ClubRalliart.com Your ad here
Old 01-18-2015, 08:00 PM

Question Highway vibration

On the highway when I get to 70-80 miles my steering gets a little shaky. Only in the steering wheel though. My steering isn't really affected and my car is still riding smooth. I read somewhere it could be the tires. I'm just looking for other opinions. Has this happened with anyone else?
Old 01-19-2015, 06:39 PM
Regional Moderator

I would assume the tires are out of balance, or something like that

minimal partial rolls $60(no tab grinding)

So cal fender roller rental $10 per day(3 day min) with $200 cash deposit. Includes Eastwood fender roller, heat gun and heavyweight carry bag.
Old 01-19-2015, 09:05 PM

I'm not sure. I've drove vehicles with poor alignments and unbalanced tires and its way different. Its only in the steering wheel too. cant feel it in the pedals or anywhere else in the car. I guess it could be and excuse to buy new rims and tires
Old 01-20-2015, 07:14 AM

It is your tires, they are worn unevenly; the odd vibration in the steering wheel and no where else is due to the drive by wire system in place on the car.

Either go get your tires rotated (pending how much tread you have left) or get some new ones.
Old 01-20-2015, 03:53 PM

Thanks man. I was just finding it weird that it only did it at 130 km/h (80 mph) and faster
Old 01-21-2015, 07:47 AM

The faster you go the more vibration there would be.

With the drive by wire system you have minimal road feedback, it was actually one of the review complaints about the EVO X's when it first came out.
Old 01-23-2015, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markspd6 View Post
I would assume the tires are out of balance, or something like that
Not sure why this wasnt continued but the out of balance is the best bet for this problem.
Im a mechanic myself and this sounds purely like balance weight got thrown off, or as your tires wear down the balance goes bad as not all parts of the tires are the same exact weight. at our shop we recommend balancing every 6 months at least, (hell i need to rebalance my tires every month or so) and if you purchase from us we include free balance and rotations for the life of the tire. Edit: so check where you purchased your tires from if your not on factory POS tires.

have this checked out first, but it could very well be other things, now if the steering is actually LOOSE and not just vibrating thats a different can of worms. Most shops would do diagnosing something like that for free, its most likely visual from underneath (if you know what to look for).
X IC Swap
UR UICP
UR LICP
X BPV
AMS HFC
UR Exhaust w Custom midpipe

Last edited by OverCorrupt; 01-23-2015 at 03:37 PM.
Old 01-23-2015, 09:51 PM

I just bought the car used from a dealership. Could be a bit out of balance but all the weights are on. I will take it to a shop after this hitch. Probably not the dealership as I don't really trust them
Old 01-28-2015, 06:20 AM

........................................ can be in balance with uneven wear and still have vibration.....................

or waste money and time on a bunch of more complex diagnostics
Old 01-28-2015, 10:47 AM

indeed can be uneven wear but 90 percent of the time its balance. its not that complex, and its free to ask to see if wheels are out of balance. rarely ever have i seen uneven tires cause a vibration in the steering wheel. if the tire is uneven, it could be struts causing cupping, can also be not being rotated, or even not being balanced can cause uneven wear. all of which diagnostics are free for those, literally takes less than 5 minutes to diagnose all of these things.

you really want to have him spend 600-800$ on a new set of tires when it may still have tread left and just be a balance issue? thats throwing your money away right there. one guy suggested just getting them rotated to the back, and ask to see if the shop can do a quick balance check while its off the car anyway while doing that. (takes 30 seconds to throw a tire on the balance machine)

so again, not sure how wasting time and money is a part of that process.
X IC Swap
UR UICP
UR LICP
X BPV
AMS HFC
UR Exhaust w Custom midpipe