ClubRalliart.com Your ad here
Old 04-28-2014, 12:50 PM

Question sst filter

I'm wondering if this is a good purchase:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/200852486935?lpid=82

Its just the filter for the transmission but it seems to be much cheaper than pretty much everywhere else. Also, is there a cheaper way to get the fluid too?

Build thread
Old 04-28-2014, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jguitarz View Post
I'm wondering if this is a good purchase:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/200852486935?lpid=82

Its just the filter for the transmission but it seems to be much cheaper than pretty much everywhere else. Also, is there a cheaper way to get the fluid too?
I would buy the paper filter from SSP.
http://www.sspperformance.com/evo-x-...st-filter.html

For fluid it depends if you want to go with OEM or try an alternative one. Fredbeansparts has the OEM fluid for a decent price. Remember you will need to buy two of these canisters:
http://www.fredbeansparts.com/mitsub...tion-x-mr.html
Old 04-28-2014, 02:24 PM

South Side Performance also sells the aluminium filter which is a great long term investment.

http://www.sspperformance.com/evo-x-...on-filter.html
Ultimate Racing TBE
Ultimate Racing U/LICP
Grimmspeed EBC
Tuned by Kaizen
Old 04-28-2014, 10:57 PM

Or http://kozmicmotorsports.com/product...cement-filter/
RA - Built head - Built SST - ID1000cc - GTX3576R - GSC S2 cams - GSC beehives/Ti retainers - Timing Chain kit - ARP head studs - AMS fuel rail - AMS Widemouth dp - TurboXS exhaust - DrivenFab oil catch can - MAP oil pan - MAP cast manifold - AEM wideband - COBB 3 port EBCS - Tial QRJ - Sakura 3.5 intake - Kozmic Walbro 450 fuel pump - Depo Racing fmic/licp - TS engine/exhaust mounts - Cusco bar - D2 RS coil - Megan Racing control arms/toe - Whiteline sway bars - Brembo 6 piston

Tuned by TJ
Old 04-29-2014, 06:55 AM

excellent! This is gonna save me a buncha money

Build thread
Old 04-29-2014, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiser1991 View Post
South Side Performance also sells the aluminium filter which is a great long term investment.

http://www.sspperformance.com/evo-x-...on-filter.html
It's posts like this that get me mad. You have only 28 posts on this site and you are making suggestions and posting links.

Go use Google and do some research before posting something that a new owner might follow without question because this site is known for good info and end up doing some damage to their pride and joy.

The SSP reusable filter is only filtering at 100 micron versus the 25-35 range for the stock oem or Dodson paper filter. This means that particles 3-4 times the size caught by the simple oem paper filter will simply flow through the SSP filter back into the transmission and end up continuing to accelerate wear in your transmission.

Stick with the paper filter and the Diaqeen FL-1 factory fluid and simply do a Trans fluid and filter change once a year, maybe sooner if you race your car etc..

I apologize as I don't mean to sound mean or know it all, but the info has already been put here and on many other similar sites. It's your car and your fine to do what you want to your vehicle. But if you are going to suggest people do things that will be worse than the oem solution already in place or modify or disable things meant to protect you , your car and others. Then at least give them all the information so they can make their own decision as to the pros and cons.

End Old Man Rant!

P.S I would never use the SSP Trans filter in my car as I intend on keeping it for a long time.
Old 04-30-2014, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal View Post
Stick with the paper filter and the Diaqeen FL-1 factory fluid and simply do a Trans fluid and filter change once a year, maybe sooner if you race your car etc..
Nail hit squarely on the head once again Jackal!

As another 'old man' on here, I appreciate your directness

Both paper filters and Diaqueen can be obtained for far less than the dealer list price if one is resourceful. Using anything less is compromising your equipment.

Last edited by TrailBrake; 04-30-2014 at 07:07 AM.
Old 04-30-2014, 07:41 AM

I get what you're trying to say, Jackal. But throwing around total post numbers to judge a person's knowledge or contribution is just wrong. If you disagree with the product recommended, state your reasons as you did in the second half of your post. The first half is unnecessary.

We're all adults here and everyone is responsible for their own modding decisions. I'm glad there's options out there and I honestly wouldn't have known about the steel filter until Kaiser posted it. The responsibility to research and decide if I would use it is all on me.
Old 04-30-2014, 12:29 PM

Fully agree with Grilla... Jackal is not the know-all of Ralliart. My lack of posting does not equate to a lack of experience or knowledge of the car, powertrain, or drivetrain.

He sent me this PM:

"You need to stop commenting on other people and worry more about yourself young man.

I am a moody old grandpa that has been building engines and cars for almost 30 years now. The only time I ever post in threads like that is to try and stop these new kids on the block by from making stupid mistakes that will ruin the whole experience.

When you have at least a decade of automotive mechanical achievements under your belt in a professional shop or hands on experience racing in a sanctioned motorsport let me know. You haven't even been here 6 months and only 102 posts.

If you can't see that I am simply frustrated by the extreme laziness of today's generation I apologize. But it makes me sick to my stomach every time I see some poor kid do something stupid to his pride and joy because he could not be bothered to take the time and do the research.

I will take a hiatus from posting for a while as it was not my intention to come off as negative or arrogant but, it is what it is. I am was trying to help them not offend them."

I chose not to reply as I am not a "young man" and am rather experienced with auto mechanics on the sport level and mechanical level, and did not want to fight with a "grumpy old man".

But I am tired of seeing Jackal speak out like he wrote the Ralliart bible, so I am posting this.

Last edited by ROMITON1; 04-30-2014 at 12:32 PM.
Old 04-30-2014, 05:13 PM

Enough is enough all ready! It's nothing to do with me or what I know. It is about protecting and educating our fellow Ralliart owners as so what works and doesn't work and why so we don't keep having people try to re invent the wheel.

Why is it when one of these posts show up, most of the time nobody responds or challenges the information even though you know this is something you would never do to your own car. Spread the love not the negative vibe.

All I am asking is when you see a thread making suggestions that could cause a problem, be dangerous or do damage, then say something.

Get off your high horse and get over your butt hurt and let's help each other by protecting each other. I really would like to see most of you stick around and want to see what you are going to do to your car to make it unique.

Romiton1 I am surprised by your lack of tack and your personal attack on myself to even go so far as to include a Private Message on an open Forum. You seemed very comfortable doing this and I would guess this is something you have done previously to other people because your little ego got bruised. But it's funny you don't feel comfortable posting exactly what your experience is, how many years or what credentials you hold or even how it pertains to this specific car.

I will continue to be here as a watch dog barking out my advise as I see fit to help and protect people from themselves if necessary. I am sorry you don't agree.

Let's just end this and get back on topic.

Tags
sst filter