ClubRalliart.com Your ad here

Go Back   ClubRalliart.com > 2009+ Lancer Ralliart Forums > 2009+ Lancer Ralliart General
Home Forums Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-13-2013, 04:34 PM

Default Need help!!!!!!!!!!!!!urgent!!!

Last week I used for the first time the new Royal Purple oil. I drove about 500 miles than i decide to check the oil level. First thing I noticed was that the dipstick is not shiny anymore where the oil level was marked. Second thing was i noticed that the oil level was little higher than them the second mark about 6-7 mm. I decided to drain the oil. Is that normal ????? any help is appropriated.
Old 05-13-2013, 09:16 PM

not shiny? have a picture?

DId you fill on an angle and not a flat surface? were you checking the dip stip every so often while filling?
Old 05-14-2013, 07:29 AM

I do not know how that happened. When i drained the oil I was about five and half of a quarter. So about half of a quarter too much. this is the photo of a dipstick.
Old 05-14-2013, 07:49 AM

That looks a wee bit sketchy. I would be less worried about the overfill and more worried about what changed the color of the dipstick. Out of curiosity, why did you decided to use Royal Purple instead of the Mobil 1 that Mitsubishi recommends? For every single "OMG RP oil is the shiz, I use it in all my Civics" person I hear, there are as many, if not more, saying it is nothing but crap. I have even seen some people go as far as listing Royal Purple in a MOD LIST . I am left shaking my head every single time I hear someone say that RP is better in any way than Mobil 1, like RP has a better staff of material scientists and chemical engineers than ExxonMobile.

In any event, I would just keep an eye on your oil levels and pay close attention to your parking spot to check for leaks possibly caused by seal damage, but I think you will be fine.
Old 05-14-2013, 09:18 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra

That is slight odd i have used Royal Purple is all of my cars although i have yet to switch to it on the RA. But yea the overfill is not a problem the change of color on the dipstick is what worries me. You said you used the "new Royal Purple" by any chance do you still have any off the bottles?
-Agency Power 50/50 Bov
-Cosworth drop-in filter
-Swift lowering springs
-Borla Catback
-Perrin Hi-flow cat/DP
Old 05-14-2013, 09:26 AM

My dipstick looks exactly like yours. I assumed it came like that, but i also put in royal purple at 400 miles. so ya im a bit worried too. Hope to hear something conclusive.

Edit: im now at 16k miles and still no problems have occurred, no odd sounds, no extra metal fragments in my HKS filters or magnetic drain plug.
X IC Swap
UR UICP
UR LICP
X BPV
AMS HFC
UR Exhaust w Custom midpipe

Last edited by OverCorrupt; 05-14-2013 at 09:28 AM.
Old 05-14-2013, 09:27 AM

on the plus side you have no trouble knowing exactly where the oil level is
[X] DC Sports dual Cat back
[X] RAD lite (uninstalled)
[ ] Custome Tune
Old 05-14-2013, 02:51 PM

my dipstick looks the same too. i think thats just how they come
Old 05-14-2013, 03:14 PM

Good to hear, i never worried cause as i said i thought it was always that way. but once my attention was brought to it after the way he said it used to be shiny, i worried a bit. Glad to hear its not just us then.

Btw yea i disliked the RP. I switched to Mobil 1. The Royal purple seemed to leak through on WOT. Id get white smoke at WOT and when i changed my ICP there was oil droplets sprinkled throughout the UICP. Also in between the RP and the 2nd oil change after starting to use it my oil pan gasket began seeping (not leaking, just gets damp).

After switching to Mobil 1 i have checked after a couple of oil changes and still no droplets of oil in my ICP, as well as no smoke at WOT. Granted it could have been another reason, but i cannot think of another variable that has changed. using 5w30 just as i was with Royal Purple HPS (high performance street).

Just a heads up.
X IC Swap
UR UICP
UR LICP
X BPV
AMS HFC
UR Exhaust w Custom midpipe
Old 05-14-2013, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinestra View Post
That is slight odd i have used Royal Purple is all of my cars although i have yet to switch to it on the RA. But yea the overfill is not a problem the change of color on the dipstick is what worries me. You said you used the "new Royal Purple" by any chance do you still have any off the bottles?

Yes I do. I got 7 left. I know my dipstick was all smooth and shiny before. Now it looks like a layer of of metal has been dissolved. I still have the old oil i want to check it for metal particles. My magnetic drain plug was clean.