ClubRalliart.com Your ad here
Old 08-21-2009, 08:11 PM

Default Gravel Mode in Rain (Scenario)

I was wondering since some other forums recommend the gravel mode for wet roadways and rain with EVo X.

Would it wear out the engine if you started strictly using "grave" for all rain use as opposed to "tarmac"

or is it really to be used for offroad and gravel only?
Old 08-23-2009, 12:06 AM

I really don't see why it would hurt anything to run gravel whenever it is raining. I don't think that Mitsubishi would give drivers that much control over something that could potentially damage the vehicle.
Old 08-23-2009, 03:12 PM

It still would be nice if they added a "rain" mode for better wording even if it had same properties as gravel
Old 08-28-2009, 10:05 AM
Super Moderator

Gravel mode is also used for rain, you can switch any AWD mode (Tarmac, Gravel, Snow) & Normal to Sport TC-SST while you're driving.
I wonder if Mike @ RRE will come up with bulletproof drivetrain.

Last edited by MTZL; 08-28-2009 at 10:17 AM.
Old 08-28-2009, 10:54 AM

Any ACD mode can be done on the fly and won't hurt the drivetrain at all no matter the environment.

It changes the software strategy for the lockup rate of the center diff, and the torque split is always 50/50
Old 08-31-2009, 10:18 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Any ACD mode can be done on the fly and won't hurt the drivetrain at all no matter the environment.

It changes the software strategy for the lockup rate of the center diff, and the torque split is always 50/50
Lock up rate? Details Please on difference between the Tarmac, Gravel, & Snow modes..

Torque is always 50/50? hmm...
Old 09-02-2009, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan@gst View Post

Interesting. I knew about the software strategy changing, but thought it would also change the torque split to be biased more towards the front?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTZL View Post
Lock up rate? Details Please on difference between the Tarmac, Gravel, & Snow modes..

Torque is always 50/50? hmm...
Locking the differential (diff) would likely be explained better by brian, but I'll try my best. Basically, the diff wont lock until the inside tire(s) start to lose grip. That being said, in rain tires will lose traction sooner than on dry pavement. Therefore, the ACD will have to engage locking the diff sooner to keep power distributed properly.
Old 09-04-2009, 10:51 PM

I looked it up in my owners manual today, it says for Gravel mode "Use this control mode when driving on somewhat slippery road surfaces, such as wet road surfaces and gravel roads."
Old 09-04-2009, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlackBeast View Post
Interesting. I knew about the software strategy changing, but thought it would also change the torque split to be biased more towards the front?

Locking the differential (diff) would likely be explained better by brian, but I'll try my best. Basically, the diff wont lock until the inside tire(s) start to lose grip. That being said, in rain tires will lose traction sooner than on dry pavement. Therefore, the ACD will have to engage locking the diff sooner to keep power distributed properly.
Evo is 50/50, 24/7, 365, always

ACD modes only change the limited-slip properties of the center diff.

" Active Centre Differential

Using sensors, ACD regulates slippage in the 50:50 torque-split diff from free to lock-up according to speed and load. So under hard acceleration the ACD moves towards lock-up to put more torque down on the road for stronger traction, but with rapid steering inputs it operates virtually like an open differential to improve steering feel and response.

A choice of three setting - tarmac, gravel and snow - operated manually, gradually lock up the Active Centre Differential depending on road conditions."
Old 09-06-2009, 12:41 AM

All I know about gravel mode in the rain is my experience using it in the POURING rain one night. It was a blast to drive this car around corners, it sticks very well, this was with the skid control OFF btw.. i wanted to see how far i could push the car before it would get squirrly and that point was much further than i expected.... I would have to say compared to my '03 Evo with some expensive coilovers and set-up by Robispec for track use ... the Ralliart would give the 03 a run for its money.