ClubRalliart.com Your ad here

Go Back   ClubRalliart.com > 2009+ Lancer Ralliart Forums > 2009+ Lancer Ralliart Tech Talk and Power Mods
Home Forums Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-18-2009, 06:46 PM
Administrator

Great work Mike! Bolt up an Evo X turbo on it next time and lets kick some Evo tail on the course!

See ya at MOD.
Old 06-20-2009, 05:23 PM

I'm surprised that the drop in filters didn't flow better. Would a tune + drop in make any difference here?

Also, is this a case where a short ram might be the right choice? I wouldn't want one without a tune though.
Old 06-20-2009, 11:55 PM

The RalliArt is using the same stock filter which flows fine for well over 250 WHP on an EVO X. I think it just isnt the restriction holding things back on the RalliArt. This stock filter is huge. Trust me, I would have loved to sell you all drop in filters if I could have proved they made measureable power.

I wil be testing an Injen intake shortly.

Mike W
Old 06-21-2009, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeW-RRE View Post
The RalliArt is using the same stock filter which flows fine for well over 250 WHP on an EVO X. I think it just isnt the restriction holding things back on the RalliArt. This stock filter is huge. Trust me, I would have loved to sell you all drop in filters if I could have proved they made measureable power.

I wil be testing an Injen intake shortly.

Mike W
Yeah, that makes sense. So it looks as though the major power bottleneck for the RA is the turbo.
Old 06-22-2009, 06:37 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladogaboy View Post
Yeah, that makes sense. So it looks as though the major power bottleneck for the RA is the turbo.
I'm guessing since he replaced the lower intercooler hose and intercooler with the X intercooler, that that may be the restriction otherwise he'd have replaced the turbo first...maybe my logic is all wrong. Mike, please chime in, thanks.
Old 06-22-2009, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarGuy View Post
I'm guessing since he replaced the lower intercooler hose and intercooler with the X intercooler, that that may be the restriction otherwise he'd have replaced the turbo first...maybe my logic is all wrong. Mike, please chime in, thanks.
As I read it, the cars were otherwise bone stock (still with RA intercooler). It just happens that the RA and X share the same air box. Now, that's not to say that the RA IC isn't a bottleneck (I'm sure it probably is); however, a drop in filter should not precede the IC as an upgrade.

Personally, I'd rather just upgrade both the turbo and the IC at the same time. Just out of curiosity, does the X's IC piping not fit the RA only because of the RA's IC (and not because of where it connects to the turbo)?
Old 06-22-2009, 10:38 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladogaboy View Post
As I read it, the cars were otherwise bone stock (still with RA intercooler). It just happens that the RA and X share the same air box. Now, that's not to say that the RA IC isn't a bottleneck (I'm sure it probably is); however, a drop in filter should not precede the IC as an upgrade.

Personally, I'd rather just upgrade both the turbo and the IC at the same time. Just out of curiosity, does the X's IC piping not fit the RA only because of the RA's IC (and not because of where it connects to the turbo)?
The RA aixbox is different than the Evos although they are the same size filter. The RA has to deal with a battery under the hood where the Evos is in the trunk. Many parts are RA specific on this car. It's not just an Evo with less parts, it's a GTS with more! It shares more parts with the GTS than the Evo.
Old 06-25-2009, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarGuy View Post
The RA aixbox is different than the Evos although they are the same size filter. The RA has to deal with a battery under the hood where the Evos is in the trunk. Many parts are RA specific on this car. It's not just an Evo with less parts, it's a GTS with more! It shares more parts with the GTS than the Evo.
I see. I thought the airboxes were roughly the same. Either way, with the same size filter, I can't imagine that the airflow through either of the two boxes is that different.

In my experience up to this point, the stock airboxes have never been the bottleneck as far as airflow is concerned. Many people I know replaced their stock airboxes with short rams and CAI and did not actually see an increase in flow. For me, I would need proof that a short ram or CAI actually flows more than the stock airbox with a high-flow air filter before I would consider switching out. And even if the numbers did come back in favor of the short ram or CAI under ideal conditions, I would still need to weigh that advantage against the fact that the stock airbox pulls air from outside the engine bay, is more durable, and is less likely to suck in or be damaged by water and other obstructions.

That's just my two cents. If someone like Mike can convince me otherwise, then I might have to make a trek to Santa Fe Springs for a short ram sometime... but I'd rather save that trip for when I'm ready for modifications that will really make a difference in overall driveability and performance.