ClubRalliart.com Your ad here

Go Back   ClubRalliart.com > Ralliart General > Ralliart Parts

Old 03-21-2011, 11:28 AM

On a serious note, I would stick with K&N, if you have had a history with them and no issues with maintenance of them, stick with what you feel good with and know.

I don't think that it is a issue on our cars in truth. The size of the inlet on the turbo is the factor that makes airflow restricted in our (ralliart's) case.

Theres a few posts in here that talk about aftermarket filters and intakes...
I know the post original says where to buy one... but, if theres no gain on getting one, why waste the money. IMO

QUOTE=MikeW-RRE;8688]The whole MAF inner dimension is a double edge sword.

If it is the same size as stock, well then how is it going to flow any more than stock?

If it is larger than stock, then the MAF will give a lower airflow signal to the ECU for the same amount of air flow. The motor runs leaner. This throws off the fuel trims as the ECU does its best to compensate for things. With a lower signal from the MAF you get a little more ignition advance also since the ECU thinks there is a lower load.

So you have a leaner mixture that would make more power, except that the RalliArt already runs fairly lean for a stock turbo car. You get a little extra ignition advance which on 93 octane might work but on 91 is a lot of knock. So you put on an intake that needs tuning. Once you retune it, it isn’t making any more power than it would have with a stock intake.

The turbo inlet on the RalliArt is tiny. Take your smallest Dixie cup. 2” diameter on the big end, 1 ½” diameter on the small end.

Here is the stock turbo inlet:

Put the Dixie cup inside:

Did I mention how small the stock turbo is? :-P

You already have a cold air intake that gets air from the grille area. The cross section of the stock MAF is already twice the cross section of the stock turbo. You have a huge panel filter that easily flows 350 WHP on an EVO X.

What exactly are you all trying to upgrade? Man I would love to sell you all intakes that made any power at all. I’d go buy myself some new shoes or something nice for my wife. So far they are all for show. Upgrade to a larger than EVO X turbo and now you could gain from something higher flowing. But by then you would make something full custom and move a bunch of stuff around.

Mike W[/QUOTE]
Old 03-21-2011, 11:41 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to BravoZero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midlifetoy View Post
On a serious note, I would stick with K&N, if you have had a history with them and no issues with maintenance of them, stick with what you feel good with and know.

I don't think that it is a issue on our cars in truth. The size of the inlet on the turbo is the factor that makes airflow restricted in our (ralliart's) case.

Theres a few posts in here that talk about aftermarket filters and intakes...
I know the post original says where to buy one... but, if theres no gain on getting one, why waste the money. IMO

QUOTE=MikeW-RRE;8688]The whole MAF inner dimension is a double edge sword.

If it is the same size as stock, well then how is it going to flow any more than stock?

If it is larger than stock, then the MAF will give a lower airflow signal to the ECU for the same amount of air flow. The motor runs leaner. This throws off the fuel trims as the ECU does its best to compensate for things. With a lower signal from the MAF you get a little more ignition advance also since the ECU thinks there is a lower load.

So you have a leaner mixture that would make more power, except that the RalliArt already runs fairly lean for a stock turbo car. You get a little extra ignition advance which on 93 octane might work but on 91 is a lot of knock. So you put on an intake that needs tuning. Once you retune it, it isn’t making any more power than it would have with a stock intake.

The turbo inlet on the RalliArt is tiny. Take your smallest Dixie cup. 2” diameter on the big end, 1 ½” diameter on the small end.

Here is the stock turbo inlet:

Put the Dixie cup inside:

Did I mention how small the stock turbo is? :-P

You already have a cold air intake that gets air from the grille area. The cross section of the stock MAF is already twice the cross section of the stock turbo. You have a huge panel filter that easily flows 350 WHP on an EVO X.

What exactly are you all trying to upgrade? Man I would love to sell you all intakes that made any power at all. I’d go buy myself some new shoes or something nice for my wife. So far they are all for show. Upgrade to a larger than EVO X turbo and now you could gain from something higher flowing. But by then you would make something full custom and move a bunch of stuff around.

Mike W
[/QUOTE]

Good point, thanks for posting that and thanks Mike for clarifying. This is why I don't plan on getting another intake, there's really no point. I only bought the filter because I wanted something better than the stock filter that might help with fuel economy and maybe a slight power increase, but even if I don't get either of these, the sound from a less restrictive filter is nice, my turbo and BOV is louder.
Old 03-21-2011, 12:06 PM

Yea, glad I could help.
Back to my sarcastic trends... Next time use the Search function.
Old 03-21-2011, 12:59 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Back to my sarcastic trends... Next time use the Search function.
Was that to the OP?
Old 03-21-2011, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BravoZero View Post
Was that to the OP?
OP? Not following.. I was jokingly saying it to you...
Old 03-21-2011, 02:13 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
OP? Not following.. I was jokingly saying it to you...
It's been an off-brain day today for me. OP means Original Poster, or the thread starter.
Old 03-21-2011, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BravoZero View Post
It's been an off-brain day today for me. OP means Original Poster, or the thread starter.
I thought it was Original Poster...Got it for sure now!

Off-brain day is acceptable... it is Monday...
I usually just don't say stuff in forums, I'm too much of a sarcastic as$ at times. Not sure how my wife has dealt with me for so long.
Old 03-21-2011, 02:25 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
I thought it was Original Poster...Got it for sure now!

Off-brain day is acceptable... it is Monday...
I usually just don't say stuff in forums, I'm too much of a sarcastic as$ at times. Not sure how my wife has dealt with me for so long.
Haha, I'm like that too, my girlfriend is used to it. My family, on the other hand, hates that. And yes, it is most certainly a Monday that's for sure.
Old 03-21-2011, 06:04 PM

Default op

thanks for all the input everyone.even though it got a little off topic but its all good.i ordered a k and n.its supposed to be here tomorrow.I didnt really order it with the intention of putting down a bunch more power or feeling any faster.My stock filter is super dirty and I figured why waste the money on a stock filter that isnt giving me any performance when i can get a k and n that might give me some.Plus ive read it sounds nice.so well see tomorrow if it does anything noticable.My mpg was noticably getting worse as well.Hopefully everything will be better tomorrow with a new filter.ill post if anyone is interested in the results?