ClubRalliart.com Your ad here
Old 08-25-2014, 12:41 AM

Default Help on installing an injen Cold Air Intake System

Hi Guys,

I'm looking at installing a Injen Cold Air Intake System (# SP1837 /
http://www.lancershop.com/customer/p...cat=175&page=1)

first off, has anyone done a DIY on this intake (on a ralliart with fog lights)

secondly, does anyone have any instructions on the installation of the intake and could i possibly use this video as a guide ? (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZvH16192_I)

many thanks, any help would be appreciated.
Old 08-25-2014, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by p3aker View Post
Hi Guys,

I'm looking at installing a Injen Cold Air Intake System (# SP1837 /
http://www.lancershop.com/customer/p...cat=175&page=1)

first off, has anyone done a DIY on this intake (on a ralliart with fog lights)

secondly, does anyone have any instructions on the installation of the intake and could i possibly use this video as a guide ? (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZvH16192_I)

many thanks, any help would be appreciated.

Do you have a ralliart? The video is for a regular lancer.
Old 08-25-2014, 05:26 AM

Default air intake

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkdrgn09 View Post
Do you have a ralliart? The video is for a regular lancer.
Yeah i know. I have an 09 ralliart, just wanted to know if I could use the video as a rough guide
Old 08-25-2014, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Yeah i know. I have an 09 ralliart, just wanted to know if I could use the video as a rough guide
Relatively similar i believe maybe slight difference in piping and clearance due to intercooler and such but should be pretty much a bolt on. Did you search up on effectiveness and issues w intake on our cars btw?
Old 08-25-2014, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Relatively similar i believe maybe slight difference in piping and clearance due to intercooler and such but should be pretty much a bolt on. Did you search up on effectiveness and issues w intake on our cars btw?
Nope, haven't done my full research just yet. It was the only cold air intake I could fine that fit the ralliart. If you're bother to share some of your insight I would really appreciate it
Old 08-25-2014, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Nope, haven't done my full research just yet. It was the only cold air intake I could fine that fit the ralliart. If you're bother to share some of your insight I would really appreciate it
Of course, not a problem. As far as a cold air intake goes, it really will not do much for our cars. The stock intake system is efficient enough, if you look at the way it is set up, there's pretty direct air flow coming in. Not to mention the fact that it may throw codes and such due to change in air flow. You usually want a tune or at least a flash with a tactrix cable to accomodate the change in the above. When i bought mine, i also test drove one with an intake and the only difference i noticed was a slightly better throttle response, but it also was already throwing a code. So IMO not worth the $300 for the intake alone. All i did was get a reusable k&n filter which i picked up at a local car parts store and that alone improved almost as much at the mere cost of like $40-50 ...better investment would be:

* a used Evo X bpv
*used evo x intercooler
*used upper and lower evo x intercooler piping

That alone doesnt require tune and will run you less than 300 and you can ususally find all these on here or evolutionM.net....that's what i did...also picked up a boost pill and tactrix cable for another 200 but decided to get a custom tune so that ran 450 but you can do similar with tactrix cable if you're comfortable messing with that stuff.
Old 08-25-2014, 03:52 PM
Regional Moderator

CAIs are dyno tested not to add power unless you're going with a x turbo, and even then only with a tune.. So I'd go K&N or a Cosworth panel filter..

minimal partial rolls $60(no tab grinding)

So cal fender roller rental $10 per day(3 day min) with $200 cash deposit. Includes Eastwood fender roller, heat gun and heavyweight carry bag.
Old 08-25-2014, 11:29 PM
Administrator

agreed ^

adding a CAI without a proper tune would just net you the same results, if not maybe less.
Old 08-26-2014, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Of course, not a problem. As far as a cold air intake goes, it really will not do much for our cars. The stock intake system is efficient enough, if you look at the way it is set up, there's pretty direct air flow coming in. Not to mention the fact that it may throw codes and such due to change in air flow. You usually want a tune or at least a flash with a tactrix cable to accomodate the change in the above. When i bought mine, i also test drove one with an intake and the only difference i noticed was a slightly better throttle response, but it also was already throwing a code. So IMO not worth the $300 for the intake alone. All i did was get a reusable k&n filter which i picked up at a local car parts store and that alone improved almost as much at the mere cost of like $40-50 ...better investment would be:

* a used Evo X bpv
*used evo x intercooler
*used upper and lower evo x intercooler piping

That alone doesnt require tune and will run you less than 300 and you can ususally find all these on here or evolutionM.net....that's what i did...also picked up a boost pill and tactrix cable for another 200 but decided to get a custom tune so that ran 450 but you can do similar with tactrix cable if you're comfortable messing with that stuff.
thanks for the info man, I'm a little new to the whole car modding scene so i have a few questions that I'm hoping you can answer .

first of all, with the BPV would I be attaching that to the intercooler ?

secondly, how safe is flashing my ECU with the tactrix cable am I able to resort to the stock map if something goes wrong ?
also, is there a specific tactrix cable that i must get for a ralliart or are they universal.

Cheers!
Old 08-26-2014, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markspd6 View Post
CAIs are dyno tested not to add power unless you're going with a x turbo, and even then only with a tune.. So I'd go K&N or a Cosworth panel filter..
Thanks for your input too !
again, new to the modding scene.. what would CAI stand for ?

Cheers!

Tags
air, coldair, diy, injen, intake