ClubRalliart.com Your ad here

Go Back   ClubRalliart.com > 2009+ Lancer Ralliart Forums > 2009+ Lancer Ralliart Drivetrain
Home Forums Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2013, 10:04 AM

Default Ffl-2 not a good alternative - jacks trans.

Original post;

http://forums.evolutionm.net/10870477-post137.html

Quote:

Sorry for the slow response to this. I have been playing with different fluids in my personal test-mule and found the ffl fluid is not the same as the factory stuff. My trans developed a leak at the main seal where the t-case mates to the trans, and had an odd slipping issue in 4th gear when cold.

I then switched back to the factory SST fluid. The oil leak stopped and the 4th gear issue was gone.

I plan to spend more time on fluids here soon, but so far the only fluids I found which do not cause leaks and allow the clutches to work properly have been factory Nissan GT-R DCT fluid, SSP Gold, or OEM factory SST fluid.

There is something about those 3 fluids which have an ingredient we call the 'slime' coating. If you use a fluid in your SST which doesn't have this odd slime coating to it, the seals will leak. I have been unable to explain what this stuff is, but it's something the SST apparently needs. I know in the GT-R world this is not needed and many people are now using ATF in their GT-R, but the SST seems to get very upset if you do this.

For kicks I tried ATF in a known good SST and several quarts of the fluid leaked out of the seals in the trans. Again, I reinstalled the OEM SST factory fluid and the leak stopped. i never touched the seals. They leaked on their own with the new fluid I would try, then stop any time I went back to the OEM fluid.

So far I have played with ATF, engine oil, Nissan GT-R, Pentosin, SSP Gold, ffl and OEM SST fluid in the trans and all seem to make the unit run differently. Oddly enough the best fluid for shifting was straight Shell Rotella T engine oil, but everything else got pissed off with it in there.

I want to try to retest all of these fluids again with a fresh and rebuilt SST to see what happens. The SST I did these tests in previously was a factory untouched unit with a lot of miles.

Jack
JACKS TRANSMISSIONS
Old 07-25-2013, 11:36 AM

Good thing i havent done my tranny flush then! anyone wanna buy 8L of Pentosin fluid?
X IC Swap
UR UICP
UR LICP
X BPV
AMS HFC
UR Exhaust w Custom midpipe
Old 07-25-2013, 12:10 PM

Hard to believe, when razorlab (bryan) ran this in his SB400 for quite some time with no issues.. :/

zeRep
Old 07-25-2013, 12:21 PM

Oh did not know that. interesting. Also so many other people in the FFL-2 Fluid swap thread, but i also figure they do not look at their under carriage that often without the cover on to see if their seals are leaking.
X IC Swap
UR UICP
UR LICP
X BPV
AMS HFC
UR Exhaust w Custom midpipe
Old 07-25-2013, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverCorrupt View Post
Oh did not know that. interesting. Also so many other people in the FFL-2 Fluid swap thread, but i also figure they do not look at their under carriage that often without the cover on to see if their seals are leaking.
I've been running it for the past ~40K with no KNOWN issues.. :/

I don't know how visible the leak would be without removing the tranny from the Tcase.

z
e
R
e
p
Old 07-25-2013, 02:16 PM
Regional Moderator

the only reason i know of, the oils leaks through a seal like this, is when it's too thin for the application.. Or the seals themselves have issues, but since it stops when you go back, The fluids probly a close formula, but becomes too thin when hot or whatever, maybe those guys who had no issues, didn't notice small leaks? Or they had better cooling or ran in cooler temps.. So many variables. But, I've noticed in other cars, trans fluid is pretty sensitive stuff.
Old 07-25-2013, 04:14 PM

Basically, nobody panic, continue on with what you have been doing.
So hurry up and wait.

There are so many of us out there that have switched over to FFL-2 in the last 18 months approx. and have put tens of thousands of km or miles on their cars combined. I think if there was a problem we would of seen multiple people coming forward by now.

I hope to go drag racing with my car next weekend and do some field testing to see how this fluid holds up.
Old 07-25-2013, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal View Post
Basically, nobody panic, continue on with what you have been doing.
So hurry up and wait.

There are so many of us out there that have switched over to FFL-2 in the last 18 months approx. and have put tens of thousands of km or miles on their cars combined. I think if there was a problem we would of seen multiple people coming forward by now.

I hope to go drag racing with my car next weekend and do some field testing to see how this fluid holds up.
I hope you do go drag racing and run your car harder than usual, looking forward to a positive outcome and how the fluid performs. You should post videos of you drag racing, would be fun to watch.
RA - Built head - Built SST - ID1000cc - GTX3576R - GSC S2 cams - GSC beehives/Ti retainers - Timing Chain kit - ARP head studs - AMS fuel rail - AMS Widemouth dp - TurboXS exhaust - DrivenFab oil catch can - MAP oil pan - MAP cast manifold - AEM wideband - COBB 3 port EBCS - Tial QRJ - Sakura 3.5 intake - Kozmic Walbro 450 fuel pump - Depo Racing fmic/licp - TS engine/exhaust mounts - Cusco bar - D2 RS coil - Megan Racing control arms/toe - Whiteline sway bars - Brembo 6 piston

Tuned by TJ
Old 07-26-2013, 04:44 AM

Why dont people just stick with stock fluid for peace of mind? Thats what im planning to do.
Old 07-26-2013, 08:11 AM

^^^ That's what I'm doin! Why risk a $10,000 tyranny to save $100? It doesn't make sense to me.