ClubRalliart.com Your ad here
Old 07-14-2011, 07:47 PM

Default Why not the evo?

So why did YOU buy a ralliart? Was it because you wanted to make your own upgrades? Does the evo have too much power for you?(yeah right) Was it a money thing? For me it was. Looking back I shoulda bit the bullet a paid the 3k more for the special edition. It was pretty stripped down tho. But for the bigger turbo, better brakes and all that the evo has to offer as far as performance, that was a steal. The wife liked the nav system and rf stereo the ra had. We were also tryin to save a lil coin too. So we got the ww ralliart. I love the car. Great in the snow! That's how I got one. Tell me how you ended up getting one. Why not the evo? Btw I love this site and the people within. Thanks for your time and for posting the info.
Old 07-14-2011, 08:00 PM

i couldnt afford it, i was on a tight budget. i wished i got an evo, but i love the ralliart, great vehicle.

Smoked Lights, Vortex Generator, Red Mitsu Logos, XXR 522 18x9.5 et38, Falken fk452 235/40/18, Rally Armor Mudflaps, UR Cat Back, UR High Flow Cat, UR Downpipe, Ur UICP, AMS Intercooler, Defi Racer Boost Gauge, Defi Racer Oil Temperature Gauge, Eibach Sportlines, Rexpeed CF Hood Dampers, Rexpeed A-Pillar Gauge Pod, Rexpeed CF Duckbill Lip Spoiler
Old 07-14-2011, 08:47 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to BravoZero

Several reasons I chose the Ralliart over the EvoX:

-Cost effective for matching the engine performance compared to the stock MR
-Needed an actual trunk and not a shoebox
-A little better on gas, not by much but every little bit counts
-Insurance would have killed me if I bought an Evo
-Overall cost of the car
-The Ralliart will be a little cheaper with maintenance costs compared to the Evo
-Liked the front end design on the Ralliart better than the Evo, although not a game changer

Reasons I regret not getting an EvoX:

-Manual transmission, but no big deal, the SST is fun
-Will become a collector car once Mitsu kills it after next model year
-Handling is on par or surpasses almost every car under $50-60k
-Aggressive design
-License plate is mounted offset by default, mine came with it on the nose from the factory
-Twin scroll turbo, not a dinky single scroll, which in the end can handle more power
-Performance is great from the factory, can do a lot of power upgrades on the GSR with little to no problems with the transmission compared to the MR or Ralliart

I'm sure I can find more reasons for both situations later on.
Old 07-14-2011, 09:11 PM

I still remember the grim Sam gave me @ SCM when he gave me the numbers for a AS MR...it's like ol'boy is possessed and shit...lol...what a devil...anyways...I have a baby and costco...evo trunk is just not cutting it...so I went with a OB SB...I dont regret the choice that I made on the SB...I love the car...it's RARE and it serve the function as a turborized baby-hauler and grocery-getter...the only thing I do regret/bitch about is the BBS rims on the MR...oh well...can't have ur cake and eat it too...

Phase 1
[X] Cosworth Drop-In
[X] UR Full Catback Exhaust
[X] UR Upper ICP
[X] UR Lower ICP
[X] Evo X FMIC
[X] Evo X BOV

Phase 2 - Breaks
Old 07-14-2011, 09:12 PM

reasons i bought ralliart:
$10 000 price difference between ralliart and gsr
maintenence cheaper
insurance cost

reasons i would have bought the evo:
manual transmision ive had problems with the sst since i bought it and mitsu warranty is a joke
like the wide body stance

few other things i love my ralliart but the sst has definately made it a love hate relationship
Old 07-14-2011, 10:11 PM

For me I went to the Dealership with Check in hand to buy an Evo. Wife flipped out at the dealership AKA almost Divorced that day, Ralliart was a comprimise rest of my Evo X money went to finish home renos fix up wifes car and other things on one of her lists. Happy wife double income for life LOL !

Regret not having the bigger wheel wells,fenders,wheels better traction control Better brakes and the MR rims and having Super SPort mode AKA Really good launches at 5K not 2800 RPM.

Your right though I loved the Front end on the Ralliart and having a real trunk is great for grocery shopping.
Old 07-15-2011, 01:29 AM
Super Moderator

I went into the dealership for an Evo..
I didnt even want the RA when I visited all the dealerships around the area.
I did quick search before hand about previous Evo,
I wanted an AWD+Turbo four door car.

I remember they wouldnt let me test drive the Evo X GSR or MR.
I look at the engine bay on Evo X & later RA to my surprise they both share the same 4B11T. I remember Ralliart supposed to be performance brand/dept. for Mitsubishi so that also helped with my decision. (I know brand name is BS)
Also RA was available to test drive & salesman took me for a pedal to the metal spin. I got to rev it to 6k rpm in every gear & thought RA has great potentials. I knew RA turbo is smaller so I already planned to swap it out before I even bought the RA.
I also knew most evo x owners would dump money into their cars so evo x hand-me-down parts would be cheaper than aftermarket.
I stood in the parking lot comparing the difference & After that decision was easy. My Ralliart pick me to be her driver.
I call the insurance company for quote on Evo X & RA.
Evo X was double the rate of the RA. $300k full coverage for evo x was $650/mo car payment & $250/mo insurance. RA $352/mo car payment $125/mo insurance. After insurance company caught on to the RA they raise my monthly to $145/mo. Oh well, its time for new insurance carrier anyways.

MPG is another factor.
Daily drive-ability is another factor.

So yes, money/budget has everything to do with my decision.
Plus most of us are going to modify them anyways.

My sad story is I have worked hard for 12yr at the same company, thinking it is time to get into something more middle class only to take 20% pay cut after I purchased my RA. So Im glad I didnt buy into an Evo, I would've gotten repo'd.

My Ra taught me alot about awd car control.
Old 07-15-2011, 05:43 AM

For me, the practicality of the Ralliart (better mileage, lower maintenance cost, a real trunk w/ folding rear seats, etc.) trumps the performance deficits between it and the Evo. Each performance point can be addressed one at a time in the future if I like.

In terms of insurance, after I traded in my daily-driver 2010 Lancer SE for a low-mileage, fully-loaded '09 Ralliart, my monthly rate went down

Last edited by TrailBrake; 07-15-2011 at 07:40 AM.
Old 07-15-2011, 06:56 AM

I went to the dealership knowing I couldn't afford the Evo. Turned out the dealership had a couple Evo that they were trying to get rid of and were priced extremely aggressively. Insurance quote for Ralliart:$250/month. Insurance quote for Evo:$500/month. That was the decision maker.
Old 07-15-2011, 07:55 AM

I went to the dealer thinking I always wanted an Evo and I was ready to make that step. I looked at the prices of the ones they had and the insurance quotes and it freaked me out (well mainly my wife). The guy knew I wanted something along the lines so he showed me something that they just got in a day prior.

What I saw was a beautiful Ralliart... Told me to test drive it and I loved it...

The fact that your getting all this power for the huge money difference is just amazing. Also knowing you have a car thats unique and in a way rare is another cool aspect... I donno, its just something about when someone ask you what kind of car are you driving, it feels great to say I have a Ralliart... a rare and amazing car