ClubRalliart.com Your ad here
Old 03-26-2012, 05:33 AM

I am a former Subaru owner. I'd like to chime in. I posted this on NASIOC.com a short while ago:

"I'd like to come to the defense of the Ralliart because I own one. Now before anyone thinks I'm a Mitsu fanboi and a Subie basher I'd like to mention that I previously owned 3 Subarus before the Ralliart. The first was a '00 2.5 RS, the second was an '03 WRX, and the third was an '06 WRX. I have and always will have a place in my heart for Subaru. However, I can say without a doubt that the Ralliart is the best car I have ever owned.
Bash me if you will, but for my intents and purposes I want an automatic. The TC-SST dual clutch transmission Mitsu offers is one of the best on the market. I am a huge fan.
Plain and simple Subaru didn't offer a vehicle with the powertrain or the features I was looking for. Mitsubishi did. I have since fallen in love with the Ralliart. Here is my review:

The Pros:
-The dual clutch transmission is loads of fun to drive. It gives me the performance and fuel economy of a manual combined with the convenience of an automatic. Sport mode rips off insanely fast gear changes.
-The turning circle in a Ralliart is smaller than the WRXs I had. Parking is substantially easier. Maneuvering in close quarters is also easier.
-The Ralliart is roomier, the Recaro seats are more supportive, and for me with a 6'4'' frame I have substantially more room in front and in back.
-Dual split folding rear seats are a huge plus. None of my Imprezas offered this. The Ralliart has a large trunk as well.
-The fast key is awesome! None of my WRXs had a fast key and I either had to manually unlock the door with a key or take the key out of my pocket and press the unlock button. With the fast key I never have to take the key out of my pocket to lock/unlock the doors (or trunk). I can also start the car without removing the fast key from my pocket. I literally never take the key out of my pocket anymore.
-The Ralliart has an HID option. I wanted HIDs and the only Impreza that offered them was the STI, which I did not want. I love the HIDs on the Ralliart. Not only are they good for driving at night and in the rain, but they also look pimp. Retro-fitting HIDs on previous WRXs was something I did not want to do. I love my HIDS!
-The Rockford Fosgate sound system option is awesome. It combines high quality sound with a nice thump provided by a 10'' sub built into the trunk. It enables me to bump music without having to worry about lugging around a huge sound system. It also saves space and saved me $$ by not having to do anything aftermarket. The sound system in my Ralliart is one of the best I've ever heard in any automobile.
-Gas mileage is better in the Ralliart. My WRXs typically averaged around 20mpg in the winter and 24 in the summer. In the Ralliart I typically average around 22mpg in the winter and 24 in the summer. Not to mention the best I ever experienced was 26 MPG in all highway driving with any of my two WRXs. I've gone in excess of 28 MPG in all highway driving with the Ralliart on more than one occasion.
-Reliability has been top notch. This car has been bulletproof just like all my Subarus were. The only issue I experienced in two years was a broken tire pressure monitor sensor that was the result of corrosion (Upstate New York winters). Aside from routine maintenance I have not had a single problem with the Ralliart.
-Ralliarts are far less common than WRXs, STIs, and EVOs. I drive the only Ralliart in my entire city. I've only seen one other Ralliart on the road since it first came out. I enjoy driving a vehicle that nobody else has.

The Cons:
-The transmission is a bit sluggish off the line. A launch control feature would help immensely.
-The engine is underpowered in stock form. It should be offered with at least 250-270 HP from the factory. A Cobb Stage 1 map has helped to bolster performance and turn a car that was rather tepid from the factory into a real fire breather.
-Grip isn't as tenacious as the two WRXs I've owned. I can't power through turns with the sheer speed and confidence I was able to with a WRX. However, replacing the stock rubber has helped. Even with new tires I'd say the Ralliart is one notch below WRXs, grip-wise. The Ralliart feels just a bit less sure footed than the WRX did.
-The Recaros are extremely uncomfortable on long trips. I routinely have to stop the car every 60-90 minutes to give my back and hips a rest.
-A few interior squeaks and rattles. Subaru interiors are assembled better.
-The paint is cheap. It is very thin and has chipped off due to rocks and debris moreso than any of my Subarus.

