ClubRalliart.com Your ad here
Old 10-25-2012, 08:26 AM

Default Gauging interest: FQ400 Bumper Vent

So it's that time again. I know everyone may not want this, but I have had a few people request it, so I decided to design it and see who might be interested. There are two variants that I am toying with.

1) Just a bezel and a straight duct just like the FQ400 has.

2) A bezel and a duct that directs air DIRECTLY in to the intake tube. And when I say air, I mean air and everything in it. This would require modification of the plastic radiator cover under the hood (where shown in the pics below).

The FQ400 has an unmodified radiator cover (shown). Air still flows better in to the snorkel than with the stock bumper, but it doesn't have a direct path, as it has to go around the baffle that is part of the radiator cover (shown). For option 1, you just need to cut the bumper skin only.

Old 10-25-2012, 08:28 AM

And the mounting...
Actual FQ400

Evo Mounting

RA mounting

For Option 2, you would need to cut the radiator cover where shown. Option 1 leaves it stock like the FQ does

Last edited by Drew; 10-25-2012 at 01:15 PM.
Old 10-25-2012, 07:25 PM

Nice job as always Drew. Let me know when and where to purchase and how much. Thanks man.
Old 10-25-2012, 07:41 PM

Default intake vent

yeah this sounds good to me also please tell us more
Old 10-25-2012, 07:45 PM

I like what I'm seeing!

How about option #2, with a wider radiator plate opening that is covered and connected into the factory air snorkel? That will help to keep the air cool.

I had found a snorkel extension in some engine bay picks in a thread on EvoM, and tried to find out who made it but came up empty
Attached Images
File Type: jpg snorkel_enclosure.jpg (76.2 KB, 68 views)
Old 10-25-2012, 07:47 PM

Default snorkel 1

I'm actually interested in version 1 for the ralliart to clear things up!
Old 10-25-2012, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailBrake View Post
I like what I'm seeing!

How about option #2, with a wider radiator plate opening that is covered and connected into the factory air snorkel? That will help to keep the air cool.

I had found a snorkel extension in some engine bay picks in a thread on EvoM, and tried to find out who made it but came up empty
That snorkel extension isn't needed. If you look closely at the hood and the radiator cover, you can see the hood itself acts as a snorkel extension. Option 2 (real ram air) will definitely get the job done like you want it. The duct that connects to the back of the bezel will direct cold air straight in to the snorkel opening. Honestly, I will probably do option 1 on my car, because I drive my car in all weather.

Last edited by Drew; 10-25-2012 at 08:04 PM.
Old 10-25-2012, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew View Post
That snorkel extension isn't needed. If you look closely at the hood and the radiator cover, you can see the hood itself acts as a snorkel extension. Option 2 (real ram air) will definitely get the job done like you want it. The duct that connects to the back of the bezel will direct cold air straight in to the snorkel opening. Honestly, I will probably do option 1 on my car, because I drive my car in all weather.
True, but I'm thinking that strip of weather stripping under the hood that comes down on top of the snorkel to seal things up must let at least a little bit of air by, especially as it ages over time. Mainly I like the look of having the snorkel sealed to the radiator cover.

I'm currently playing around with an extension made of flexible brake duct tubing that runs from the inside of the front grill, up through the bottom of the radiator cover. The S-shape bend to it isn't ideal, so a FQ400 hole that allows a straighter path from the nose to the snorkel would be preferred.

Last edited by TrailBrake; 10-25-2012 at 10:24 PM.
Old 10-26-2012, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailBrake View Post
True, but I'm thinking that strip of weather stripping under the hood that comes down on top of the snorkel to seal things up must let at least a little bit of air by, especially as it ages over time. Mainly I like the look of having the snorkel sealed to the radiator cover.
Keep in mind that air is being "sucked" in from the engine and not "forced" in from the outside world. This whole concept isn't an idea to cram more air in. It is to let the intake suck in COOLER air that hasn't blown across, or in close proximity to the radiator. That weather stripping not sealing would have zero effect, as the cooler air is going to take the path of least resistance. And at that point, the path of least resistance for the cooler, outside air, is directly into the vacuum created by the snorkel. Hope that makes sense.

Last edited by Drew; 10-26-2012 at 06:17 AM.
Old 10-26-2012, 09:22 AM

Send a message via AIM to OherrOderr

I'm in on these

I had the intake air duct on my Z too
- Ultimate Racing Lower Intercooler Pipe
- Buschur Racing Catback Exhaust
- Enkei NT03+M
- Tein S Tech