ClubRalliart.com Your ad here

Go Back   ClubRalliart.com > Miscellaneous > Off-topic

Old 04-18-2012, 01:43 PM

Default Alright computer people, i need help.

Hello,
I am new to building computers, in fact, I built my first computer last night and have been having problems with the Post test. I consulted the manual and it doesnt have any info on what my problem is. When I turn the computer on, everything has power, all the fans, the led lights and the graphics cards. I hear one short beep after about 10 seconds and then hear a different sounding longer beep not long after that. I have no display on my moniter either. I tried hdmi through both GPU's and through the motherboard itslef and through a VGA cable with no picture on anything. Tonight when i get back from class I am going to try the whole troubleshooting process by starting with just the CPU and CPU fan and add hardware as the post test passes. If anyone has any idea as to what my problem is, your imput would be greatly appreciated. I was hoping my first build would go flawlessly but here I am.

My rig:
NZXT Guardian 921 Case (4 fans)
asus p8z68v-pro/gen3 motherboard
intel i7 2600k CPU
corsair vengance 8GB ram 1600mhz
Seagate barracuda 2TB 7200 rpm hdd
Cooler master CPU cooler
Cooler master silent pro gold 1200W power supply
dual EVGA GTX 570 sli
Asus cd/dvd rw disk drive

Thanks again,

-Aaron
Old 04-18-2012, 01:51 PM

sweet sounding rig, unfortunately, I've never built one from the ground up! It could be an individual component as you proposed though. Adding one at a time is a good start. In fact, I'd pull the graphics cards first and see if it boots with the on board video. those are notorious for causing boot problems.
Old 04-18-2012, 02:15 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to BravoZero

Try clearing the CMOS and start over. I just build a computer a week ago and had issues with the ASRock mobo not wanting to respond on first boot. Cleared the CMOS and it worked after that. Otherwise, try hitting F2 when the fans start spinning and see if you can at least bring up the BIOS, it's possible that your mobo might have your dedicated GPU set to the PCI fields, not PCI-E.

Here's my budget build setup:

-Intel Core i7 2600k
-Corsair Vengeance 8gb DDR3 1600
-EVGA GTX560 Ti 1gb GDDR5
-Corsair TX650 non-modular power supply
-Sound Blaster X-Fi PCI-E x1
-Asus PCE-N13 wireless
-ASRock Z68 Extreme3/Gen3 for Sandy Bridge 1155 processors
-Samsung 500gb SATA2 HDD
-Mushkin 60gb SATA3 SDD for boot and OS
-Cooler Master Storm Scout case

Last edited by BravoZero; 04-18-2012 at 02:22 PM.
Old 04-18-2012, 02:33 PM

Pay very close attention to the beeps. How many, short vs long and how many. This is a PC's Diagnostic Code. One short beep alone is a solid, good boot from CMOS.

2010 WW Sedan
Custom RRE ABE
Cosworth Drop-in Filter
EvoX FMIC and UICP
ExoX BOV
Old 04-18-2012, 08:48 PM

As an A+ Microsoft and Cisco certified tech of building custom gaming machines for 15 years sounds like something simple. Most likely video card or your Ramm is not seated properly.

Please make sure to power everything down and turn off the actual power supply and wait 30 seconds after that to allow any capacitors to drain. Make sure the green LED on the motherboard has gone out and keep one hand in contact with the metal chasis or use a static strap connected to the chasis so you don't zap your new computer with static electricity etc. I hope this helped.
Old 04-18-2012, 09:00 PM

I have to agree with Jackal, it is most likely a video card issue.
Old 04-18-2012, 09:22 PM

If it was memory, he would be getting long beeps. It very well could be video card. Make sure it's power cables are plugged in correctly.

Sounds like he got the normal post beep, which is good, then he mentions a different sounding beep. Video cards will beep these days if something is up, usually power related. I've never heard a motherboard use two different sounding beeps before.

2010 WW Sedan
Custom RRE ABE
Cosworth Drop-in Filter
EvoX FMIC and UICP
ExoX BOV
Old 04-18-2012, 10:47 PM

Make sure both v-cards have power cords attached and some kind of bridge hooked up...also make sure ur mobo have latest firmware/bios that supports ur cpu and or rest of the setup..but clear cmos first then let us know what's up...

Phase 1
[X] Cosworth Drop-In
[X] UR Full Catback Exhaust
[X] UR Upper ICP
[X] UR Lower ICP
[X] Evo X FMIC
[X] Evo X BOV

Phase 2 - Breaks
Old 04-19-2012, 06:57 AM

i bet he forgot to plug the GPU power cables in... or that pesky one next to the CPU socket i always forget
Old 04-23-2012, 12:17 PM

I figured it out the day after I started this thread! So for those who would like to know for future reference...

I took all of it apart (I kinda wanted to build it again anyway because it was so fun yet so short lived haha) and proceeded to troubleshoot with the cpu and cpu fan only. I just went from there and everything worked until I tried booting up with both of my cards in with the SLI bridge attached. So I tried my graphics cards one at a time. I discovered that the cards were not faulty and the slots weren't either. So i just used one card to pass the POST and install windows 7. Then i installed my nvidia drivers and EVGA drivers. After that i powered the pc down and plugged the second gtx 570 in with the sli cable and it was instantly detected on the next boot up. Now everything is running fine. So the problem was trying to POST with the sli in right away. Apparently you have to plug the second card in after you install the drivers and OS. That's what worked for me anyway. Thank you all who responded! I am currently using my first built computer to type this out! ha it def feels good to have it running correctly. Seems like its a longer process to get all the drivers and games re- installed than building the computer... haha again thanks!

P.S. Sorry i didn't reply for so long. I have been very busy with work and classes and whatnot. Anyway All of your replies helped a lot!

-Aaron