ClubRalliart.com Your ad here
Old 08-13-2013, 07:21 PM

Question Help! With KSport Rally Spec Coilovers

Hello all, I am looking into upgrading my suspension to these:http://www.lancershop.com/customer/p...cat=224&page=1 . I want to lower the car minimally 1-1.5" and the main thing is to INCREASE handling! Now this car is my DD and I am wondering if these are too aggressive for a daily car? I also plan to do track days and possibly autoX so are these ok for that too? Also does anyone know if these truly are fully adjustable as they say they are? And lastly I know NOTHING about spring rates and what is good for our cars.... are these even a good fit

And to end; if anyone has other suggestions please feel free to let me know! I am very naïve on the whole suspension set up for this car. So yes I basically know nothing . Please help & Thank you all!
Old 08-13-2013, 11:46 PM

If your car is a daily driver with some weekend warrior track stuff you might want to save your self a bunch of money and check out Road Race engineering grip springs.

They will give you the drop you want, the sportier ride and not damage your stock struts or shocks prematurely like a lot of after market springs will after a few months.
Here is the link and the price is right too! http://roadracemotorsports.com/store...roducts_id=713

This would allow you to sink a bit more money into upgrading other suspension pieces or maybe upgrade to some better brake pads wider rims and tires to give you the extra grip to cut down your timed runs on the track or auto cross.
Old 08-14-2013, 05:41 AM

Thanks for the info! I'll check them out! How hard is it to replace the springs?

I like the idea of being able to adjust the stiffness with these KSport's As I would like to go sporty for DD and super stiff for track days. However I like the price tag and reputation of the RRE's much better! Anyone out there ever used these KSport's and have some input???

I guess if they are a huge advantage I can justify the cost but if they are only slightly better I'd go with the springs. I'm still open to other suggestions as well! I want all the info I can get!
Old 08-14-2013, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cetme View Post
Thanks for the info! I'll check them out! How hard is it to replace the springs?

I like the idea of being able to adjust the stiffness with these KSport's As I would like to go sporty for DD and super stiff for track days. However I like the price tag and reputation of the RRE's much better! Anyone out there ever used these KSport's and have some input???

I guess if they are a huge advantage I can justify the cost but if they are only slightly better I'd go with the springs. I'm still open to other suggestions as well! I want all the info I can get!
Hey I have These by Mugen Racing I spent about less than a 1k shipped and they work great. Have not had any issues. Dont waist your time with lowering springs my stock shocks went bad in less than a year after have lowering the car. I have had coils since May and my car is slammed it handles way better I knew they were the great when I did (!!%) mph around a 45mph turn with 3 occupants in the car on nearly bald tires it was amazaing (dont try this at home). http://www.autocityimports.com//2008...es-p-8251.html
Injen SRI, UR UICP & LICP, UR 4.5 IC, COBB AP custome stg 2 tune, 3in TBE, Whiteline front strut bar, RRM rear strut bar, tint, roof spoiler, 2.5 turbo compressor outlet pipe, AMS BOV, AMS Boost Pill, TWE Catch Can, Megan Racing Coil Overs

Future Engine and Tranny Mods:
Water Meth Kit
SSP Oil Cooler
Fan for Stock Trans Cooler w/ washable filter

Future Suspension Mods:
Sway Bars
Rear Diff Bushing Kit
Cusco 4 or 5 pt Brace
Front Cross Member
Old 08-14-2013, 10:36 AM

Replacing springs on our cars is pretty straight forward. Road race has 2 videos on YouTube where they replace the fronts and the other video shows them doing the rears. They did not use a spring compressor, but if you haven't you might want to rent one from a local shop or you could simply pay a shop approx. an hour ro an hour an a half labour for them to do it. the back ones are a pc of cake the front ones take a little longer because a lot of stuff is connected to them.

Yeah in theory coil overs are the perfect solution but in practice people get lazy and complain a lot. Suspension is one of those weird things where everyone has their own idea of what the suspension should feel like on a given car for a given application. I have found over the past 5 years being at the track and on several Mitusbishi Forums that a lot of money is spent over and over trying to find that perfect set up. In the end several of these people got a bad taste in their mouth and sold off the car because they were chasing their Unicorn. LOL!

What I am saying is $250 is not a lot of money to try out a new set of springs from a reputable company which will give the drop you indicated and a sportier ride. I just would hate to see you spend 1 k + and be messing around with adjusting them to every combo possible and still not be happy.

FYI these are the springs I will be installing on my own car next summer. So good luck with whatever you decide to do as this is just my 2 cents.
Old 08-14-2013, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RALM View Post
Hey I have These by Mugen Racing I spent about less than a 1k shipped and they work great. Have not had any issues. Dont waist your time with lowering springs my stock shocks went bad in less than a year after have lowering the car. I have had coils since May and my car is slammed it handles way better I knew they were the great when I did (!!%) mph around a 45mph turn with 3 occupants in the car on nearly bald tires it was amazaing (dont try this at home). http://www.autocityimports.com//2008...es-p-8251.html
That's what my concern was with springs, I don't wanna fatigue any parts early plus a majority of people I know all reccomend going the coilovers route. What springs were u on? I know that the RRE are supposed to prevent premature failure but I have no first hand experience with them.