The Equals:
I would say braking performance is equal to that of the WRXs I had. Braking power is more than adequate.
I enjoy looking at the Ralliart just as much as I enjoyed looking at both WRXs. Styling is a wash to me because I find beauty in the Ralliart much like I do in a WRX.
I would say the AWD system in my Ralliart is equal to both WRXs I had. Traction, or lack thereof, has never been an issue. Rain and snow don't phase me.

Summary:
An impressive powertrain. Impressive performance. Fun to drive. Economical. Roomy interior and a large trunk. The fast key makes locking and unlocking the doors and trunk a snap, and starting the vehicle a breeze. The Rockford Fosgate sound system and HIDs are nice options.

I'm most certainly going to take heat for this. Trolls will troll and haters will hate. I just wanted to post my $0.02 and compose a well thought out comparison between two vehicles in a similar segment. This is strictly my opinion."
Old 03-26-2012, 05:34 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to BravoZero

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricS09RA View Post
If you're looking for an automatic sports car, then twin clutch is the only way to go
Which by technical specifications, is still not a true automatic, lol.

But yes, if you're looking for something that has a great automated transmission, go for the Ralliart.
Old 03-26-2012, 04:30 PM

My 06, so damn expensive to mod for little power. I work in DC and driving a stick? Never again.

Couldn't be happier, tuned to perfection.
Old 03-26-2012, 04:46 PM
Super Moderator

Dude, I will never drive in DC again with a lowered car. Last time I drove there I had my Eclipse, bottomed the mother effer out four times at slow speeds because DC would rather spend their damn money on traffic cameras than on the quality of their roads.
Old 03-26-2012, 11:50 PM

Food for thought , last fiscal year DC made 1.3 million on red light and parking tickets alone.
Old 04-02-2012, 03:58 PM

having replaced my wheels with Evo X wheels i have to say the biggest weakness of the Ralliart is the stock GTS wheels and those Yoko's that come with it. At 245/40 r18s much of traction issues i had are gone.

Next up read sway bar and coilovers.
Old 04-02-2012, 04:36 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nv82 View Post
having replaced my wheels with Evo X wheels i have to say the biggest weakness of the Ralliart is the stock GTS wheels and those Yoko's that come with it. At 245/40 r18s much of traction issues i had are gone.

Next up read sway bar and coilovers.
The OEM wheels and tires aren't the biggest weakness by far. That title goes to the tiny brakes that it came with. I'd say the tires are second place.
Old 04-02-2012, 05:07 PM

I would agree with that. I got the car up to 135 and hit the brakes and if you have ever driven a performance car you can tell the Ralliarts brakes like tires was a compromise of economics vs performance.

I am currently debating on weather i want to go with a rear sway bar and the AMS/Wilwood Brake kit or just go with coilovers and then work on getting stoptechs.
Old 04-02-2012, 05:50 PM
Regional Moderator

first, not many OEM brake kits are designed to stop a car at 135.. Evo owners are just lucky.. that being said, i dont think the brakes are the biggest weakness... after popping on some Evo 9 BBS, id def go with the tires..

you can easily upgrade to a carbotech pad which will stop the car at 135 no probs, but it will squeal like a mofo all day long!!

i just sold my 09 Subie impreza wagon for this 11 RA, and id never look back again!!! the subie did just fine on the track(lack of power not included) but so far my RA has been one of the best OEM setups ive had.. and ive had several Lexus, Mazdas etc.. these cars are very sell dialed in for a compact...

and you can change the plugs on a Subie W/O pulling anything, at least on mine you could.. you just need a couple specialty tools..

not heard anything great about Willwoods... and a certain local Evo tuner said theyre not worth much IHO... id try better pads before upgrading the whole kit, you might be surprised how much stopping power you can get from a decent pad..
Old 04-03-2012, 07:17 AM

Here is the brake setup I'm using for street and track for a year. Let's just say it's 'cost effective' and a big improvement of stock.

- AMS stainless steel brake lines
http://www.amsperformance.com/cart/A...ake-Lines.html

- ATE TYP200 dot 4 brake fluid
http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/brake...cat=BrakeFluid

- EBC Yellowstuff pads
http://ebcrotors.com/p-221-ebc-yello...iart&submodel3=

- EBC Sport rotors
http://ebcrotors.com/p-223-ebc-sport...iart&submodel3=

Last edited by TrailBrake; 04-04-2012 at 05:42 AM.

Tags
evo, lancer, ralliart, subaru, wrx