ClubRalliart.com Your ad here
Old 03-10-2012, 12:04 PM

Default advice on wheels

hey guys I'm in the market for new wheels and would like some advice on some nice wheels out there. I don't know many sites and want other ideas aside from rota grids. Kinda tired of seeing them. Any help would be great thanks
Old 03-10-2012, 04:28 PM

I advise you to post more information. This is an unnecessarily vague post. What do you want these wheels, for? Will you be tracking the car? How aggressive do you want to go? What style of wheels do you prefer? Are you looking to buy cheap knockoffs or the real deal wheels? Do you know the difference? How wide do you want to go? Are you willing to roll/pull your fenders?

Realistically, we can only advise you once you have a list of options. Good places to start:

Enkei RC-T4
Enkei Raijin
Enkei GSR Wheels
Enkei RPF1
BBS MR Wheels
5Zigen FNOR1C
5Zigen GN+
XXR 530, 527, 521 (really cheap)

MB Battles are also popular, but they are really cheap and don't ever seem to balance, correctly. Varrs-Toen wheels are decent. I have a set of 2.2.1's on my Evolution X, right now. I would never track the car with them on, but that is why I have my factory Enkei's. Work wheels are great. Volk wheels are great. ROTA is okay, but they are merely knockoffs of the real thing (sorry if you already knew that).

Good Sites:

wotm.com (Wide-Open Throttle Motorsports)
nlmotoring.com
WheelStudio.com
SonicMotors.com
TireRack (they have some OZ wheels that are hard to find)
Gruppe-S Racing
TougeFactory.com
VividRacing.com (friends of mine)
Old 03-10-2012, 08:13 PM

I would also like to add that I have personally ordered at least one part from each of those vendors, except for Sonic Motors and Gruppe-S. However, the guys at Varr-Toen vouch for Sonic Motors, and Gruppe-S comes very highly recommended from friends.
Old 03-10-2012, 08:51 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to BravoZero

That list of vendors seems very legit, I've heard of most of them and have seen great feedback.
Old 03-11-2012, 12:05 AM

TSW is another I would add to the list. The Nurburgring's look great sitting still and roll nice too. I have yet to paint my calipers.

2010 WW Sedan
Custom RRE ABE
Cosworth Drop-in Filter
EvoX FMIC and UICP
ExoX BOV
Old 03-26-2012, 06:43 PM

How wide could you go without having to get a rollout?
Old 03-26-2012, 06:49 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWasRall1art View Post
How wide could you go without having to get a rollout?
That really depends on a lot of things:

-wheel size/width
-offset
-tire size/width
-ride height
-camber

At stock height or about an inch lower, you can get away with OEM EvoX wheels, which are 18x8.5 et38, with a simple fender roll. That's also with the 245/40-18 tire.
Old 03-26-2012, 07:00 PM

Yeah I'm looking into getting 18x8.5s and I planned on eventually going and inch or so lower, so that's perfect.
Old 03-26-2012, 07:26 PM
Super Moderator

With a simple fender roll you'll be fine, provided you stick with a 35 offset or higher. The factory wheels are 18x7 with a 46 offset.

My current wheels are 18x8, 45 offset with 235/40-18 tires, at -1.7 camber in the rear I don't rub at all. But then again it's not completely flush either.
Old 03-27-2012, 06:15 PM
Regional Moderator

ive rolled several Evo 8,9 and Xs, just recently rolled my RA and another member heres RA sportback, due to mfgr variations, all fenders are slightly diff distances from the hub, and on each car theyre actually asymmetrical. usually closer on the driver side(depends on mfgr) the RA wagon being slightly wider overall than my RA sedan.. and from a technical point of view most of the clearance work i do on cars isnt even rolling, its grinding the bumper coupler down, the coupler on the RA sportback is huge!! it has a large piece of white plastic holding it in, not great for lowering IMO... the sedan has the same, but alot smaller, i also ground(tapered) the painted bumper to get smoother lines and a bit more clearance..

for anyone looking to change wheels ever!! id rec doing a roll just to be safe, if you ever wanna try somebodys used wheels/tires out, youll feel alot better trying them out with rolled fenders.. and once the fenders been bent, it can become worse during the roll. so for the money its a wise investment.. even if you have to it 2X..

if its done well with an eastwood roller, you wont notice it all on this car!!