ClubRalliart.com Your ad here
Old 02-18-2011, 10:33 PM

Default Fender Rolling

I went in the other day to get my rear fenders rolled and ran into a problem. It seems as though on the metal lip that gets rolled there is a small strip of plastic or rubber mitsubishi decided to stick onto the metal (i guess so the metal lip on the fender doesn't shred the tire if it were to hit it), and then paint over both. When they started to roll, the paint splintered and chipped because the plastic piece separated from the metal. I put a stop to the roll immediately and had them seal up the chipped paint so that i wouldn't get salt and shit in it on the way home. so now I'm thinking the best way to do this is to remove the plastic/rubber piece entirely, roll the render, and then painting the unpainted spot left from the removed plastic piece.

Im just wondering if all ralliarts have this piece and if anyone else has experienced this problem before. what did you guys do about it?

Smoked Lights, Vortex Generator, Red Mitsu Logos, XXR 522 18x9.5 et38, Falken fk452 235/40/18, Rally Armor Mudflaps, UR Cat Back, UR High Flow Cat, UR Downpipe, Ur UICP, AMS Intercooler, Defi Racer Boost Gauge, Defi Racer Oil Temperature Gauge, Eibach Sportlines, Rexpeed CF Hood Dampers, Rexpeed A-Pillar Gauge Pod, Rexpeed CF Duckbill Lip Spoiler
Old 02-19-2011, 06:14 AM

Gonna need pics here...

Mike W
Old 02-19-2011, 07:44 AM

This has already been covered, check Blaze's Sportback thread they showed how they did it step by step with pics. They had to use a knife to cut that plastic/ rubber piece off. If you use a grinder or wire brush you will just melt and spray melted plastic/rubber crap all over the place. I believe you also had to snip the metal lip at the beginning and end of the opening then treated the metal with a metal prep and black primer or sealer to guard against rust etc.. Just go read his thread. I will see if I can find it and post a link.
Old 02-19-2011, 07:47 AM

http://clubralliart.com/showthread.p...ighlight=Blaze

Here is the link, the fender rolling is covered on the first page of the thread.
Old 02-19-2011, 09:17 AM

thanks jackal! just what i was looking for. thats what i thought was needed to be done. after i peel the trim piece off and roll the fenders, is plastidip with a clear coat overtop sufficient enough to seal the exposed metal. i read that its chip proof and verrrrrrry strong

Smoked Lights, Vortex Generator, Red Mitsu Logos, XXR 522 18x9.5 et38, Falken fk452 235/40/18, Rally Armor Mudflaps, UR Cat Back, UR High Flow Cat, UR Downpipe, Ur UICP, AMS Intercooler, Defi Racer Boost Gauge, Defi Racer Oil Temperature Gauge, Eibach Sportlines, Rexpeed CF Hood Dampers, Rexpeed A-Pillar Gauge Pod, Rexpeed CF Duckbill Lip Spoiler
Old 02-19-2011, 06:34 PM

Personally I would ask advice from the bodyshop that is doing the work. They are the experts and should know what products best protect in your particular climate.
Because my climate is so extreme where we can go from -35 C to plus 35 C in only a few months. I would tape/mask off the fenders to protect the painted surfaces and use a brush and paint the metal lip that got rolled with rust proofing type primer then go get your wheel wells undercoated and rock guarded. It will add years of protection against rust and rocks be thrown around in there.
Old 02-21-2011, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal View Post
Personally I would ask advice from the bodyshop that is doing the work. They are the experts and should know what products best protect in your particular climate.
Because my climate is so extreme where we can go from -35 C to plus 35 C in only a few months. I would tape/mask off the fenders to protect the painted surfaces and use a brush and paint the metal lip that got rolled with rust proofing type primer then go get your wheel wells undercoated and rock guarded. It will add years of protection against rust and rocks be thrown around in there.
For the most part Jackal is right but there isnt such thing as a rust proofing primer what youll need is a primer sealer not a sanding primer and make sure you read the instrustions on the the waiting period between coats and once you have done that then it would be a great idea to undercoat it. Just my two cents. Please put up some pics I have a feeling ill be doing mine soon as well.
Old 02-21-2011, 05:10 PM

Yeah I couldn't remember the exact name of the primer, I think it had a lot of Zinc or copper or something in it. It had a reddish brown colour to it. Chances are I will have to do at least my back wheel wells once I have my Evo X wheels on this summer.
Old 03-26-2011, 08:55 PM

Man oh man I should of rolled the fenders before putting on the Evo X rims. I just made rubber string cheese out of my tires. Pick up my son and two of his friends from the movie theatre last night. With the extra 450 pounds with the 3 17 year olds in the car and going over some potholes and railway tracks etc.. there was a whole lot of scrapping going on. then the flap flap flap noise as the strips of rubber hanging off the tire was hitting the top of the wheelwell on every rotation. I have been unsucessful in my attempt to find a bodyshop willing to take on fender rolling. I may have to take a deep breathe and do it my self.
Old 03-27-2011, 10:12 AM
Super Moderator

Hey Jack, I can roll fenders but too bad you are in Canada.