ClubRalliart.com Your ad here

Go Back   ClubRalliart.com > 2009+ Lancer Ralliart Forums > 2009+ Lancer Ralliart General
Home Forums Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-24-2011, 06:44 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to BravoZero

Quote:
Originally Posted by caRalliArt View Post
What will happen If you run a boost pill with the cobb AP.they don't have a tune for a boost pill.can anyone explain Y?
The Cobb AP is designed for everything stock on the vehicle unless noted specifically otherwise. With the boost pill, you get rid of the stock restrictive pill which enables a higher level of boost along with the pre-existing tune that runs the car slightly leaner but unlocks some of the hidden power.

In other words, if you're just using the AP with a preloaded tune, do NOT use a boost pill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdustin View Post
hey i noticed various companies sell the boost pill for different prices is there any difference between em? i think gst has them for 30 and ultimate had them for 15 i know 15 bucks isint a bid deal but why spend the extra if you dont have too, ya know
I only got the GST Boost Pill because the GST basemap flash uses their own pill, and while I'm sure they're all the same or very similar, better safe than sorry if I'm going to run their basemap flash. I'm sure others have used AMS or UR boost pills with the GST flash, but again, better safe than sorry.
Old 03-24-2011, 06:51 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalliArtist View Post
What does the boost pill do exactly?
It replaces the stock brass restrictor "pill" that only allows so much pounds of boost pressure to be achieved. With a smaller brass "pill", you're allowing more boost pressure into the engine, essentially 3-5 PSI depending on the tune for our cars, maybe more.

But... because of this increase in boost pressure, you run a HIGH risk of overboosting and destroying your engine if your ECU isn't tuned to accommodate the higher boost levels. This in turn will give you more power.
Old 03-24-2011, 09:05 PM

Default custom tune

would I gain much from buying a boost pill and taking my AP with the pill to lets say rre and getting my car tuned for the pill with the ap?Or would I not need the pill if I had it custom tuned?a little off topic nut if the boost pill does so much with the gst base map than why would cobb not make a tune with the pill?
Old 03-24-2011, 10:09 PM

You have a boost pill stock. What tuners are doing is using a boost pill that has a hole in it that smaller than stock. This gives the stock boost control solenoid less air to deal with. If it is given less air flow, it can bleed off a higher percentage of the air being thrown at it and this gives the ability of the stock boost control system to hold boost at higher RPM. You want this to make more power at higher RPM. Smaller boost pil good. I cant imagine why the google wouldnt tell you this :-/

If you are going to use the base map from Bryan@GST, you need to use their pill. Christ, Bryan probably spent a 100 hours of his personal time on base maps, at least you can let his homies @ GST get $5 profit after they are done shipping and processing the credit card. If Cobb were to make a generic map for a boost pill, you would need to use their pill. Every pill out there could be a different size. If you are using a specific base map, you need to use the pill that the map was tuned for. Most are in the .8mm to 1.2 mm range. But a .1mm size difference makes a big difference. The smaller the hole, the higher the boost will go. You really would not want to put in a different size pill with out tuning specifically for it.

When we tune a RalliArt on the dyno we supply the pill. It is included in the $400 tune. You get an open source tune that isnt locked. If you want it flashed back to stock for some reason, that is free. If you know someone with a Tactrix cable, they could flash it back to your stock map for free also. If you want to switch maps for some reason you can buy a $180 cable and use a free program and any laptop to change the map. So $600 total gets you a custom tune, boost pill, and the ability to change maps. What does that other thingy get you for how much $$?

Mike W

Last edited by MikeW-RRE; 03-24-2011 at 10:15 PM.
Old 03-25-2011, 07:21 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeW-RRE View Post
You have a boost pill stock. What tuners are doing is using a boost pill that has a hole in it that smaller than stock. This gives the stock boost control solenoid less air to deal with. If it is given less air flow, it can bleed off a higher percentage of the air being thrown at it and this gives the ability of the stock boost control system to hold boost at higher RPM. You want this to make more power at higher RPM. Smaller boost pil good. I cant imagine why the google wouldnt tell you this :-/

If you are going to use the base map from Bryan@GST, you need to use their pill. Christ, Bryan probably spent a 100 hours of his personal time on base maps, at least you can let his homies @ GST get $5 profit after they are done shipping and processing the credit card. If Cobb were to make a generic map for a boost pill, you would need to use their pill. Every pill out there could be a different size. If you are using a specific base map, you need to use the pill that the map was tuned for. Most are in the .8mm to 1.2 mm range. But a .1mm size difference makes a big difference. The smaller the hole, the higher the boost will go. You really would not want to put in a different size pill with out tuning specifically for it.

When we tune a RalliArt on the dyno we supply the pill. It is included in the $400 tune. You get an open source tune that isnt locked. If you want it flashed back to stock for some reason, that is free. If you know someone with a Tactrix cable, they could flash it back to your stock map for free also. If you want to switch maps for some reason you can buy a $180 cable and use a free program and any laptop to change the map. So $600 total gets you a custom tune, boost pill, and the ability to change maps. What does that other thingy get you for how much $$?

Mike W
Ah, thank you for clarifying that up a bit Mike.

That's why I went the route of buying a Tactrix cable and a cheap netbook, there's so much more you can do with that combo than the Cobb AP and well worth it. Ever since I flashed over the GST basemap with the stock pill, I've been using Evoscan and monitoring my car. I've learned a lot about how my car runs just by using that program and it's neat stuff!
Old 04-04-2011, 08:58 PM

I`ll be buying the GST pill, that`s my way of thanking them for the FREE flash.
Old 04-05-2011, 12:32 PM

just ordered my GST Boost Pill, can't wait till it gets here!
Old 04-05-2011, 12:54 PM
Super Moderator

It's well worth it folks!
Old 04-06-2011, 08:08 PM

i have my UR SRI + AMS BOOST PILL sitting @ my room.... ima b tunning with AWD soon... cant fuckin wait..

well actually ima get a high flow cat n dp first..

and now i am really thinkin bout swaping turbos but i still have questions bout that =[ so not sure.
Old 04-09-2011, 03:38 PM

Default :D

Installed my boost pill and re-flashed my ecu last night. I got to open the car up on the interstate this morning. I'm lovin the way she pulls more on the top end and holds more power when shifting! What a difference for such a small price!!!!