ClubRalliart.com Your ad here
Old 03-26-2014, 02:18 PM

Question Need help!! Mods advice

Hey guys I'm new to this, its my first post hope Im doing this right.
So I want to buy for my stock ralliart 09 a k&n drop in filter, evo x bov, upper pipe and intercooler with a turbo xs catback, would I require a tune for this kind of mods? And would you consider me something else?
Old 03-26-2014, 02:51 PM

Nah man you don't, and for my RA I'm going with the ultimate racing cat back and the ets intercooler kit.

Last edited by iamabiz; 03-26-2014 at 02:55 PM.
Old 03-26-2014, 04:49 PM

Great! the answer I was looking for, and do you know about the evo x intercooler I think I only need the upperpipe to go with it right? I can have I can have my stock RA licp?
Old 03-26-2014, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvmyrally View Post
Great! the answer I was looking for, and do you know about the evo x intercooler I think I only need the upperpipe to go with it right? I can have I can have my stock RA licp?
Im not 100% sure but i think you will need a silicone reducer because the evo ic outlet is bigger than the stock RA licp
Old 03-27-2014, 12:18 AM

You can keep the stock LICP for sure, but it's one of the crappiest parts that go in our cars, so it is definitely worth changing as well. Just look at the thing:

Old 03-27-2014, 06:53 AM

Send a message via AIM to Rralliart09

If you can get the ETS ralliart IC and upper pipe kit. It's waaay better than an X IC. The LICP is fine unless you plan on going with a bigger turbo.
S-Sport and Launch Control
ETS 3" FMIC and UICP
Custom 2.5" TBE exhaust W/HFC dual Magnaflows 4" tips
R1 Concepts premium slotted rotors w/Stoptech pads
Prosport 60mm Premium boost gauge
Prosport 52mm Digital AFR gauge
Perrin column mount dual gauge pod
Blox Racing 490 shift knob in gunmetal W/Reverse Lockout Adapter
Sparco Assetto Gara 18x8 with Nitto NT555 235/40-18

"I ruin dreams all the time" -Markspd6
Old 03-27-2014, 07:32 AM

Yeah looks nice! But do you know if I go with the evo x IC an UICP from deporacing If I need to buy extra clamps or it all fits my 09 like a glove
Old 03-28-2014, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rralliart09 View Post
If you can get the ETS ralliart IC and upper pipe kit. It's waaay better than an X IC. The LICP is fine unless you plan on going with a bigger turbo.
I really don't agree about the LICP since keeping the crappy stock one can reduce the advantage of having an upgraded IC. This is a really good post on the topic from the evom forums:

Quote:
"What about piping? I heard the upper hose NEEDS to be upgraded to a hard-pipe, but the LICP is fine?"
Remember how the intercooler system works. The Upper Intercooler Pipe (the black hose from the factory) is BEFORE the intercooler. The only problem is that this hose expands under boost pressure. Remember, this air is still going into the intercooler to be cooled - so the UICP is not a major factor in total power output - but you lose throttle response: as you floor it, some of the boost pressure is lost as it expands the upper piping hose - but it STILL goes into the intercooler afterwards.

After the intercooler does it's job, then the pressurized air is on it's way to the engine for use. This is the MOST important component. There is nothing left but this pipe before this pressurized air is used - so you do not want to worsen this air in any way possible. The stock RA LICP, which is made of plastic, has a small diameter (which causes heat as particles collide) and an unusual bend (again, another place for collision and heat generation). The Evo X LICP is a finely crafted piece - made from aluminum to hold the air, a bigger diameter, and very smooth curves for a clean flow straight to the engine. Almost nothing interrupts the air as it is fed to the engine with this pipe - which is what you want.

This is the biggest misconception that RA owners seem to have. Most think that the UICP is the biggest restriction and that the LICP is fine. The expanding OEM UICP hose just lose you throttle response, but still accomplishes it's job of sending the air to the intercooler.

The OEM LICP, with so many bends, ruins work that the intercooler accomplished. With so much restriction in flow and bends causing collision and heat generation, you're ruining the work of the intercooler just before the air enters your engine for use.

But with how cheaply you can pickup a whole Evo X set (UICP + FMIC + LICP), I recommend you replace all pieces at the same time. This also avoids any fitment issues - just complete replacement with 100% fitment.

Last edited by AlDim; 03-28-2014 at 01:01 AM.

Tags
tuning or not?