ClubRalliart.com Your ad here

Go Back   ClubRalliart.com > 2009+ Lancer Ralliart Forums > 2009+ Lancer Ralliart Tech Talk and Power Mods
Home Forums Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-07-2014, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rralliart09 View Post
Ok if you think you know better than MRT Performance then more power to ya. It's your car I was just trying to help.
And thats cool i totally appreciate the input and am not stating i know better or that anyone is wrong or right for that matter...point was that im willing to try it out due to all the different points of view on the matter...after all sometimes experimenting and trying out different things is how we learn more...there could be a lot of things speculated as far as why exactly are peoples TCU surface coverings getting eaten up and theres no need to particularly assume anything specific...also this fluid is used in other brand cars w electronics in their tranny with obviously no issues...i tried contacting mitsu about the difference between the diff fluids and they said they were unaware of any reasearch on the matter (of course) and wouldnt disclose any formulation info lol...sooo we shall seee :P

Last edited by blkdrgn09; 08-07-2014 at 05:38 AM. Reason: Add comment
Old 08-07-2014, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkdrgn09 View Post
Despite the mAny conflicting opinions on all this i talked to a couple more people as well as some who are quite well versed in electronic components which function in many places as well as submerged in oil, etc aaand i decided to get FFL-2....got 13 quarts of that plus replacement paper filter for $300 shipped so i will def keep and eye on everything and see how it goes! 8)
Where are the conflicting opinions? There is no conflict to be found. If anyone suggested you use the FFL-2, they are going on outdated information. I don't want to be the one to give you a hard time, but you are playing a dangerous game with a very expensive transmission, and I would like to think you could learn from the mistake others have made. I just changed my fluid a month or so ago, and I paid less than $300 shipped for 8 liters of fluid (more than what you need) and a paper filter. It seems like you would have looked in to the people that make a living rebuilding the transmissions that have seen the damage FFL-2 does first hand, instead of listening to other sources. I wish you the best, and good luck.

Quote:
And thats cool i totally appreciate the input and am not stating i know better or that anyone is wrong or right for that matter...point was that im willing to try it out due to all the different points of view on the matter...after all sometimes experimenting and trying out different things is how we learn more...
Yes, that is the point. Others have done it, with poor results. We were trying to help you not make the same mistakes.
Old 08-07-2014, 05:48 AM

Food for thought..
"Sorry for the slow response to this. I have been playing with different fluids in my personal test-mule and found the ffl fluid is not the same as the factory stuff. My trans developed a leak at the main seal where the t-case mates to the trans, and had an odd slipping issue in 4th gear when cold.

I then switched back to the factory SST fluid. The oil leak stopped and the 4th gear issue was gone.

I plan to spend more time on fluids here soon, but so far the only fluids I found which do not cause leaks and allow the clutches to work properly have been factory Nissan GT-R DCT fluid, SSP Gold, or OEM factory SST fluid.

There is something about those 3 fluids which have an ingredient we call the 'slime' coating. If you use a fluid in your SST which doesn't have this odd slime coating to it, the seals will leak. I have been unable to explain what this stuff is, but it's something the SST apparently needs. I know in the GT-R world this is not needed and many people are now using ATF in their GT-R, but the SST seems to get very upset if you do this.

For kicks I tried ATF in a known good SST and several quarts of the fluid leaked out of the seals in the trans. Again, I reinstalled the OEM SST factory fluid and the leak stopped. i never touched the seals. They leaked on their own with the new fluid I would try, then stop any time I went back to the OEM fluid.

So far I have played with ATF, engine oil, Nissan GT-R, Pentosin, SSP Gold, ffl and OEM SST fluid in the trans and all seem to make the unit run differently. Oddly enough the best fluid for shifting was straight Shell Rotella T engine oil, but everything else got pissed off with it in there.

I want to try to retest all of these fluids again with a fresh and rebuilt SST to see what happens. The SST I did these tests in previously was a factory untouched unit with a lot of miles.

Jack
JACKS TRANSMISSIONS"

Who is Jack?
Well, he has beemn through the tranny a few times...
Interesting read if you have ever wondered exactly how the TC-SST works internally http://www.jackstransmissions.com/pa...blems-upgrades
Old 08-07-2014, 12:40 PM
Regional Moderator

good info, i can easily think of several reasons to run the OEM fluid, the main being something my old mobile mechanic taught me "if it aint broke, dont fix it" in this case it means, if the original fluid didnt give you any problems, why bother with an alternate or aftermarket fluid? this tranny is just too expensive for regular guys to experiment on.. i just did my first SST fluid swap at 48k and the transmission had been acting up(big time) after the new mitsu fluid and filter.. trannies back to good.. i would just rec changing it every 30k or so, cuz 48k was too long.. i understand your compulsion to try something different, but i highly doubt this will pay off... youll save the most money by just learning how to DIY, and stock up on the supplies, when you can afford them...

if you do try this? and things go bad, make sure you post on it, so the next guy can be spared..

minimal partial rolls $60(no tab grinding)

So cal fender roller rental $10 per day(3 day min) with $200 cash deposit. Includes Eastwood fender roller, heat gun and heavyweight carry bag.
Old 08-07-2014, 01:06 PM

Send a message via AIM to Rralliart09

^^^^ this. Mark with the wisdom.
S-Sport and Launch Control
ETS 3" FMIC and UICP
Custom 2.5" TBE exhaust W/HFC dual Magnaflows 4" tips
R1 Concepts premium slotted rotors w/Stoptech pads
Prosport 60mm Premium boost gauge
Prosport 52mm Digital AFR gauge
Perrin column mount dual gauge pod
Blox Racing 490 shift knob in gunmetal W/Reverse Lockout Adapter
Sparco Assetto Gara 18x8 with Nitto NT555 235/40-18

