ClubRalliart.com Your ad here

Go Back   ClubRalliart.com > 2009+ Lancer Ralliart Forums > 2009+ Lancer Ralliart Tuning and Tech
Home Forums Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-12-2012, 01:15 PM

Exclamation Risk of a basemap??

I spoke with a tune shop and asked if I could just have them install a basemap while they were in the car working on something else. This way, I get something simple, pay for the labor, but don't pay 500 bucks for a custom tune...

They said they won't flash the car unless they can specifically cater it to the car, for safety issues (engine problems etc).

Is this just them trying to keep the business going and book tune time?
Or will installing just a car-specific basemap (gst v3 for instance) cause any issues?

Thanks!

2010 rg sportback
Old 12-12-2012, 01:41 PM

Seeing how over hundreds of ralliart users have installed the gst basemaps and have had no serious issues, im sure safety is not an issue. IF they dont know about it, inform them. if they still refuse to do it for you, its about money. IT's super easy to do too, i would be surprised if they charged you an arm and a leg for it, then again they probably will.
Old 12-12-2012, 04:00 PM

Tell them you will sign a liability waiver

And the Basemaps are somewhat specific too; no mods, boost pill, drop in, etc.

zeRep
Old 12-13-2012, 08:33 AM

Ok, well they might do it, but probably won't, and if they do it would cost like 250 bucks. They were nice about it, so I'm not mad, just wish it was easy and they could just flash a file. Apparently it's more complex since I don't have a wideband, or anything, so they'd need to put it on the dyno.

Oh well, I'll probably get a tactrix cable next week and flash it. I'm installing an evo bov too, should make it easier to get the power.

Anybody in northern NJ have a tactrix cable I can borrow for a day or two?

Thanks!

2010 rg sportback
Old 12-13-2012, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skills View Post
Ok, well they might do it, but probably won't, and if they do it would cost like 250 bucks. They were nice about it, so I'm not mad, just wish it was easy and they could just flash a file. Apparently it's more complex since I don't have a wideband, or anything, so they'd need to put it on the dyno.

Oh well, I'll probably get a tactrix cable next week and flash it. I'm installing an evo bov too, should make it easier to get the power.

Anybody in northern NJ have a tactrix cable I can borrow for a day or two?

Thanks!
all you want is for them to flash a map to your car. you don't want a tune and/or any dyno time

those basemaps are pre-done tunes based on expected mods and experience. since Bryan made them widely available, he left lots of room for safety - as any basemap should. That is why they are called basemaps - they are a starting point for a tune. Over time people seemed to have taken them for granted and consider them tuned, but they are still a very moderate tune with variance for lots of climates/cars.

if you want a full professional tune, then you pay for their time and dyno. That's not what you want. You just want a map flashed to the car and be done

the shop probably doesn't want liability for a basemap that they've never seen before. let them know you understand that and won't hold them liable. all you're asking is for them to use their laptop/cable to flash something you brought instead of having to get your own
Old 12-13-2012, 07:35 PM

We dont charge anything to load free basemaps here @ RRE. Free is free here.

The flip side of your question and their response is: should you trust these guys? If they have never heard of and do not trust Bryan's free base map deal, then they have not been seriously into the EVO X and RalliArt and SST transmission tuning world for you to trust them to tune your RalliArt.

For us sure it takes 20 minutes to power up the laptop, find and download whatever map you were asking for, stumble out to the car, save your stock map, load your chosen free base map. While we could easily charge for that 20 minutes for us it is like giving a free sample of crack cocaine to a teenager. You'll be back for more :-)

Mike W
Old 12-13-2012, 08:00 PM
Super Moderator

lol Mike W, you could've definitely left the crack cocaine out of the post. lol.
Mike W & Bryan are great guys. I trust them with my RA. Other people not so much... Before they get my business, they would have to earn it, back it up with knowledge & skills. If I know more about the Evo X or RA than the shop, I am not giving them my business.

Last edited by MTZL; 12-13-2012 at 08:03 PM.
Old 12-13-2012, 08:54 PM

Spoken like a true addict :-)

Mike W
Old 12-13-2012, 09:09 PM

haha thanks guys.

Mike, if I was on the west coast I'd be at your shop tomorrow!!

2010 rg sportback
Old 12-13-2012, 09:30 PM

Yeah too bad your not in NY mike. Ive been thinking about a basemap or tune and the only tune shop near by dosnt even mess with the ralliart only evos