ClubRalliart.com Your ad here

Go Back   ClubRalliart.com > 2009+ Lancer Ralliart Forums > 2009+ Lancer Ralliart General

Old 12-17-2012, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew View Post
There are people that have made the swap.

http://www.clubralliart.com/showthread.php?t=2686
Thanks and what the part number I provided the correct one for the evo x?
Injen SRI, UR UICP & LICP, UR 4.5 IC, COBB AP custome stg 2 tune, 3in TBE, Whiteline front strut bar, RRM rear strut bar, tint, roof spoiler, 2.5 turbo compressor outlet pipe, AMS BOV, AMS Boost Pill, TWE Catch Can, Megan Racing Coil Overs

Future Engine and Tranny Mods:
Water Meth Kit
SSP Oil Cooler
Fan for Stock Trans Cooler w/ washable filter

Future Suspension Mods:
Sway Bars
Rear Diff Bushing Kit
Cusco 4 or 5 pt Brace
Front Cross Member
Old 12-17-2012, 01:48 PM
Regional Moderator

Not sure if you wanna buy it new, its prob exp... And easier find used.. And yes both aluminum crash bars will fit, the front and rear is an aluminum bar with steel brackets(not sure theyre sold together) you need to make a few small changes to fit, but only moving a few things around..

I have done it, if you have any questions..

And you can esily make the evo X grill with holes fit into our bumpers as well, if youre willing to take some serious chances on the work.. Cutting out the original bumper and swapping some grill pieces.. I backed out on trying it, but if youre skilled enough, you can make it fit..

And i never got around to trying it, but yes you should be able to cut holes in the steel bar, but it will most likely need to be reinforced after cutting... So between the extra work, and the benefit of losing 12lbs up front. Id find an evo X crash bar and just swap it!!

Last edited by Markspd6; 12-17-2012 at 02:03 PM.
Old 12-17-2012, 02:13 PM

The Evo X crash beam is surprisingly cheap, all things considered. As far as having to reinforce the stock RA one after cutting....well that is shear opinion. My personal opinion is that a properly cut steel crash bean from a RA is stronger than the aluminum one from the Evo X. I would definitely just buy X beam, considering the price and convenience of it. As far as trying to get the X grill mounted on a RA, good luck with that. I have yet to see it done and look anywhere near non vomit inducing. That is the entire reason this bezel was designed.

http://www.trademotion.com/parts/200...gramCallOut=13

Last edited by Drew; 12-17-2012 at 02:17 PM.
Old 12-17-2012, 02:38 PM
Regional Moderator

Just make sure its got all the brackets and pieces, then youre all good!!

And no you cannot use the OEM crash bar after cutting.... Its only a slim flat piece of metal, with minimal reinforcement. to introduce air holes youd have to basically destroy it, and cut away the reinforement.. The guy from road race eng and i talked about this as a project, but with the hassles, and costs it ran more than just buying the evo X bar... So, We never tried it.. But, in his expert op. its worthless as a crashbar after modding, unless you reinforce it.. And he drives this car, tunes and builds them, so its not really my op, im using,..

And actually it wouldnt be that hard to fit the evo X grill, you just need to cut the original bumper the fitment is actually quite good, i just didint have the balls to cut down my original bumper, when i can score an extra, ill try this mod... But, i promise you for snyone who does bodywork, you could make a perfect fitting evo X grill inside the RA bumper, the trick is having the skills no to destroy it with all the little cuts involved,..

Last edited by Markspd6; 12-17-2012 at 02:43 PM.
Old 12-17-2012, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew View Post
The Evo X crash beam is surprisingly cheap, all things considered. As far as having to reinforce the stock RA one after cutting....well that is shear opinion. My personal opinion is that a properly cut steel crash bean from a RA is stronger than the aluminum one from the Evo X. I would definitely just buy X beam, considering the price and convenience of it. As far as trying to get the X grill mounted on a RA, good luck with that. I have yet to see it done and look anywhere near non vomit inducing. That is the entire reason this bezel was designed.

http://www.trademotion.com/parts/200...gramCallOut=13
thanks allot this is very helpfull, and will I only need to purchase part number 13 of a few other items?
Injen SRI, UR UICP & LICP, UR 4.5 IC, COBB AP custome stg 2 tune, 3in TBE, Whiteline front strut bar, RRM rear strut bar, tint, roof spoiler, 2.5 turbo compressor outlet pipe, AMS BOV, AMS Boost Pill, TWE Catch Can, Megan Racing Coil Overs

Water Meth Kit
SSP Oil Cooler

Future Suspension Mods:
Sway Bars
Rear Diff Bushing Kit
Cusco 4 or 5 pt Brace
Front Cross Member
Old 12-17-2012, 03:31 PM
Regional Moderator

Actually... It Looks like you have to buy several parts, you need the bar(looks like it comes with brackets) but you also need the bumper piece, inlets clips etc.. Ill go through the numbers,

And my SSP brackets just showed, so if you can find just the aluminum bar for cheap? I can prob sell you all the other parts... From the extra one, i have...

