. I had twenty sponsors backing me as we built the car for a first of many shows. Auto Meter, Bridgestone, Recaro, Borla, Audiobahn, AEM, Nology, House of Kolor, and Air Ride Tecnologies just to name a few. We put over $30,000 into the car personally as well. Full one off wide body, orange & purple, supercharged, 19" wheels, full air ride. Traveled to NOPI Nationals, SEMA, Hot Import Nights, Import Revolution, and many other shows all over the US for 3 years. Winning is a big plus in the sponsors eyes and my car won four best of shows and over 15 first place trophies. Jada Toys made a toy car of mine and I was in numerous magazine. It takes a huge dedication and a good amount of money to really have the whole sponsorship process work for you.

Jay, that's really good advice and inspiring. Thanks for taking the time to write this up. I know this may be a long shot but do you still have the document available to read? I would love to give it a read.