ClubRalliart.com Your ad here

Go Back   ClubRalliart.com > 2009+ Lancer Ralliart Forums > 2009+ Lancer Ralliart General
Home Forums Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-03-2012, 06:36 PM

Default Thinking about buying a Ralliart but I have some worries..

I found a 2009 Lancer Ralliart with 41k miles that's a great deal. It was in stock form, not even an aftermarket intake or exhaust.

I test drove it today and it drove great. There was some hesitation from dead stop to first, but I've read that is normal, I also noticed this in between all gears. No jittering. When I stomped on it, it responded accordingly and shifted very well. This is my first time ever being in one of these cars so I don't know what normal is. It was like what I'd imagine a car with a higher than stock stall converter; that was only while cruising. I was limited to my speed, only got it to third gear.

I've read a transmission for one of these cannot be rebuilt and they are QUITE expensive to replace(somewhere in the neighborhood of 10K). I got online and did some searches and it seems there are quite a few people with tranny issues in the '09 on unmodded cars with low miles.

Is there anything I can do to fully check the car out before I sign for it? Should I walk away from it since I can't really afford to make a repair like that? 2-3K I could see doing, but 10k(if that's even right) is just too much for me right now.

Thanks a lot guys for any help you can provide.
Old 09-03-2012, 07:09 PM

Default buying a ralliart

I would have a good mechanic that is familiar with this type of transmission check it out or buy an extended warranty. I have a 2012 and this is one of the nicest cars I have ever had. Hope you get some feedback from someone with more knowledge on this tranny!
Old 09-03-2012, 09:01 PM

I would ask the dealer to provide proof if 30K mile maintainance is done...because at 30k...tranny and diff fluid is changed...if they have not changed or bullshit u that is changed..then u can either walk away or demand them to change it before u sign the paper...

Hope this helps...

Where u at anyways?

Phase 1
[X] Cosworth Drop-In
[X] UR Full Catback Exhaust
[X] UR Upper ICP
[X] UR Lower ICP
[X] Evo X FMIC
[X] Evo X BOV

Phase 2 - Breaks
Old 09-03-2012, 10:29 PM

Man, the car's at a used car dealership...like the mom and pop kind...The guy selling it knows nothing about it. He's very honest and upfront about everything though. I called back and he said he'd have a carfax for me tomorrow(which should have all maintenance records from the dealer..). The more I think about it the more I think it's not for me.

After looking at it I was nervous about the hesitation from stop to 1st so I checked google and saw it was normal. I called and said I'd be by tomorrow to negotiate. Glad I did some more digging. I just wish I could know if it'd hold out or not. If they're failing on stock cars, I wonder how they're doing on modified cars..I couldn't leave a car like that stock. It's just too tempting.

I'm in Harlingen, Tx. Literally a stones throw from the border.
Old 09-03-2012, 10:53 PM

Then I would suggest u to walk away...tranny is too much of an issue if it gives up on u...the best thing at this point is find one either from a mitsu dealer or private sale (craigslist or such)...otherwise...talk the price down about $1000 or $2000 off what they're selling u then take that cash to get ALL the mitsu required maintainece done at a mitsu dealer...there is quit a few TX RA/Evo owners...dig around they'll guide u...also...SSP and this guy Exyia is in TX...although they're far from u...it might be worth it...

G/L on ur hunt...just remeber to take ur time to search...it'll pay off in the end...

Phase 1
[X] Cosworth Drop-In
[X] UR Full Catback Exhaust
[X] UR Upper ICP
[X] UR Lower ICP
[X] Evo X FMIC
[X] Evo X BOV

Phase 2 - Breaks
Old 09-04-2012, 12:19 PM
Super Moderator

Everything is fix-able.

41k miles is pretty high for these kind of cars.
(If you still have 60K warranty, I would, depends on the OTD cost)
If it is "as-is"? I would reconsider.

I have over 50k miles, mine is 2009.
No problem so far. I have less then 9k miles left to break the SST.
I seriously doubt it would break or malfunction.
I have added RRE SST coolers & got a tune from Razorlab himself.

I think SST issues are random & it is not consistent problems.
New SST is not 10K it is more like 6-7k with cost-plus businesses it can get up to 10k. Last post on SST cost was around 8k, from what I remember.

Repair shouldnt cost you 10k, replacement cost of the whole SST 10k maybe if you dont shop around.
If you/we can find a source, it will get cheaper.
SST can be repaired, it is serviceable for the most part.

If you can afford new, I would consider it. The money you save on buying a used car can come back to hunt you. If I was 4b11t & SST expert, I would buy it, if the price is right.

I was going to buy the test drive 2009 WW RA with 1,800 miles for 18k, I went back in & it was sold.
I ended up getting a brand new with 7 miles on it for 0% apr for 60months.

I'd say shop around if you are buying into "As-is".
Only if it is cheap enough to absorb the repair cost, would I consider buying used "as-is" car.

Last edited by MTZL; 09-04-2012 at 12:24 PM.
Old 09-04-2012, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTZL View Post

I have over 50k miles, mine is 2010.
No problem so far. I have less then 1k miles left to break the SST.

I was going to buy the test drive 2009 WRX w/ premium pkg for 22k, I went back in & it was sold.
I ended up getting a brand new with 3 miles on it for 0% apr for 60months.
MIKE! We have similar stories

zeRep
Old 09-05-2012, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdbyrd View Post
After looking at it I was nervous about the hesitation from stop to 1st so I checked google and saw it was normal.
You may have already made your decision, but as your research found, yes, that is normal for these cars. I bought my car new, and that was the first thing the dealer told me as I got in the driver seat during the test drive. I was a little disappointed with it at first, but you just have to learn how to drive it, and then it's not really an issue. For example, if I know I'm going to have to pull out quickly after a car, I'll start pushing the gas pedal before I would on another car. It's just a shame that I can't take off from a stop all that fast without launching the car, which I'd rather not do too often. However, the car is still an absolute blast, and I don't regret my purchase at all.
Old 09-05-2012, 01:25 PM

If I were you I would get a used one from a big well known dealership. Then you could get extended warranty or service program mine was 1900$ and covers the car 60k 5 years bumper to bumper even a flat tire they will fix or replace so no worries for me how much they want die the car btw BC I bought mine for 21500 with only 15k miles
Old 09-05-2012, 06:29 PM

define "good deal"

with the prices of new Ralliarts WITH their financing deals, then the worry-free factor of having a new SST makes new ones hard to turn down compared to used

the SST is a sealed unit, so nobody will be able to tell you the condition without opening it. best way to tell is a test drive. make sure both upshifts and downshifts are crisp, at all levels of throttle

if the fluid hasn't been changed, I wouldn't even bother. deals on new ralliarts from the dealer are good enough to make most used potential nightmares just not worth the trouble