ClubRalliart.com Your ad here
Old 07-24-2014, 09:19 AM

Question Hail Damage - What hood should I get?

Hello guys,

I've been looking stuff up on the forums for a while but never had anything to post. But that has changed.

I own a silver 2011 Ralliart and just got some pretty nice hail damage out here in Colorado. My insurance had me get a quote and the body shop quoted 5800$ for repairs, including 937$ for the hood. Most everything except for the roof drip moldings they want to just do PDR on. But my insurance company said if I want an aftermarket hood I am welcome to do that, but costs over the original estimate will be up to me to pay.

So I started browsing around and was thinking of maybe getting a carbon fiber hood? This would ensure I don't get owned by hail again - at least on the hood. Essentially I have 937$ to play with. I was doing some googling and Andy's Auto Parts will sell a VIS CF Evo 10 hood for 600$+150$ shipping. So I still have 187$ to play with for paint/additional clearcoat (even though it's supposed to be UV protected already)/fitting. Of course I don't mind spending a little extra out of my own money, but I figured I would at least try to minimize my own costs.

Any opinions on what hood/how to paint it? My Ralliart is silver with no exterior mods except 30% tinted windows...I can post pics of helpful. My friend had the same color (Evo 10 though), and got a 6 vent CF hood and got everything except the vents painted to match his body which looked pretty nice.

Link to Andy's is: http://www.andysautosport.com/mitsub...ds/vis_racing/
Old 07-24-2014, 01:44 PM
Regional Moderator

personally im not a fan of most CF pieces. as theyre usually just CF covered fiberglass pieces.. but if youre going down that road, get a well made piece, that has lots of ventilation. our hoods are pretty light and include some functionality, so id look on the evo x forums, for some X owners ops.. otherwise id just go with the OEM.

i added hood shocks to mine, and got the MR silver vents and a rexpeed painted scoop, it all looks pretty stock, but adds a bit more air to cool the engine(hopefully) and its a bit stealthier with the matched paint.. if you plan on dumping the dented hood, lemme know i could use a cheap ass one for track days..

minimal partial rolls $60(no tab grinding)

So cal fender roller rental $10 per day(3 day min) with $200 cash deposit. Includes Eastwood fender roller, heat gun and heavyweight carry bag.
Old 09-17-2014, 09:20 AM

Default Getting rid of old stock hood

Hey Markspd6,

I thought I sent a PM but it is not showing up in my sent. Sorry this is such a late reply but I got a carbon fiber hood from carbon creations. Definitely some imperfections but can hopefully sand out most before next clear coat.

I do still have my stock hood if you are interested. I live in Colorado. I was hoping to get like 150$ for it, you pay shipping if necessary. It is 2011 silver ralliart vented (same as Evo X I think) hood. Hail damage has less than a dozen hits probably, most very small (dime size?). I am pretty picky and they aren't very noticeable. The only thing is I took some of the window washer hose from the hood, but you can get more of that for like 4$ at auto parts store. Let me know if interested.
Old 09-17-2014, 01:00 PM
Regional Moderator

Sorry just bought another car, so no extra cash. I'd try to work a deal or a trade out, but I think the shipping will cost as much as the hood..

And sorry for no reply, I got your PM, just haven't had much extra time to talk on this forum, I've been busy on one of my mazda forums, parting out my track car... Ive been doing a lot of pictures and explanations..

Post the hood for sale here or on an EVO forum, somebody should have a use for it.. Glad you got it replaced. The RA is a nice looking car, don't want a shabby one rolling around if we can help it..

minimal partial rolls $60(no tab grinding)

So cal fender roller rental $10 per day(3 day min) with $200 cash deposit. Includes Eastwood fender roller, heat gun and heavyweight carry bag.

Tags
carbon fiber, hail, hood, silver