ClubRalliart.com Your ad here
Old 02-16-2012, 09:56 PM

Whatever it is, should be covered under warranty, since you're having the same issue that I am, and mine is stock right now. I'll try to get you a case number for your techs to reference to show them its not your fault.
Old 02-17-2012, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caper6 View Post
took the tune out,it was the tuner from cobb tuning,the computer was reset in the car,mitsubishi said you have to do this anytime you add aftermarket parts,was good for about 4 days,nothing else is done to the car just the exhaust and a upgraded blow off valve,I have the the tuner from cobb which is supposed to work with the exhaust with a stage 2 map,I did actually have the cobb tuning high flow cat taken out and they put in a high flow ceramic,even with the yune in the car was still shutting off,caper6
Quote:
ok at least I know now that the car shutting down has nothing to do with my exhaust,can someone explain to me exactly what they do for a tune,with my exhaust opened up so much I have alot of carbon build up,can the car be adjusted to work with my exhaust to stop the backfiring so it's not running so rich and does anyone have an idea what it would cost me
  • 1) Don't necessarily rule out your mods yet.

Let's put Trogdor's situation aside for a second here.
To try and save you the torture of going to the dealer again, I want to eliminate a few other possibilities here.
Most Mitsu techs don't know what the hell they are doing anyway.

You said you had a upgraded blow off valve....

What brand is it?

And the most important question,
by blow off valve do you mean:

A) Recirculating,
All ends of the "blow off valve" are connected to a tube, recirculating the excess pressure back into the intake elbow, like the stock one does.

**This is a Bypass Valve (BPV)**

or

B) Venting to atmosphere,
The really loud "ricey" one that has one side opened and is...... venting the excess pressure to the atmosphere instead back into the intake elbow; which is also called VTA "Venting To Atmosphere".

**This is a Blowoff Valve (BOV)**

Venting to atmosphere is a bad idea.
If you add cold weather on top of that, it will make it even worse; if you live in the northern hemisphere right now.
Without a proper tune, you've got yourself a recipe for disaster and that will cause your car to run like dog turd, especially with the SST.
It will run like this until your motor gets murdered by that BOV, get tuned or you swap to a BPV.
There are so many fail safes that if one thing is off your whole car goes haywire to try to protect itself.

v v v If this is not the case, move on to number 2. v v v

2012 Evo X GSR-
Custom CBE / Custom Test Pipe / AEM Intake / Depo Racing UICP / GM 3-Port / ASNU 1100cc injectors / DW 300lph+ fuel pump / EvoD Surge Tank w/ Bosch 044 fuel pump / Fermented Corn Dextrose / Hotchkis rear sway bar and end links / Self Tuned

Last edited by KyleKitchen; 02-17-2012 at 04:47 AM. Reason: Smaller posts
Old 02-17-2012, 02:50 AM

• 2) Check all of the vacuum lines from your boost controller.

**Stock Boost Controller**

The boost controller is located in the upper corner of your engine bay, attached to the back of your stock airbox right next to your ECU. There are 2 lines coming off of it...... Follow them.

My engine bay looks a little different than yours but I labeled where everything is supposed to be.

**Boost Controller Lines**

Those lines go to your wastegate, the compressor outlet elbow (which is on the far end of the upper intercooler pipe near the turbo) and your intake elbow. The compressor outlet elbow line splits off into a "T" and the other line goes down to the intake elbow. We really don't need to worry about the intake elbow, but you can check it if you want.

Make sure this line is connected.

Make sure this one is too.

If the compressor or wastegate line comes off, it will run exactly how you described and exactly how the video showed.
I know this from personal experience.
The car sounds like it has shitty cams when it is idling.
The ECU is either sensing a boost spike or vacuum leak and is disabling everything to protect it from being damaged.
Which is why all of those service lights come on.

v v v 3 v v v

2012 Evo X GSR-
Custom CBE / Custom Test Pipe / AEM Intake / Depo Racing UICP / GM 3-Port / ASNU 1100cc injectors / DW 300lph+ fuel pump / EvoD Surge Tank w/ Bosch 044 fuel pump / Fermented Corn Dextrose / Hotchkis rear sway bar and end links / Self Tuned

Last edited by KyleKitchen; 02-17-2012 at 04:35 AM.
Old 02-17-2012, 03:01 AM

• 3) There is also a vacuum line on your BPV/BOV.
It is the smaller line that connects to your intake manifold.

Yours will look slightly different than mine, but it all goes to the same place.

Again, this is just another possibility to try before going to the dealer.

I did work an 11 hour shift today and I'm exhausted.
I read the whole thread, but If I missed something that already rules any of this out, ignore all of this and let me know. ^^

2012 Evo X GSR-

Last edited by KyleKitchen; 02-17-2012 at 04:34 AM.
Old 02-17-2012, 04:13 AM

• To answer your question about tuning:
There is so much information about that, I would have to make another thread.
I think I will actually.
We don't have enough info about self tuning and custom tuning over here anyway.

