ClubRalliart.com Your ad here
Old 07-09-2014, 09:55 PM

Smile Big Changes with Big Surprises

Throughout the months I have been researching at our wheel fitment for our vehicles. Everyone saying that fenders need to be rolled on a 9+ wide fitment even on stock height. I came across a really good deal on XXR 18x9.75 +20 offset. I kept reading the forums and everyone said no they wont fit they will rub. Well, I decided to be bad, and mount them I had no rubbing issues at all. They stick out quite a bit, but they look so good.

A week later I drove down to rally sport direct and purchased some Tein Street Flex coilovers. I wanted that track stance, and the coilovers will also be helpful when winter comes I can easy put my all season tires back on and raise the vehicle back up. I have lowered the car quite a bit and I have no rubbing issues, but I do plan on going a little more lower and now I will have to roll and pull my fenders with a negative camber. I have hit couple pot holes accidentally, and no rubbing. Here are some pictures. Enjoy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20140622_192345.jpg (119.1 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg 20140621_192202.jpg (195.9 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20140626_214205.jpg (161.9 KB, 129 views)
File Type: jpg 20140626_212336.jpg (114.7 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg 20140626_212353.jpg (95.1 KB, 33 views)
Old 07-10-2014, 06:30 AM

Looks nice. But one thing you must consider is this. When almost all of the guys tell you they will not fit without rubbing, these are guys that are performance oriented people. They are telling you that they won't fit, assuming you are putting a proper sized tire on the rim. From the looks of your pics, you are herra stretched. What size tire are you using?

As a reference, most guys put a 245 wide tire on Evo X wheels. Your tires look to be more like 215s

The rim specs you listed puts the face of the rim poking out farther than the X wheel by 1.334". That is a HUGE number, considering the X wheels already are flush in the front. BUT....if you are using a dinky tire, like a 215, then the tire itself is only 0.118" farther out than an X wheel with a 245 tire on it. That is a small number. The narrowest tire that you are "supposed" to use with a rim that wide is a 255. If you were to put 255s on those wheels, it would chew the side of your car clean off..lol. That is the reason most people would tell you that they won't fit. The stretch of the narrow tires is saving you from rubbing, even though it is costing you in performance over a proper wider tire.
Old 07-10-2014, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WikedRalli View Post
Throughout the months I have been researching at our wheel fitment for our vehicles. Everyone saying that fenders need to be rolled on a 9+ wide fitment even on stock height. I came across a really good deal on XXR 18x9.75 +20 offset. I kept reading the forums and everyone said no they wont fit they will rub. Well, I decided to be bad, and mount them I had no rubbing issues at all. They stick out quite a bit, but they look so good.

A week later I drove down to rally sport direct and purchased some Tein Street Flex coilovers. I wanted that track stance, and the coilovers will also be helpful when winter comes I can easy put my all season tires back on and raise the vehicle back up. I have lowered the car quite a bit and I have no rubbing issues, but I do plan on going a little more lower and now I will have to roll and pull my fenders with a negative camber. I have hit couple pot holes accidentally, and no rubbing. Here are some pictures. Enjoy
Im interested in knowing what tire size your running as well. I at one point was running 18x8.75 +35 on 245/40 tires and was rubbing with just a drop on Eibach springs. Im now running 225/40 tires (which isnt really a stretch at all) because I decided to go lower on Tein springs so I decided to roll my rear fenders. I havent had one issue with what Im running after rolling my fenders.
Your seem to be sticking out quite a bit which is going to require a decent amount of negative camber to look right and obviously that needs to happen with an alignment. With those size wheels and the camber needed your arent gonna really have the track stance, you're going to have to have more of a hellaflush stance.

D2 Racing USA
R1Concepts
Avant Garde Wheels

Avant Garde F142 Wheels 18x10.5 D2 Racing Air Suspension R1Concepts Drilled/Slotted Rotors Kit Unnwerke Fender Flares Rexpeed Carbon Fiber JDP Carbon Fiber Lip CBRD Rad Lite Turbo AMS Single Exhaust, Intercooler, & UICP Boostin Performance High Flow Cat Ultimate Racing Intake, Down Pipe & LICP
Old 07-10-2014, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew View Post
Looks nice. But one thing you must consider is this. When almost all of the guys tell you they will not fit without rubbing, these are guys that are performance oriented people. They are telling you that they won't fit, assuming you are putting a proper sized tire on the rim. From the looks of your pics, you are herra stretched. What size tire are you using?

As a reference, most guys put a 245 wide tire on Evo X wheels. Your tires look to be more like 215s

The rim specs you listed puts the face of the rim poking out farther than the X wheel by 1.334". That is a HUGE number, considering the X wheels already are flush in the front. BUT....if you are using a dinky tire, like a 215, then the tire itself is only 0.118" farther out than an X wheel with a 245 tire on it. That is a small number. The narrowest tire that you are "supposed" to use with a rim that wide is a 255. If you were to put 255s on those wheels, it would chew the side of your car clean off..lol. That is the reason most people would tell you that they won't fit. The stretch of the narrow tires is saving you from rubbing, even though it is costing you in performance over a proper wider tire.

I am actually running 245 40 18 I have attached a picture to show the tire size. I actually wanted wide tires to look mean and to help the performance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20140710_100830.jpg (166.3 KB, 29 views)
ETS LICP,UICP,IC
ETS INTAKE
MAP OPEN 02
MAP Short Run MANI
ETS TP
UR Cats
Tein Street Flex Coils
Etc...

Last edited by WikedRalli; 07-10-2014 at 09:19 AM.
Old 07-10-2014, 09:31 AM

Well, not beating you up, don't get me wrong. And again, I love the way your car looks.

Having said that, barring you have some sort of unicorn, there is absolutely no way that you have a 245 on a 9.75" wide rim on a car that is not rolled or pulled, if your car is as low as it is in this picture......

without rubbing seriously. Don't take this as me calling you a liar, because I really am not. But there has to be an explanation. Did you buy the car used? Maybe it has already been rolled. About 90% of people lowered to your height rub in the rear with X wheels and 245s, myself included until I rolled them. The fact that you are over 1.3" farther out on the same tires makes it mathematically impossible for you to not be rubbing, unless you are literally running like 6-7 degrees of negative camber. And that could be too. There has to be some sort of logical explanation.
Old 07-10-2014, 09:45 AM

No fender work, no nothing, the only thing that rub are the front mud flaps. They rub on the ground on dips and on braking. When I get home later this evening I'll attack my group pro to my fenders and show you guys how the car runs
ETS LICP,UICP,IC
ETS INTAKE
MAP OPEN 02
MAP Short Run MANI
ETS TP
UR Cats
Tein Street Flex Coils
Etc...

Last edited by WikedRalli; 07-10-2014 at 09:51 AM.
Old 07-10-2014, 10:01 AM

Take a picture of the inside fender lip in the rear, at the top of the arch. I bet you are rolled already, and don't know it.
Old 07-10-2014, 11:22 AM
Regional Moderator

My advice is to roll on any setups the are even close to rubbing, the results if you hit can be tragic. And the better the roll, the harder it is to spot. Its easily the best money you can spend on the wheel setup..

minimal partial rolls $60(no tab grinding)

So cal fender roller rental $10 per day(3 day min) with $200 cash deposit. Includes Eastwood fender roller, heat gun and heavyweight carry bag.