ClubRalliart.com Your ad here

Go Back   ClubRalliart.com > 2009+ Lancer Ralliart Forums > 2009+ Lancer Ralliart Troubleshooting, DIY and Inst
Home Forums Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2011, 04:28 PM
Super Moderator

I have that same vid in my bookmark.

Looks like there were some trial & errors.
Move the fender cover & ops, forgot something, put the fender cover back on. Put the clutches together ops now lets put it back together again.

Best to have a check list & step by step for those kinda thing.
Putting the clutches on wrong can be more costly.

I have seen self claimed professional put the clutch on backward before.
"There is something wrong with this thing."
Old 11-16-2011, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailBrake View Post
Let's say it's the clutches that are toast in this instance (and not the tranny computer or anything else). How many hours are involved in the clutchpack replacement?
it's tough to say because the tech is so foreign to most

the SSP clutch packs do have detailed instructions with high-res pictures, but they're more oriented towards a shop with full equipment and mechanical experience - and they assume you're a person of extreme detail.

I helped disassemble an SST with 500hp packs and put in the newer 600hp packs - there is VERY little room for error. You have to match a VERY close clearance range when all the steel disks and clutches are put back together. This is probably why some have bad experiences with aftermarket clutches - they assume they just piece them together and expect it to work. You have to take all the steel disks you have for instance, and gather them up to make up the clearance room you're aiming for. All the disks aren't the same width (machine tolerances) - some are thick, some are thin. I can't remember the numbers off the top of my head, but we're talking millimeters of clearance

Also some parts are hard to do by yourself - need a bit of force to take off/put back on while someone else holds it in place

tl;dr version: it isn't easy, but it could be done yourself. there are no SST-special tools required
Old 11-16-2011, 07:05 PM

Sounds totally bogus on the part of the dealer. Is there any possibility to take it elsewhere or contact Mitsu corporate? It's just totally retarded what they are saying.

Most dealers have a policy that service performed by the owner and does not involve modification is all good.
2001 Ducati 748
1969 BMW R60/2
1973 Norton Combat Commando
19XX Bobber ratrod, 96" S&S

"The evo is more car to take me to my job in action mode have more space for my childrens have SST and brembo for my wife and recaro seat for me is the perfect family car in this time (is more balance) is evolution to the future the subi is the same line from the past in other boby for teneger. Evo dad car."
Old 11-16-2011, 07:52 PM

I posted the specific instructions somewhere on this site. I think that it is in my "Clutch Upgrade" thread.
Old 11-17-2011, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exyia View Post
it's tough to say because the tech is so foreign to most

the SSP clutch packs do have detailed instructions with high-res pictures, but they're more oriented towards a shop with full equipment and mechanical experience - and they assume you're a person of extreme detail.

I helped disassemble an SST with 500hp packs and put in the newer 600hp packs - there is VERY little room for error. You have to match a VERY close clearance range when all the steel disks and clutches are put back together. This is probably why some have bad experiences with aftermarket clutches - they assume they just piece them together and expect it to work. You have to take all the steel disks you have for instance, and gather them up to make up the clearance room you're aiming for. All the disks aren't the same width (machine tolerances) - some are thick, some are thin. I can't remember the numbers off the top of my head, but we're talking millimeters of clearance

Also some parts are hard to do by yourself - need a bit of force to take off/put back on while someone else holds it in place

tl;dr version: it isn't easy, but it could be done yourself. there are no SST-special tools required
Thanks for the info. It sounds like a competent shop familiar with that type of work (shop dealing w/ race cars for example) could handle the job.

I guess one of the next logical thing to ask would be many SST failures are due to bad clutches, and what are the other types of failures that have been seen thus far?
Old 11-17-2011, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the info. It sounds like a competent shop familiar with that type of work (shop dealing w/ race cars for example) could handle the job.

I guess one of the next logical thing to ask would be many SST failures are due to bad clutches, and what are the other types of failures that have been seen thus far?
many of them actually aren't due to bad clutches. the clutches are one of the stronger points of the SST honestly. more problems are related to failed solenoids or temp sensors

if it were me, I would keep fighting for the warranty claim, with a lawyer if you have to. being denied because you did your own fluid change sounds completely ridiculous
Old 11-17-2011, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exyia View Post
many of them actually aren't due to bad clutches. the clutches are one of the stronger points of the SST honestly. more problems are related to failed solenoids or temp sensors

if it were me, I would keep fighting for the warranty claim, with a lawyer if you have to. being denied because you did your own fluid change sounds completely ridiculous
Any way to source either of those items outside of buying a complete transmission?

I have 4 years left on my extended warranty, and would like to keep the car past that since I only drive it 2 days a week. Any rebuild options for the tranny outside of warranty would be a big plus.
Old 11-17-2011, 11:01 PM

Honestly, Most of those supposedly certified Mitsubishi tech don't even know what SST is. I was planning to bring my ralliart in for tranny fluid change but they thought I had the CVT tranny and I just said screw them.
Old 11-18-2011, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Any way to source either of those items outside of buying a complete transmission?

I have 4 years left on my extended warranty, and would like to keep the car past that since I only drive it 2 days a week. Any rebuild options for the tranny outside of warranty would be a big plus.
OEM clutches and disks? no, since getrag treats the transmission as a whole unit

there might be some used ones available on the evo forums. there are a lot of people out there who think they needed to upgrade them and they turned out to have plenty of life in then

i'd still fight the warranty though. I think you're giving up too easily
Old 11-18-2011, 12:07 PM

Actually I was referring to the sensors that seem to be more problematic.