From my understanding you are using a COBB AccessPort.
Basically that is just a more aggressive version of the Mitsubishi factory tune but COBB has different "base maps" for different mods and fuel octanes.

The downside to the AccessPort is that they are still just a "base map" and are not custom made for your car, and are still less aggressive than a custom tune because they must have a buffer zone so that lots of Ralliart's can use it safely.
You can't slap a custom tune on another Ralliart and expect it to work like the AccessPort would, not without blowing the motor anyway.

A custom tune can cost anywhere from $100-$1000, depending on where you go and the average I'd say is between $300-$500.

But please, TAKE YOUR CAR TO SOMEONE WHO KNOWS HOW TO TUNE MR'S AND RALLIART'S.
The SST is very finicky and if you take it to a tuner that doesn't know shit from chocolate cake, he will blow it up guaranteed and you will be out $10,000, a car and a warranty.

The MR's and Ralliart's rely on a few extra tables/maps when tuning it that the GSR does not.
Most tuners do not know how to use these tables accurately with the SST transmission.

So look up reviews of tuners in your area before you pick one.
  • If you're having a hard time understanding anything I've posted, re-read it a few times if you have to and ask questions.
Welcome to ClubRalliart by the way.
We are all a family here and we are more than willing to help.

2012 Evo X GSR-

Last edited by KyleKitchen; 02-17-2012 at 04:37 AM.
Old 02-17-2012, 10:12 AM

Quote:
the blow off valve is from cobb tuning,I'm going to have to google to see if there is anyone who tunes around here in kitchener ontario,I may have to make a trip to toronto unfortunately,I no longer have the factory exhaust either,Is there a aftermarket exhaust that now fits the 2011 ralliart without customizing it?If so where could I purchase it?
There are many brands for exhaust. Ultimate Racing is one, their office is in Toronto, you can also look at CP-E, Borla, Magnaflow, HKS etc.. The only brand with fitment issues is DC Sports.
You can purchase them online through corresponding websites.
The only reputable tuner in Toronto is Magnus Motorsports. I would not trust anyone in Kitchener with my SST.
Old 02-17-2012, 10:15 AM

Does it look like this?

If it does then thats a BPV and you're okay there.

Did you get a chance to check all of those vacuum lines?

There is nothing wrong with your exhaust, an exhaust is an exhaust. It's just pipe.
I made my exhaust myself.
But if you want to go aftermarket you can buy any exhaust that is made for the 2009-2010 Ralliart.
It's the exact same car and exact same parts.

Magnus Motorsports is in Concord, about an hour away from you and they are pretty well known in the Canadian Evo community.
http://magnusmotorsports.com/tuning

It's just tuners in Canada tend to be more expensive than ones that are stateside.

About 3 hours from you in Avon, NY there is Street Tuned Motorsports and I don't know about their SST tuning ability.
http://www.streettunedmotorsports.com/

And AMS is about 8 hours from you.
But they're meh for the SST.

2012 Evo X GSR-

Last edited by KyleKitchen; 02-17-2012 at 10:25 AM.
Old 02-17-2012, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxzas View Post
The only reputable tuner in Toronto is Magnus Motorsports. I would not trust anyone in Kitchener with my SST.
I second the recommendation for Magnus. I had my Ralliart done by Marco last year and just brought my Evo in today as I start on a two year plan to get it over 400HP.
Old 02-17-2012, 10:28 AM

Default 2011 ralliart

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeGee View Post
I second the recommendation for Magnus. I had my Ralliart done by Marco last year and just brought my Evo in today as I start on a two year plan to get it over 400HP.
what did that tune cost you/
Old 02-17-2012, 10:36 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to BravoZero

Quote:
So a cat backed exhaust is only the piping being changed after the factory cat?where I changed everything which is why I could be having problems with it running rich cause theres to much flow,so should I change the down pipe back along with the cat pipe?I mean I've have alot of carbon and backfiring,plus my fuel milliage is 250km around town
Let me ask you this... did you research any of this before just taking it to a shop and having them do work on it or throw parts on? In order to understand what each part is and how it functions, you NEED to do research, period. You can't mod a car and expect it to be fine without the know-how.

A "catback" exhaust is basically everything after the catalytic converter, whether it has a resonator, muffler, or just a straight pipe. A turboback is everything from the turbo to the end of the car, including the o2 housing, downpipe, catalytic converter (or high flow cat or test pipe, depending on what you want), and the catback exhaust.

Turbocharged engines run rich, even when it's tuned. If you're running super rich as you described and having backfiring, you have a bad situation going on. Something with the ECU or the tune itself could be causing issues and overcompensating with extra fuel to prevent detonation or running too lean. Basically, it seems that your engine is running more fuel to prevent itself from blowing up.

The best thing to do is revert the entire car back to stock, reflash the stock ECU rom, clear the codes in the computer and see what happens. If it's still happening, you have a major problem on your hands.