ClubRalliart.com Your ad here

Go Back   ClubRalliart.com > 2009+ Lancer Ralliart Forums > 2009+ Lancer Ralliart General
Home Forums Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-17-2011, 04:45 AM

Default Front End Chrome

I've noticed a number of you guys have blacked out that chrome ring around the front grill. What did you do? Is a lot of maintenance required to keep it looking good? Thanks.
Old 03-17-2011, 06:01 AM

there are two (well three ways) to do this.

Two of which involve a spray paint like product called plasti dip.

You can use this just by masking off the parts that u dont want plastidipped and then spraying away. If you are worried about getting any on your paint i have seen/heard of people taking the bumper off and then taking the ring out. Cool thing about plasti dip is that it does come off if you want to redo it or if you get sick of the look. People plasti dip there rims even. I have had plasti dip on my front ring for about a year now and i am still yet to see any wear. Also it only runs for about 5 bucks a can.

The third way to do this is by getting vinyl tape but i am not sure of the dimensions and whatever. Maybe somebody else can clear that up.

Enjoy!!
Old 03-17-2011, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseRalli View Post
there are two (well three ways) to do this.

Two of which involve a spray paint like product called plasti dip.

You can use this just by masking off the parts that u dont want plastidipped and then spraying away. If you are worried about getting any on your paint i have seen/heard of people taking the bumper off and then taking the ring out. Cool thing about plasti dip is that it does come off if you want to redo it or if you get sick of the look. People plasti dip there rims even. I have had plasti dip on my front ring for about a year now and i am still yet to see any wear. Also it only runs for about 5 bucks a can.

The third way to do this is by getting vinyl tape but i am not sure of the dimensions and whatever. Maybe somebody else can clear that up.

Enjoy!!
Thanks for this. I'll have to find who sells this here in Canada. Canadian Tire, I suspect.
Old 03-17-2011, 01:42 PM

also if you cant find plasti dip i used dupli-color automotive trim paint
Old 03-17-2011, 01:53 PM
Super Moderator

Removable, Durable, Protection from rock chips!
In color & clear!

http://www.plastidip.com/home_solutions/Plasti_Dip

Plasti Dip® protective coating has excellent resistance to acids, alkaline, and most common household chemicals. However, it is best to test this before going ahead with your application. Plasti Dip® does have limited resistance to petroleum based products.

Old 03-17-2011, 02:38 PM

Thanks a bunch. Looks like I've found a place in TO!
Old 03-18-2011, 04:04 PM

A great mod and cheap too! I went for the full bumper removal route.

Old 03-18-2011, 06:20 PM

I just did this a few hours ago because when i first did it in vinyl, i trimmed too short and some of the chrome showed in a few places. The easiest way to do it whether it's plasti-dip or vinyl is to take off the bumper and remove the chrome ring completely. It may take longer but it's a lot easier. Once you get the bumper off the chrome ring comes off by removing the philips screws.

If you plan on going the vinyl route, you'll need 2'x4'. The roll i got it from was 4ft wide so it worked out perfect. Then i used the scraps from cutting out the middle to wrap my mirror caps.
Old 03-18-2011, 06:36 PM

Default bumper removal

If you dont want to remove your bumper you can get the ring off by itself.Take the intake snorkel thingy off (2 screws) then the radiator shroud(3 plugs you pry up).then with a really stuby screw driver you can get your hand in and remove the screws that hold it in.I think their were 5 on top.Next youll need a 10mm socket to take the bottom plastic screen off that protects your intercooler.It will take some pulling and wiggling but it comes off pretty easy.With the stubby screw driver take off the remaining screws.I think like 6 or 8.total time is less than an hour.If your like me and use your car for a daily driver, this will allow you to work on your chrome ring and still be able to drive your car.This is just a suggestion.It is how I did mine and I thought it was easyier than taping everything off or removing the bumper
Old 03-19-2011, 09:47 AM

Default Number of Coats

Those who use Plasti Dip on the front chrome ring, do you go with just one coat or is it better to do two coats? Thanks.