ClubRalliart.com Your ad here
Old 07-05-2015, 09:40 PM

Default Cobb stage 3 with factory downpipe?

Hey everyone,
I tried searching but couldn't find much.
I am in the process of acquiring all the parts to do an Evo x/bbx turbo swap, with upgraded FMIC, Pipes, and BOV, and all the typical bolt ons. I plan to swap all the parts at once, take it to a local shop and have them put in upgraded clutch kit, and then tune for the new parts.

Until then, I have a test pipe and catback system I was waiting to install during the above mentioned upgrade. I am running a cobb AP on stage 2 with 3 port.
Does anyone have any experience running stage 3 with just 3 port, test pipe, CBE, but still using stock down pipe?

Just curious as I'd like to put my exhaust on but avoid buying a ralliart downpipe as I will be installing my Evo downpipe in the near future.

Thanks for the help!
Old 07-10-2015, 08:32 AM

Do you really want to risk it for not that much gain? Cobb told me that even an Evo x intercooler wasn't a supported configuration.
Old 07-11-2015, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kornkid42 View Post
Do you really want to risk it for not that much gain? Cobb told me that even an Evo x intercooler wasn't a supported configuration.
Thats why I am asking, so I am not putting the car at risk haha.
Well of course, they have to stand behind anything they suggest so they play it safe. Also they stand to make quite a bit more money off of that suggestion as well.

I was just curious if anyone had tried it in the configuration I have suggested. I just dont see the huge flow difference at 21psi of boost between the downpipes if you have the cat removed. I will hook up my exhaust and test pipe and carefully monitor so we can have an answer on this.

Worst comes to worst I will have to spend an extra hundred or so on a front pipe.
Old 07-13-2015, 10:00 PM

Just my 2 cents but COBB is o.k if you own a Subaru or Mazda, but we don't.
Their tunes don't do a hell of a lot for our cars. The free GST Tune with boost pill or custom tune with 3 port boost solenoid would net you a lot more power ,some fuel economy and piece of mind.
We should have a sticky on the front page that says " Just say NO to COBB!" LOL!
Old 07-14-2015, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal View Post
We should have a sticky on the front page that says " Just say NO to COBB!" LOL!
You can get a protune via cobb as well...RRE does custom COBB tunes.

A lot of people really like COBB due to the Accessport storing multiple tunes & how easily it is to switch tunes...i.e. E85 vs 91 vs economy vs track

z
e
R
e
p

Last edited by zeRep85; 07-14-2015 at 10:29 AM.
Old 07-19-2015, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal View Post
We should have a sticky that is a bit more cut and dry in its explanation of that, that I will agree with.
I would never pay full price for one, but I got an amazing deal on Craigslist ( less than a tactrix) and I wanted the ability to switch tunes using a clean, built in interface.

Yes it would be nice to be faster with the pill right out of the box but my ultimate goal is more, and safer so I can wait.
My work scheduled flared up this summer so my goal of knocking 250lbs off the car via aluminum work, trimming fat and lightweight parts is going slowly too. with the cost of two custom tunes I'd like to have all my parts on and all of my work done first instead of getting a few piecemeal tunes along the way
Old 08-22-2015, 08:06 AM

For anyone in the future, I had to drive around with catback and testpipe but stock downpipe for a bit before I installed my X swap because I had to drive it back from the shop and wanted to make sure I liked the mufflers I picked.

I had absolutely no issues or concerns on the datalog when I was running cobb OTS ralliart stage 3 with this setup.