"I ruin dreams all the time" -Markspd6
Old 08-15-2014, 12:12 AM

Quote:
point was that im willing to try it out due to all the different points of view on the matter...after all sometimes experimenting and trying out different things is how we learn more
Learning more by risking an $8000 transmission just to save a few dollars on regular service is not exactly a smart move. Learning from others people's experience is a lot better idea.
Old 08-15-2014, 05:10 AM

What I see is all the people who are against using anything BUT oem fluid commenting on here yet none of the people ive seen saying they have used other fluid for a loong long time with no issues. My guess is because the negativity against these fluids will continue. Yet there is still no 100% proof theyll cause issues...some people have had inconclusive megative results but there could be a few things off with the cause. Such as: how hot are they running the tranny? Drag racing? Auto-x? Simply daily driving? If one of first batches of SST trans from the first series of RAs?? Also jacks paragraph does mention it was a stock tranny on a lot of miles? Could have general issues....never saw a paragraph he said hed post about trying it all out on a rebuilt trans.....? No consistent experimental results there....in either case i received my FFL-2 and my paper filter and i will change it to that and yes i will make sure to post about whether i get any issues...i have noo problem admitting when im wrong. In either case this thread was to show my results not to start an argument lol :P thanks for all the input guys!
Old 08-15-2014, 06:37 AM

Not to speak for others, but I was not one in here to start an argument at all. This forum is a place where we all come to help each other out, and I was simply trying to give you my experience. And I saw the exact same thing Jack did. You said there was "no consistent experimental results there"? I had the exact same thing he did, in that with the Pentosin, I was losing small amounts of fluid, and it stopped immediately when I went back to stock. I didn't notice the 4th gear issue Jack had, but you say no consistent result was there? Both issues were there with the FFL-2, and went away magically with the oem stuff. You act like we are a bunch of guys that work for Mitsubishi, or something.

But this is the one thing that really left me scratching my head, and the one question that I have for you.

I went to FFL-2 back before people started having issues with it because it was WAY cheaper. I saved over $100 at the time, over OEM. You spent $300 shipped for the FFL-2 and filter. You can get fluid from Fred beans for $244+$17 shipping, and a filter from SSP for $35+$6 shipping. That is $302 delivered. You saved $2. And there hasn't been a single person that has said the FFL-2 performs BETTER than OEM. If it is the same cost, I'm confused as to why you decided to go with the FFL
Old 08-15-2014, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew View Post
Not to speak for others, but I was not one in here to start an argument at all. This forum is a place where we all come to help each other out, and I was simply trying to give you my experience. And I saw the exact same thing Jack did. You said there was "no consistent experimental results there"? I had the exact same thing he did, in that with the Pentosin, I was losing small amounts of fluid, and it stopped immediately when I went back to stock. I didn't notice the 4th gear issue Jack had, but you say no consistent result was there? Both issues were there with the FFL-2, and went away magically with the oem stuff. You act like we are a bunch of guys that work for Mitsubishi, or something.

But this is the one thing that really left me scratching my head, and the one question that I have for you.

I went to FFL-2 back before people started having issues with it because it was WAY cheaper. I saved over $100 at the time, over OEM. You spent $300 shipped for the FFL-2 and filter. You can get fluid from Fred beans for $244+$17 shipping, and a filter from SSP for $35+$6 shipping. That is $302 delivered. You saved $2. And there hasn't been a single person that has said the FFL-2 performs BETTER than OEM. If it is the same cost, I'm confused as to why you decided to go with the FFL
Probably shouldve specified...filter i got from ssp exactly as u said and ffl-2 i got 13 quarts for 260 shipped while diaqueen wouldve been 300 for A LOT less...and to the point about inconsistent results...how many miles is ur tranny on? How hard do you run it? Any prior issues, etc? Those are the factors at least in my opinion that could affect performance of the fluid as well as the seals and such on the tranny...how much was the leak? Did u measure amt lost and period of time? Could it have been overfilled at all?

Last edited by blkdrgn09; 08-15-2014 at 07:03 AM.
Old 08-15-2014, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Probably shouldve specified...filter i got from ssp exactly as u said and ffl-2 i got 13 quarts for 260 shipped while diaqueen wouldve been 300 for A LOT less...and to the point about inconsistent results...how many miles is ur tranny on? How hard do you run it? Any prior issues, etc? Those are the factors at least in my opinion that could affect performance of the fluid as well as the seals and such on the tranny...how much was the leak? Did u measure amt lost and period of time? Could it have been overfilled at all?
I hear what you are saying, but all of these points are moot when you look at the fact that my tranny had LESS miles with the FFL-2, and I drove it the same with both fluids. Myself, Jack and others have seen issues that they had WITH FFL-2, that went AWAY going back to stock. There are zero other factors here, but the fluid. If it was age or wear of the transmission, it wouldn't get better with a fluid change. And I had no prior issues with OEM, went to Pentosin, and had a seal leak like many others have stated, and switched back to OEM, and it stopped. It is not very much leaking at all. It's not like you will have a puddle under your car. But the simple fact is that the pentosin has caused some to have leaks that were solved ONLY with returning to OEM fluid. I'm unsure how you can contribute that to any other variable.

Kosmic motorsports, who have rebuilt quite a few SSTs has said that they have seen the epoxy that holds the magnets on the forks actually dissolve and the magnets fall off. And they stated that they have ONLY seen this in cars WITHOUT stock fluid.

I really do hope you have zero issues. I don't think I did any long term damage to mine, but there is no way to be sure. But, to me, the issues that a few people have has isn't worth saving $100 IMO.