Looks like 13, 16, 17, 18, and 19 for a full swap, but if youre only doing it for weight? You could skip the inlet pieces, but id get the bumper pieces just in case..

Also, you might need the IC hangers? I think theyre built into our crashbars? I skipped em altogether..

Last edited by Markspd6; 12-17-2012 at 03:36 PM.
Old 12-17-2012, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RALM View Post
thanks allot this is very helpfull, and will I only need to purchase part number 13 of a few other items?
I think people are getting confused as to the point of this thread. If you are looking at the bezel, which is what this thread is about, then all you need is #13. If you are looking at trying to fit the Evo entire grill in to a Ralliart, which I have heard countless people say it would be easy, but NO ONE be able to accomplish, then you would need much more. Mangnok swapped the entire front bumper over. But I have not seen a single RA bumper with the Evo grill installed. Not one. I agree that it could be done, but I also can see the reason why I have never seen it done. Parking the two cars beside each other is enough to see that front bumpers are a good bit different.
Old 12-17-2012, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markspd6 View Post
And no you cannot use the OEM crash bar after cutting.... Its only a slim flat piece of metal, with minimal reinforcement. to introduce air holes youd have to basically destroy it, and cut away the reinforement.. .
Calling the piece a crash bar (myself guilty) is really a stretch. That isn't what Mitsubishi calls it, because that isn't what it is. It is a front bumper reinforcement. Do you know what the exact same piece is made of in the 2g eclipse and other cars? Fiberglass. Yes, fiberglass.

And coming from someone that actually cut theirs (I'm quite sure Mike would agree), that is not just a thin piece of metal. That is pretty solid steel. I do remember Mike cutting his, with HUGE gaping holes. You don't have to get that crazy, if you are cutting it for more flow. Here is mine...

Running the cut steel beam (as I cut mine) vs the Evo X OEM beam vs the JDM Evo X OEM beam through FEA analysis software shows that the effectiveness of the cut beam to resist deformation from impact is equal to the Evo X aluminum beam and TWICE as strong as the JDM Evo X beam (because it's much smaller). These things aren't "bumpers". Cutting it or not cutting it wouldn't help or hurt you in an impact over 5mph.

Having said that, they are a PITA to cut because they are strong, and buying the Evo X beam is a MUCH easier alternative. That is coming from somewhere that has cut theirs. If the Evo X reinforcement was anywhere near that cheap when I did mine, I would have not cut mine, and just replaced it.

Last edited by Drew; 12-17-2012 at 06:25 PM.
Old 12-18-2012, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markspd6 View Post
Actually... It Looks like you have to buy several parts, you need the bar(looks like it comes with brackets) but you also need the bumper piece, inlets clips etc.. Ill go through the numbers,

And my SSP brackets just showed, so if you can find just the aluminum bar for cheap? I can prob sell you all the other parts... From the extra one, i have...

Looks like 13, 16, 17, 18, and 19 for a full swap, but if youre only doing it for weight? You could skip the inlet pieces, but id get the bumper pieces just in case..

Also, you might need the IC hangers? I think theyre built into our crashbars? I skipped em altogether..
Thanks an im guessing the all I will need it #13 since im going to get the bumper bezel. I just dont want to have to cut the beam.

Water Meth Kit
SSP Oil Cooler

Future Suspension Mods:
Sway Bars
Rear Diff Bushing Kit
Cusco 4 or 5 pt Brace
Front Cross Member
Old 09-06-2013, 07:52 PM

Hey, sorry to bring a old thread back to life just wanted to know if anyone can verify if part # 13 is all that is needed for the evo x bumper reinforcement swap, also with the bezel is there a template provided for cutting, I know it was mentioned in the thread but didn't see any confirmation of this, I'm sure I can figure out how to center and position it if needed but a template would make life a lot easier.