ClubRalliart.com Your ad here

Go Back   ClubRalliart.com > 2009+ Lancer Ralliart Forums > 2009+ Lancer Ralliart Drivetrain
Home Forums Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-15-2010, 04:46 PM

Default Possible SST Failure

Background:

I have a 2010 Lancer Ralliart SportBack. Recaro package. 100% stock.

Bought it in April of this year.

Had an issue with the Car not starting in Cold/Wet weather. Dealership said nothing was wrong. Hasn't happened since I took it in. Ok, think everything is good.

Routine Maintenence Required Light is continually On. Oilchange... BOOM back on. Never goes off. But never a problem with the car.

Its COLD here, bone chilling cold (pittsburgh, pa). Didn't drive it at all yesterday and it was snow covered.

I go to and from work today with no problem. Then I leave to go to the bar, and out of nowhere, my car LOSES the ability to shift into first, third or fifth gear. It will 'idle' in first gear, but soon as I stepped on the gas, it went to 2nd gear.

NOTHING. Wont do it in Normal/Sport, nor with the paddles.

Car still runs in those gears (2, 4, 6) fine, but EVERY time it shifted from 4th to 6th there was insane shift shock (to be expected I suppose).

I turn around and got the car back to my driveway. Turned it off. Gave it a few minutes, and turned it back on.

The son of a bitch worked fine.

Normal... Sport... 'Manual'... shifted perfectly.

I will attempt to drive it to work tomorrow, and will see what happens.
Old 12-15-2010, 05:04 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalliNoob View Post
Background:

Had an issue with the Car not starting in Cold/Wet weather. Dealership said nothing was wrong. Hasn't happened since I took it in. Ok, think everything is good.

Routine Maintenence Required Light is continually On. Oilchange... BOOM back on. Never goes off. But never a problem with the car.

Its COLD here, bone chilling cold (pittsburgh, pa). Didn't drive it at all yesterday and it was snow covered.

I go to and from work today with no problem. Then I leave to go to the bar, and out of nowhere, my car LOSES the ability to shift into first, third or fifth gear. It will 'idle' in first gear, but soon as I stepped on the gas, it went to 2nd gear.

Car still runs in those gears (2, 4, 6) fine, but EVERY time it shifted from 4th to 6th there was insane shift shock (to be expected I suppose).

I turn around and got the car back to my driveway. Turned it off. Gave it a few minutes, and turned it back on.

Sorry to hear...
Best to take it back to the dealership & have them do warranty work. Maybe odd gear clutch is not happy with the cold weather.

Keep us posted...
Old 12-15-2010, 08:09 PM

Here is something to try. One try and warm up the car at least 5-10 minutes before driving. If you cant then try holding the brake and slowly move the shifter from park to reverse nuetral drive and then back again twice pausing about 3 seconds in between each change. This causes the clutches to engage and creates friction which causes transfluid to warm up faster. Notice I did not mention touching the gas pedal. This way there is no real load or torque being aplied, just helps to warm up the trans so you don't do damage to it.

The only trouble I have sometimes is that I get bad gas that has too much moisture in it or other impurities. I find I don't have problems if I run a higher octane like 94 that has has a natural gas line antifreeze in it like a percentage of ethanol or something similar added. Because of my tune if I run 91 Octane and the temp dips into the -30 range I have the check engine light come on for days after. Then i switch to a couple tanks of the 94 Octane with ethanol and then the light goes out by the beginning of the second tankful.
Old 12-15-2010, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalliNoob View Post
Background:

i got the same problem with my ralliart having trouble starting. i notice that its in cold weather only.
Old 12-16-2010, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrazyRA View Post
i got the same problem with my ralliart having trouble starting. i notice that its in cold weather only.
Yeah, the starting is no real issue. Just a normal, turbo + cold air + electronics bullcrap.

Im just really concerned with the losing of 1,3, 5 gears.

Well, I drove it again this morning... and it worked perfectly AGAIN...

I was able to procure a TSB from someone on the Evolutionm forum and will be calling the dealer to get a replacement for the fuel pump relay. Hopefully this is not a true failure but a "ghost in the machine."
Old 12-16-2010, 10:22 AM

Send a message via AIM to Mkid Send a message via MSN to Mkid Send a message via Yahoo to Mkid

I live in Florida and I had trouble starting my car about every couple weeks even during our fall months so I don't think it has to do with extreme cold. However, sometimes it did seem to happen when it had been hot out and then rapidly cooled off at night. Might be moisture too. I never really figured out what was causing it and it stumped the dealer as well. I haven't had the problem for the past few months though so maybe it was just part of the car breaking in.

Luckily I've never had any transmission issues.
D2 RS Coilovers
Evo X FMIC
Ultimate Racing turbo-back
400HP clutches from Jack's
AEM Intake

My Car Thread

From Florida? Click here!
Old 12-17-2010, 08:24 PM

So i took the car to the Dealership last night, told em what happened. Also said the car had trouble starting every few weeks.

Got it back today and low and behold... "Nothing is wrong!" No error codes on the ECU/TCM...

So here is what they told me, "It may have occurred because you have 16inch wheels on your car and the car is programmed for 18inch tires." Im like... What? If that is your answer, why didn't it happen when you test drove it? All we can say is if it happens again, bring it in.

They did change the Fuel Relay chips... So that should solve all the starting issues.

So I will be keeping a strong eye on it, hoping it fails when the dealership is open so I can drive it to them while its failing.
Old 12-18-2010, 10:11 AM

Wow.. that's just a line of you know what. I have 16" wheels on my car. The manual doesn't say not to us anything other than the OEM 18" wheels..

ugh.. sorry for you frustrations mate.

edit.. so using a tire calc, I have determined that my 16" wheels with 55 series are sitting at 98% of the 18" OEM package.

Last edited by GAbOS; 12-18-2010 at 10:21 AM.
Old 12-29-2010, 07:10 PM

Default My 2010 ralliart had the same problem!!!

I had the exact same problem just started few weeks ago. The problem is whenever i restart the car everything is FINE!!! If you drive the car very hard under normal setting the problem occur. The car will only shift gear with it reach the redline. Also the car only operate on odd gears 1 3 5 and all the even gear dissappear. This morning the transmit complete fail, when i was on the highway where no matter how much i step on the gas the RPM go over 5k but no acceleration.
Old 02-15-2011, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dk24 View Post
I had the exact same problem just started few weeks ago. The problem is whenever i restart the car everything is FINE!!! If you drive the car very hard under normal setting the problem occur. The car will only shift gear with it reach the redline. Also the car only operate on odd gears 1 3 5 and all the even gear dissappear. This morning the transmit complete fail, when i was on the highway where no matter how much i step on the gas the RPM go over 5k but no acceleration.
The exact same thing happened to me, mitsu tried to blame it on a K&N drop in filter. I didn't accept that answer, they eventually replaced my tranny.