ClubRalliart.com Your ad here

Go Back   ClubRalliart.com > 2009+ Lancer Ralliart Forums > 2009+ Lancer Ralliart Drivetrain
Home Forums Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-2011, 05:59 AM

Default drivers side undertray all greassy

Is there a common leak form the trans on these cars, went to do an oil change yesterday and noticed that from the center of the car all the way to the drivers side by the wheel is all greasy like someone rubbed oil all over it. I have not noticed any puddles under the car but i want to get the car to the dealer just to make sure, unfortunately though the soonest they can is monday

also what color is the trans fluid in these cars is it a golden brown like oil?

thanks,
kevin
Old 07-13-2011, 07:36 AM

yeah the trans fluid is that color, but then again if your engine oil is new, its that color too, maybe loose filter?

Smoked Lights, Vortex Generator, Red Mitsu Logos, XXR 522 18x9.5 et38, Falken fk452 235/40/18, Rally Armor Mudflaps, UR Cat Back, UR High Flow Cat, UR Downpipe, Ur UICP, AMS Intercooler, Defi Racer Boost Gauge, Defi Racer Oil Temperature Gauge, Eibach Sportlines, Rexpeed CF Hood Dampers, Rexpeed A-Pillar Gauge Pod, Rexpeed CF Duckbill Lip Spoiler
Old 07-13-2011, 08:16 AM

Does the trans have an external filter or is it in the pan? The oil filter looked fine and did not appear to be leaking but then was no oil that side of engine it was all toward the trans.
Old 07-13-2011, 09:53 AM
Super Moderator

This pic is from when I changed & upgraded my SST cooler to SST coolers
Yes, it does have a filter. Fluid is golden/brownish black
(Neon Green Brand New)

The filter sit behind the driver side wheel (LHD RA) circled in red.

I would check your drain plugs for sst, mine was loose when I changed the SST fluid.
Torque spec is 19lbs.

I would take it back to the dealer if you're still under warranty.

Last edited by MTZL; 07-13-2011 at 10:11 AM.
Old 07-13-2011, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTZL View Post
I would check your drain plugs for sst, mine was loose when I changed the SST fluid.
Torque spec is 19lbs.

I would take it back to the dealer if you're still under warranty.
Thanks sir i am gonna check both of those things to see if there is any leaks coming from that. I will be going to the dealership to have it looked at and if it is worst have them fix it as it is still under warrenty. But i want to check it out tonight as i don't fully trust them when i called them today they said it was normal and that they spray the whole bottom of the car including plastic parts with a oil for protection
Old 07-13-2011, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by susafuss View Post
Thanks sir i am gonna check both of those things to see if there is any leaks coming from that. I will be going to the dealership to have it looked at and if it is worst have them fix it as it is still under warrenty. But i want to check it out tonight as i don't fully trust them when i called them today they said it was normal and that they spray the whole bottom of the car including plastic parts with a oil for protection
Spray the bottom of the car with oil?? You're joking, right?

just regarding the leaks, I had a major oil leak problem for a few months in the same place (left side of car). Took it in 3 times and had the engine oil pan resealed each time and every time they said they'd nailed it. When I finally looked at it myself I found the oil filter and engine oil pressure switch loose. tightened both and the leak went away.
Old 07-13-2011, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highcaliber View Post
Spray the bottom of the car with oil?? You're joking, right?

just regarding the leaks, I had a major oil leak problem for a few months in the same place (left side of car). Took it in 3 times and had the engine oil pan resealed each time and every time they said they'd nailed it. When I finally looked at it myself I found the oil filter and engine oil pressure switch loose. tightened both and the leak went away.
I shit you not that is what the guy said! On the phone i paused and was like wow really lol?

Ok i will look into that to, though i don't think it is an engine oil leak as i still was in the good on oil.
Old 07-14-2011, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by susafuss View Post
I shit you not that is what the guy said! On the phone i paused and was like wow really lol?

Ok i will look into that to, though i don't think it is an engine oil leak as i still was in the good on oil.
Far out, man.

Yeah, if your engine oil is good, I'd look at the trans. trans cooler is on that side. Maybe a transmission cooler line or a fitting on one of the lines that it loose? Try pulling out your left side fog light and looking round in there with a flashlight, or get it up on ramps (easier than jackstands) and drop the plastic undertray where it bolts to the underneath of the bumper. chances are you'll get a good idea of where it's coming from.
Old 07-14-2011, 08:34 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to BravoZero

Quote:
Originally Posted by highcaliber View Post
Far out, man.

Yeah, if your engine oil is good, I'd look at the trans. trans cooler is on that side. Maybe a transmission cooler line or a fitting on one of the lines that it loose? Try pulling out your left side fog light and looking round in there with a flashlight, or get it up on ramps (easier than jackstands) and drop the plastic undertray where it bolts to the underneath of the bumper. chances are you'll get a good idea of where it's coming from.
Better yet, clean up whatever oils or grease is laying on the tray and see if it reoccurs, maybe something just spilled accidentally during maintenance. If it does come back, then you'll know you have a definite leak.
Old 07-15-2011, 12:50 AM
Super Moderator

Take the whole bottom under panel off.
You should be able to see where it is leaking from.

Get some degreaser (brake cleaner should work), spray the area where you see oil to clean/rinse it off.
Leave the panel off, turn the car on check for leaks. If you dont see any leak, take a short drive & check again to see if you can locate the leak & take a pic, post it on here or evom, somebody should be able to help you further.