Also even tho this car is my DD I drive it like I stole it daily, so handling is important to me and so is the longevity/quality of the parts. I am not a fan of saving $100 now and then having to upgrade later and drop the $1500 I should have the first time. I guess I'd rather spend coin up front and have a quality long term part than a cheap fix.
Old 08-14-2013, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal View Post
Replacing springs on our cars is pretty straight forward. Road race has 2 videos on YouTube where they replace the fronts and the other video shows them doing the rears. They did not use a spring compressor, but if you haven't you might want to rent one from a local shop or you could simply pay a shop approx. an hour ro an hour an a half labour for them to do it. the back ones are a pc of cake the front ones take a little longer because a lot of stuff is connected to them.

Yeah in theory coil overs are the perfect solution but in practice people get lazy and complain a lot. Suspension is one of those weird things where everyone has their own idea of what the suspension should feel like on a given car for a given application. I have found over the past 5 years being at the track and on several Mitusbishi Forums that a lot of money is spent over and over trying to find that perfect set up. In the end several of these people got a bad taste in their mouth and sold off the car because they were chasing their Unicorn. LOL!

What I am saying is $250 is not a lot of money to try out a new set of springs from a reputable company which will give the drop you indicated and a sportier ride. I just would hate to see you spend 1 k + and be messing around with adjusting them to every combo possible and still not be happy.

FYI these are the springs I will be installing on my own car next summer. So good luck with whatever you decide to do as this is just my 2 cents.
I agree that $250 is a minimal amount to try somthing better but if I don't like them or they wear parts to quickly I would then end up with coils anyway. And I'm not overly picky on "The perfect setup" like some I know are lol so that's why I'm leaning towards the coilovers that way I have the adjustment if I want it.
Old 08-14-2013, 10:40 PM

What I will say is the reason I am getting the grip springs myself is that they are the only springs I know of that will give you a decent drop without overloading the stock struts and shocks. In other words less than a year later I won't be replacing my OEM struts because I installed after market springs. Google it do some research yourself.

In the end its your car and money. What ever you decide to do and what ever the results please provide some feed back once you have installed and used product X for at least a few months.
Old 08-15-2013, 08:14 AM

I personally have the RRM GRIP springs on my RA. I wouldn't say I handle just as good, but I keep up with a couple of Evo's on coilovers around the corners.

Could be that I've got more balls, or just that the suspension is just good enough to handle what I'm throwing at it.

I've been running my GRIP springs for a year in September and my stock struts are just fine. I'm estimating them to last probably 50k miles on the GRIP springs where about 60k would be about the breaking point for them on stockers. You'll take a bit of a loss on that one, but they definitely have done the job so far. I've also been back and forth about so many different coilovers that I'm glad I didn't just pull the trigger on the "cheapest" set or the "most recommended" set.

Best recommendation I could give you is to go for some springs be it Tein, Megan, RRM, etc for now. Work on brakes, wheels/tires, sway bars. You can really change how this car handles just with an adjustable rear sway bar. Makes the world of difference on how the car will rotate.

After talking to Mike W @ RRE a few times about this, the best bang for your buck track day/daily driver setup that I could figure out was to do:

Lowering Springs
Ceramic Brake pads
Slotted brake rotors
Stainless Brake Lines
New brake fluid
Rear sway bar

and you could do that all for under the cost of what it would run you for coils.
Evo X FMIC | MAP UICP | Evo X LICP | Evo X BPV | AEM Intake | AMS Boost Pill | GST Basemap Tuned by Razorlabs | RRM GRIP Springs | Oil Catch Tank | Agency Power Downpipe | Avid1 18x9 +35 Wheels | Project Kics R28 Lugs | AMS 3" Resonated Test Pipe | Ultimate Racing 3" Dual-Tip Catback | Zeitronix ZT-2 + ZR-2 Wideband/Boost gauge | Tomei Oil Cap | CF Engine Cover | CF Hood Struts | HKS Radiator Cap | Coming Soon: Evo X turbo upgrade

Last edited by deprydation; 08-15-2013 at 08:20 AM.
Old 09-09-2013, 08:34 PM

Just ordered a set of KYB GR2 struts, of course, made for the lighter GTS Lancer, and will be adding a set of RRM Grip springs.

The stock struts n springs are pretty worn with 62,000 miles on them and the rear end squats horribly under acceleration now.

Anyone run the RRM springs with the KYB'S???

Any feed back compared to the stock set up??

Chris

Beeble tuned, Magnaflow and turboxs, turbo back exhaust, k&n SRI, Forge BOV,Tinted lights, Depo intercooler and pipes, RRM spring and KYB struts, Whiteline diff mounts.

Tags
coilovers, suspension