ClubRalliart.com Your ad here
Old 04-27-2013, 09:31 AM

Default Bike Rack question

As an avid mountain biker the Sportback seemed brilliant. But, now I'm realizing, it's not as big inside as I anticipated. So I spent a good 30+ minutes weaseling one of my bikes into the back, due to it's size and front wheel not being easily removable, and realized I don't want every bike ride to involve this much work. Plus it keeps the interior cleaner.

So, anyone have any advice on a good car top rack to affix a Thule bike carrier? Obviously I could just get a Thule rack, but I was wondering if there are better alternatives, heck cheaper alternatives? Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-27-2013, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rylinkus View Post
As an avid mountain biker the Sportback seemed brilliant. But, now I'm realizing, it's not as big inside as I anticipated. So I spent a good 30+ minutes weaseling one of my bikes into the back, due to it's size and front wheel not being easily removable, and realized I don't want every bike ride to involve this much work. Plus it keeps the interior cleaner.

So, anyone have any advice on a good car top rack to affix a Thule bike carrier? Obviously I could just get a Thule rack, but I was wondering if there are better alternatives, heck cheaper alternatives? Any input would be greatly appreciated.
I don't have a direct answer to your question, but I have solved the sportback bike puzzle. I have a downhill bike... you know, 8 inches of travel, dual crown fork, all the fun stuff, with wheels that don't come off (not QR), and I can get it in the car no problem as long as the seats are down.

The trick is to put the front wheel in first, lift the back wheel up and to the side. I put the drivetrain side down, so front wheel goes in first, I lift the back of the bike up and to the left, and simultaneously lay the bike horizontally while rolling the front wheel in. Turn the handlebar so the front wheel sits behind the front seat and in the foot gap, lay the back side down, pedal goes in the gap on the floor between the folded seat and back spare wheel cover, and it fits. Now I have it down to a 30 second load-in. Bag goes next to the back wheel, all good!

2010 rg sportback
Old 04-27-2013, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skills View Post
I don't have a direct answer to your question, but I have solved the sportback bike puzzle. I have a downhill bike... you know, 8 inches of travel, dual crown fork, all the fun stuff, with wheels that don't come off (not QR), and I can get it in the car no problem as long as the seats are down.

The trick is to put the front wheel in first, lift the back wheel up and to the side. I put the drivetrain side down, so front wheel goes in first, I lift the back of the bike up and to the left, and simultaneously lay the bike horizontally while rolling the front wheel in. Turn the handlebar so the front wheel sits behind the front seat and in the foot gap, lay the back side down, pedal goes in the gap on the floor between the folded seat and back spare wheel cover, and it fits. Now I have it down to a 30 second load-in. Bag goes next to the back wheel, all good!

I may take another shot at it. I was pretty dissapointed at how difficult it was to fit. Eventually I need racks anyways as I can't see the GF's bike and mine fitting well while stacked. But I'll take another shot. (BTW, Ironhorse 7point3 if you were curious)
Old 04-27-2013, 01:30 PM

Quote:
I may take another shot at it. I was pretty dissapointed at how difficult it was to fit. Eventually I need racks anyways as I can't see the GF's bike and mine fitting well while stacked. But I'll take another shot. (BTW, Ironhorse 7point3 if you were curious)
Word! Yeah you can fit anything in this thing, really. I used to have a nissan sentra.. fit two downhill bikes in there! As long as you figure out how to get the thing in there, it has plenty of interior space. I actually fit an entire couch in the sportback, along with a bunch of other crap. To be fair, it was from ikea... but nonetheless, an entire couch.

Nice, my buddy used to have an iron horse, those things are tanks. I'm riding a specialized big hit 3, some jackass stole my banshee chaparral. Loved that thing....

2010 rg sportback
Old 04-27-2013, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skills View Post
Word! Yeah you can fit anything in this thing, really. I used to have a nissan sentra.. fit two downhill bikes in there! As long as you figure out how to get the thing in there, it has plenty of interior space. I actually fit an entire couch in the sportback, along with a bunch of other crap. To be fair, it was from ikea... but nonetheless, an entire couch.

Nice, my buddy used to have an iron horse, those things are tanks. I'm riding a specialized big hit 3, some jackass stole my banshee chaparral. Loved that thing....
Love the big hit. Sick bike. Got a good friend with one. All DH bike. Can't drag that thing around at all, or maybe I'm old and fat. My 7.3 is more of an all mountain while leaning DH.
Old 04-27-2013, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Love the big hit. Sick bike. Got a good friend with one. All DH bike. Can't drag that thing around at all, or maybe I'm old and fat. My 7.3 is more of an all mountain while leaning DH.
Yeah, I hear ya. My chaparral was similar to the 7.3 setup wise, all mountain. I would much rather have an all mountain ride again... though the big hit sure kicks ass for DH!

2010 rg sportback
Old 04-28-2013, 09:36 AM

get an thule rack and for the bike mounts use rockymounts, the are fast and easy to load and unload my bike. plus they are low profile.

Last edited by neogeo64; 04-28-2013 at 06:19 PM.
Old 04-28-2013, 03:32 PM

^ nice rack! i was wondering if anyone has any experience with a roof rack over a roof wrapped in vinyl? will it mess up the vinyl?
Old 04-28-2013, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsralliart View Post
^ nice rack! i was wondering if anyone has any experience with a roof rack over a roof wrapped in vinyl? will it mess up the vinyl?
I think you would be fine on a sportback because the rubber feet simply rest on top with a threaded screw hole keeping everything secure.
On a sedan you don't have the screw hole up top and have to use metal claps in the door jams which may rub or tear vinyl if your using on the whole car. If it's just the roof your wrapping you should be fine.
Old 04-28-2013, 06:41 PM

Dig the rack, but def want something that doesn't require removing the front wheel. I don't feel like carrying 3 different allen wrenches.