ClubRalliart.com Your ad here

Go Back   ClubRalliart.com > 2009+ Lancer Ralliart Forums > 2009+ Lancer Ralliart General
Home Forums Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-24-2012, 07:00 PM

Smile Going to the track Saturday

This will be my first time tracking (well, autocross) my ralliart, I'm pretty stoked.

Is anyone else an east coaster, going to the Ft Devens autocross Saturday?

Any tips for driving this beast at full capacity on a track?

Also, I'm pretty much bone stock. Anything that I could upgrade in the power department in the next few days? Not necessary, but it could be fun! I already took out the back seats, etc...
Old 07-24-2012, 09:18 PM
Super Moderator

Pull your seat forward, knees bent.
Sit up til your arms bent & your wrist is at the top of your Steering wheel.
(so you're not reaching the steering wheel)

*Dont cross your left/right hand past 12 o'clock on the steering wheel.*
That way you can use your left hand to hold the steering wheel & free your right hand if necessary for gear change or e-brake.

(you should have a mental note of your steering wheels angle to relation actual wheels/tires angle)
I find it easy to keep track by quarter or half turn input on steering relation to angle on the wheel.

Gear down before turn in with right hand,
Your right hand initiate turn in, left hand guide the steering wheel after.
Right hand come back on the wheel for assist.

This is just one style of steering.

For right turns.
12 o'clock to 3 o'clock for quarter turn steering input.
12 o'clock to 6 o'clock for half turn steering input.

For left turns
3 o'clock to 12 o'clock for quarter turn steering input.
6 o'clock to 12 o'clock for half turn steering input.

In auto cross you dont need more than half turn on steering input.

(you should have a mental note of your car width & length from your perspective.)

Autocross is typically in 2nd/3rd gear.
ASC off, SST to SPORT mode.

Wide in, Dont steer more than you need to.
slow in fast out
til you feel comfortable,
you can actually push it past your comfort level..
once you're going faster than the tires can turn you will understeer
you can use understeer to your advantage by steering before the turn.

When you're skidding dont make sudden inputs unless you know what you're doing. Sometimes less is more but

if you dont squeal your stock yoko you are not driving fast enough.
But do it at your comfort level & make a mental note of how to improve.

Shake & bake.

Last edited by MTZL; 07-24-2012 at 09:31 PM.
Old 07-25-2012, 04:19 AM

Tire pressure is also important, but I wouldn't expect you to generate nearly as much heat as when doing a lapping day on a proper race track:

The following is a decent article on the topic:
http://rotarynews.com/node/view/223
Old 07-25-2012, 06:14 AM

Thanks guys! Much appreciated.

I'm doing a trans fluid change tomorrow. The sst clunks all over the place, I figure the fluid hasn't been changed. (used)

I'm using the cooper zeon zpt tires, they came on it when I bought the car. I'm sure I'll make them squeal and heat up!

I've tracked a couple of fancy RWD cars, but nothing like this AWD turbo beast.

Should be fun!!
Old 07-25-2012, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTZL View Post

*Dont cross your left/right hand past 12 o'clock on the steering wheel.*
That way you can use your left hand to hold the steering wheel & free your right hand if necessary for gear change or e-brake....
not sure if you just went on auto-pilot typing that, but definitely don't bother trying to E-Brake around corners, even in the tightest of auto-x courses

just get an instructor every run to help - don't feel like you're "too good" for one, because you probably aren't

and go read up on other people's experiences or build threads (like mine below) to soak up knowledge
Old 07-25-2012, 07:26 AM

if you are on stock tires standard is 35 front 35 rear. Boost them up to 40 front 40 rear. Then if you notice you have under steer lower the rears to 38 if you have over steer lower the front. You will figure out the course

I usually do my frist runs figuring it out if i have to much over/under steer and change my tire pressure to get more traction.
Old 07-25-2012, 07:41 AM

One thing I would add. I like using Sport/Auto mode at AutoX. The car shifts very quick on it's own and the downshifts help in the brake zone. If you are in Auto, there is no need to worry about where your hands are on the wheel. Keep your hands loose. Don't death grip the wheel. Hold it on the left and right, using your thumbs and palms to move the wheel. Your thumbs will be locked at the spokes. As mentioned, AutoX does not tend to see a lot of really tight turns, and the steering rack in our cars is Amazing! At most, you will turn the wheel 180 degrees, meaning you can let go of one hand as you are about to cross arms and still keep the other hand exactly where it was.

Another big key is being smooth. Keep your steering inputs smooth. Jerky inputs will scrub time pretty quick. Tire pressure adjustments can also effect balance of the car. More pressure in the rear for instance, would make the car feel more loose.

I was able to get the car to rotate pretty easy on throttle off in most corners with a completely stock setup (with the crap OE tires).

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

2010 WW Sedan
Custom RRE ABE
Cosworth Drop-in Filter
EvoX FMIC and UICP
ExoX BOV
Old 07-25-2012, 09:17 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exyia View Post
not sure if you just went on auto-pilot typing that, but definitely don't bother trying to E-Brake around corners, even in the tightest of auto-x courses

just get an instructor every run to help - don't feel like you're "too good" for one, because you probably aren't

and go read up on other people's experiences or build threads (like mine below) to soak up knowledge
I do tend to go on auto pilot like Im in some kind of a trance. @__@

I would ebrake especially on the tightest corner & Pedal to the metal.

Instructors? What instructors? I go on ride along with the Auto X champs.
Everybody drives differently. In the end style of driving is your own.

Sometimes I use all brake (Pedal & Pull), if Im coming in hot, to decrease the stopping distance & faster entry.
Sometimes I still go in faster than the tires would allow use ebrake for lateral control (to understeer) & pedal brake (to oversteer) at the apex while WOT.

Last edited by MTZL; 07-25-2012 at 09:29 AM.
Old 07-25-2012, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skills View Post
This will be my first time tracking (well, autocross) my ralliart, I'm pretty stoked.

Is anyone else an east coaster, going to the Ft Devens autocross Saturday?

Any tips for driving this beast at full capacity on a track?

Also, I'm pretty much bone stock. Anything that I could upgrade in the power department in the next few days? Not necessary, but it could be fun! I already took out the back seats, etc...
when you go to future events it would behoove you to invest in an aftermarket tranny cooler and lower temp thermostat as wheel as performance rated brake pads. and for power a few simple bold ons will do for circut racing but the suspension work is where you will want to spend your loot.
Injen SRI, UR UICP & LICP, UR 4.5 IC, COBB AP custome stg 2 tune, 3in TBE, Whiteline front strut bar, RRM rear strut bar, tint, roof spoiler, 2.5 turbo compressor outlet pipe, AMS BOV, AMS Boost Pill, TWE Catch Can, Megan Racing Coil Overs

Future Engine and Tranny Mods:
Water Meth Kit
SSP Oil Cooler
Fan for Stock Trans Cooler w/ washable filter

Future Suspension Mods:
Sway Bars
Rear Diff Bushing Kit
Cusco 4 or 5 pt Brace
Front Cross Member
Old 07-25-2012, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RALM View Post
when you go to future events it would behoove you to invest in an aftermarket tranny cooler and lower temp thermostat as wheel as performance rated brake pads. and for power a few simple bold ons will do for circut racing but the suspension work is where you will want to spend your loot.
yeah tires and suspension. I made the mistake and went all power and now I have little control when I do AutoX. I need soem better tires and suspension and ill shave a generous 8 seconds.