ClubRalliart.com Your ad here

Go Back   ClubRalliart.com > 2009+ Lancer Ralliart Forums > 2009+ Lancer Ralliart Show and Shine
Home Forums Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-04-2011, 10:27 PM

Another Update: I will keep it short, finally after 2 years of planning I got a chance to get my car to a dragstrip. As we all know our car is a 14 point something car stock. I was able to do 20 runs down the 1/4 mile my first time at the track and I pulled off a best of 13.2 .
I had several other runs at 13.4 but most were 13.5 to 13.7 on average. I am sure most of you have read this thread so you know I am completely stock turbo,engine and trans. Main mods were UR exhaust, used Evo X IC and UR IC pipes and HKS BOV so nothing special I guess.

I was fully loaded no weight reduction at all, but a lot of added weight for all the dynamat all through the car all the speaker upgrades, Modules,Capacitors,cross overs,heavy 4 guage wiring fuses etc.. and all the MDF for the custom speaker and amp enclosures etc. I would have to say easily 60 to 80 pounds and the fact I weight in at 265 lbs right now did not help. Thinking about trying to find a weigh scale to find out how much my car weighs as is right now.

I will post pics and timeslips etc later in the week when I get a chance I have been up since 5:30 a.m and it's midnight here now so time to crash. Bottom line is I was shooting for 13.7 and ended up a half second faster as my best time is now 13.2. Besides you guys are gonna kill yourself laughing at my grandpa reaction times LOL !
Old 07-14-2011, 10:31 PM

Just another update: I have already replaced my bas stock deck once under warranty because of intermitant sound when playing from CD. One side would cut out and not always the same side but when you switch to Radio everything would sound great again. So I am having the same issue again but only sometimes but I know it will get worse as time goes one. So just to be on the safe side I pulled my deck and checked all the wiring from the deck to the Re que and the RCA cables back to the 2 amps and everythin was solid.
Here is a quick pic since I had it all apart.

Old 07-15-2011, 01:45 AM
Super Moderator

I like that Blue three diamond.
Make sure you dont have any model with skirt covering the sexy blue emblem
or they would have to hike it up.

Great 1/4 mile time Jack!
You're faster than me.

I hate wiring problems...best of luck to you...

Last edited by MTZL; 07-17-2011 at 11:34 PM.
Old 07-24-2011, 09:33 AM

Another update and here is the story. I bought the Evo X bezel to install and let's just say it turned into a 12 hr project day. The front end was off in 15 minutes but after removing the crash beam and finding out it was an engineered double boxed beam with only about an inch or so in between boxed section and after trying to cut out a big enough piece with a 5 inch grinder that I used up 4 grinding discs and my dremal which I used up 13 disks and spent hours on it to no avail. I contacted an old college buddy I took mechanics with back in 1990 and took with piece out to his farm just outside the city. He then got out his oxy torch and cut the whole thing out in 6 minutes. My advice to anyone doing this mod is to simply take the beam to a shop or a friend who has access to a cutting torch and have them cut out the entire section of the inside leaving only the metal making up the bottom plate and the top plate.

I had my friend leave about a 1/2 inch at the top and bottom. big mistake. Lets just say I end up putting my crash beam and front end on and off about 4 times each during the process only to find something was still visable through the new slots. So back to the grinder to cut away that 1/2 inch on top and bottom check fitment again on car put skin on again to verify then take it all off again to paint beam and foam piece after cutting it out using beam cutouts as reference.

Another thing is once you have the front end skin cut out and bezel installed you need to silicone in place and put front end facing down on something clean I used microfiber sheet over stacks of tires then put a 2x6 board across tires lined up with center of bezal make sure you put micro fibre cloth on 2x6 then use some weight. I used 4 litre container of anti freeze to apply pressure on bezel through to 2x6 while silicone set up. The little plates that come with the bezel only hold the ends so the center tends to pop forward a 1/4 inch in the middle. Apart from the extra time it took to realize a grinder and dremal tool just would not get the job done and a little trip out to the country to finish that task well not quite and the extra time waiting for paint to dry , silicone to set up it wasn't too bad.

I learned a lot and overall I had a great day and had a buddy I usually go crusing with give me a hand. You can do this project by yourself it's just a lot easier having someone help you out. I am glad I waited and bought Drew's custom bezel instead of buying some pc of crap off ebay. I used red and yellow electrical tape behind the ralli art slits in the piece, don't know how long it will last , but I love the look. Hope you will too!

P/S Also primed and painted trim ring, did not take my time due to it being windy and rainy off and on the whole day.

Now for a few pics.

Will post more pics when my buddy sends me the pics off his phone, I did almost all the work he took almost all the pics so hopefully I will get them soon. I know the grinder marks ar all crooked but once it starts cutting you cant see anything and the solid steel boxed sections also run front to back behind the front skin and when you hit it , it defects the grinder because it wants to take the path of least resistance or in this case less steel. LOL !

Last edited by Jackal; 08-23-2014 at 06:12 PM.
Old 07-24-2011, 12:14 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to BravoZero

Looks great! Not a big fan of the Ralliart logo in the middle but that's just preference. Definitely worth it, you can see the intercooler right through the holes.
Old 07-24-2011, 05:25 PM

looks sick.. just black out those new holes u got there... ..
Old 07-24-2011, 08:18 PM
Super Moderator

I was going to use red & amber reflectors
or
red & amber led which are illegal
so I was thinking I run a switch.

After that Im going to remove the badge thats blocking the intake vent.
Old 07-24-2011, 08:39 PM

The spray paint I bought for touching up / refreshing OEM Black plastic bumpers worked great on the trim ring and matched the rest of the front end perfectly. I also used a heavy coating of wet/dry sandable primer before the black and used scotch bright before and after the primer coat so the 3 layers of black paint is pretty think and seems to have bonded well. I got a lot of looks tonight while out cruising. People were yelling at me from other moving cars.
Old 07-24-2011, 09:14 PM
Super Moderator

Maybe they were yelling at you to slow down? lol.

Thanks for the heads-up on cutting the crash beam.

imo, I would look to color match the red & yellow to RA red & amber(Orange).
It looks great & it is fast.
Old 07-24-2011, 09:46 PM

Sorry but I only had red and Yellow electrical tape LOL ! oh well here are a couple more pics. No actually they were yelling nice car Dude, whats under the hood, and the usual is that an Evo?. I like your car man and my favorite one man your car looks sick!
I feel like that guy from the Dodge commercial That thing got a Hemi?

And now back to the pics.

In the above photo we then had to use the 5 inch grinder to remove the last 1/2 inch of metal along the top of the 2 openings.

In the above photo we then had to completely remove the styrafoam above the 2 openings to match the new bigger openings in the crashbeam behind it.

Last edited by Jackal; 08-23-2014 at 06:19 PM.