ClubRalliart.com Your ad here

Go Back   ClubRalliart.com > 2009+ Lancer Ralliart Forums > 2009+ Lancer Ralliart Tech Talk and Power Mods
Home Forums Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-28-2011, 11:06 AM

Default Upgraded RA Turbo by FP

This was brought up in another thread on another forum, but I thought I'd share it here too. FP informed me they are able to upgrade a stock RA turbo to a 65mm HTA wheel with a 43 lb/min flow rate.

Here is the e-mail thread of my conversation with Robert at FP for reference.

My Original e-mail:
Quote:
Just curious if you have any plans to make a hybrid turbo out of the Mitsubishi Ralliart turbo (TD04HL-15T-7)? CBRD has done so and dubbed it the RAD Lite, however I wanted to see if you plan on, or if I provided my stock turbo, will create something similar?
Roberts Response:
Quote:
Ryan, we can do such a thing of course. If fact we have done it on a number of occasions, but the results do not equal the power from the stock non ralliart turbo system and in my observations isnt really very useful for that reason. I am unaware of any constraint anywhere that requires the ralliart owner to retain the tiny TD04 turbo in order to participate in racing, so abandoning the TD04HL is about the smartest decision you could make. Ok, so now that full disclosure has occurred I would be happy to make a tiny ralliart turbo a tiny bit bigger
My Response:
Quote:
Robert,

Thank you for the quick reply. While I am aware that the TD04 is a tiny turbo and I could move up to a TD05/Evo X Stock housing based turbo, it would require the o2 housing, manifold, and quite a few other parts from an X. My other issue is intakes. The information I have found has indicated a Evo-X intake (aftermarket or stock) is needed to go that direction, and with that comes battery relocation or a small battery. I also kind of like the idea of doing something different. To be honest I have a relatively modest goal of 300 – 320 WHP… which seems doable upgrading the TD04… correct me if I am wrong.

I also know quite a few others on EvolutionM.net are looking to avoid going the X swap route and just want something bolt-on, tune, and go. While CBRD offers such a thing, they don’t list a price, and getting ahold of them is difficult. .... If FP were to offer a similar upgrade without the hassle, I believe the outcome would be beneficial to both FP and the community of Ralliart owners.

So what would be next steps to getting something like this started, and what do you think the overall costs would be? I have a spare TD04 I can ship to you to do some research on.

Thank You,
Ryan
Roberts Response:
Quote:
Ok, there isnt any research that needs to be done, the programs are already written for the wheels and the cover recontour. Sned it over and we'll do one up for you. If the core is good we will go a billet HTA upgrade for $795. It is a 65mm HTA wheel with a 43 lb/min flow rate that. This is the same wheel we use in the twin 997 aplication which normally operates around 700whp in the P-cars. Robert
My Reply
Quote:
Robert,

Sounds good to me. Will there be any work done to the actuator? I know this thing runs out of breath on the top end and from what I’ve read that should address that issue… again, I’m just going off what I’ve read, you’re the expert, not me.

Where can I send the turbo? Should I send it, let you take a look to make sure we’re good to go, then make payment, or do you require payment up-front?

Thanks,
Ryan
Robert's Reply
Quote:
of course it runs out of breath on the top end, its a itsy bitsy turbo with a itsy bitsy turbine housing and a itsy bitsy turbine housing on a motor that deserves so much more. No payment until the work is done use the turbocharger check in sheet from the turbocharger rebuild section of the website. I dont have any updated actuators for that turbo, honestly it wouldnt do a whole lot besides make it easier to destroy the turbo with overspeed since it is so small.
Old 10-28-2011, 11:08 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to BravoZero

We chatted about this in person, but this dude is very snarky.
Old 10-28-2011, 11:12 AM

I did share my opinion on the matter with you in person, but figured I'd keep it outta here and simply provide the information I have so others can make their own decision.
Old 10-28-2011, 11:19 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to BravoZero

Word.

However, if this were to happen, this might be a good thing.
Old 10-28-2011, 11:58 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks Ryan
for the inquiry & info.

The more initiative we show towards our RA the more doors will open.
Old 10-29-2011, 10:21 PM

Great discussion, In my opinion CBRD is better than FP, I'm going with the Lite. Isn't the Lite $900? Anyone know.
Old 10-30-2011, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuqwik4u View Post
Great discussion, In my opinion CBRD is better than FP, I'm going with the Lite. Isn't the Lite $900? Anyone know.
yea i paid 895
Old 10-30-2011, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG-RA View Post
yea i paid 895
Nice, Is ur RA up and running?
Old 11-02-2011, 06:18 PM

Is there a way to replace journal bearings with ball bearings when shipping the turbo to such a company?
Old 11-27-2011, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyline Fever View Post
Is there a way to replace journal bearings with ball bearings when shipping the turbo to such a company?
Ball bearings isn't really going to make a huge difference on SST trannys