ClubRalliart.com Your ad here

Go Back   ClubRalliart.com > 2009+ Lancer Ralliart Forums > 2009+ Lancer Ralliart Drivetrain
Home Forums Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-04-2008, 09:33 AM
Administrator

Default The TC-SST transmission gets tested!

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/12/01/m...g-with-405-hp/

According to the article linked above the Mitsubishi, "twin-clutch SST gearbox – can't handle more than 331 lb.-ft. of torque". On the TTP Engineering's dyno they found that approximately 270 lb.-ft. of torque was the limit before the torque protection kicked in. Eric Jones from AMS added that the, "torque number dynos spit out is an estimated crank torque number, not wheel, because horsepower is measured at the wheels. The torque is an estimated number that the engine produces before drivetrain loss based on the horsepower reading and rpms". So that begs the question, what is the real world limit for these transmissions?

According to Getrag it's approximately 350 lb.-ft. of torque. Can the torque protection be overcome through modifications to the programming of the TC-SST processor? Time and more testing will tell.
Old 12-05-2008, 03:13 PM

On my Dynapack DP6000 dyno the torque is directly and quite accurately measured at _each_ axle. HP is then calculated based on RPM. I think the bloggers have things cornfused a bit.

By measuring torque directly at the wheels you will of course be estimating torque applied directly to the transmission. But that is pretty easy by looking at the numbers from a stock car. You compare the dyno numbers from what ever dyno you are using and the manufacture's numbers and you have your difference. Done.

When tuning by directly flashing the ECU you have access to all the torque limiting tables. As you raise the power you also raise the boost limits and torque and air flow limits. If you are tuning with gadgets that try to fool the ECU by limiting the boost pressure the ECU sees, you can hit these limits in certain conditions.

On the EVO X MRs I have tuned, at the request of the owners we kept the peak torque low by limiting boost till about 4,500 rpm. HP can still be well into the 300s while keeping torque to 300 at the wheels.

I also suspect that Mitsubishi and Getrag are keeping numbers conservative to keep everyone properly scared to help limit their warranty exposure. I would do the same thing if I were them :-P

Mike W
Old 12-05-2008, 07:13 PM
Administrator

Thanks for chiming in Mike. Did you get a Ralliart yet?
Old 11-09-2010, 09:10 AM

I'm resurrecting an old thread. Along the lines of what the sst can hold, have there been any revisions to sst in the MR or RA since it was introduced in 2008?
Old 11-09-2010, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonieGT View Post
I'm resurrecting an old thread. Along the lines of what the sst can hold, have there been any revisions to sst in the MR or RA since it was introduced in 2008?
Check it out yo!

http://www.sspperformance.com/produc...Path=33_39_110