ClubRalliart.com Your ad here
Old 01-20-2011, 12:06 AM

Default ralliart in cold

its been around -50 here for the last 2 weeks and ive let my ralliart warm up a good 20-30 min before going anywere ive noticed that everytime i turn it makes a loud cracking noise whatever way i turn the valves sound like there sticking now and the gas milage is horrible ive been gettin about 100km per tank anyone else havin issues in winter
Old 01-20-2011, 01:54 AM
Super Moderator

What Engine Oil are you using??? Viscosity?

If you're using standard 5w30 its not good below -20 C*,
you should be using 0w30 or 0w40 in very cold condition, below -20 C*.
Old 01-20-2011, 12:02 PM

Warming up the car not moving for 20-30 mins is actually the worse thing you can do. It takes longer to warm up and your mileage will suffer for sure.
Old 01-20-2011, 12:17 PM

Send a message via AIM to Mkid Send a message via MSN to Mkid Send a message via Yahoo to Mkid

Yeah, just keep it under 3k rpm until you get a reading from the oil temp display.

I also hear some creaking on cold days... and a cold day in Florida is only in the 30's F...
D2 RS Coilovers
Evo X FMIC
Ultimate Racing turbo-back
400HP clutches from Jack's
AEM Intake

My Car Thread

From Florida? Click here!
Old 01-20-2011, 04:50 PM

im using 5-30 and the tranny take forever to engage if i dont warm it up and wont shift even if in manual mode. gotta love thompson winters haha and the sound isnt creaking its a loud kind of grinding and squeel
Old 01-20-2011, 08:20 PM

Im in the same Province as you further south but not much warmer been doing outside camera installs at -31 to -42 with the windchill up in a bucket truck 20 plus feet off the ground its more like -50 in the open especially out in the country.

Yes the 0 W 30 is the way to go. Warm the car for 5- 10 minutes then with your foot on the brake slowly move shifter from park to reverse to Drive ect a couple times. This will warm up the engine, tranny and diff oil all at the same time without putting any real load on the drive train but gets the almost frozen super thick oil starting to move and start to warm up. Did you get a block heater installed? and do you park outside or do you have a garage?
Old 01-20-2011, 11:06 PM

im parkin outside for right now and its always plugged in lol
you down in winterpeg ?
Old 01-21-2011, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal View Post
Yes the 0 W 30 is the way to go. Warm the car for 5- 10 minutes then with your foot on the brake slowly move shifter from park to reverse to Drive ect a couple times. This will warm up the engine, tranny and diff oil all at the same time without putting any real load on the drive train but gets the almost frozen super thick oil starting to move and start to warm up. Did you get a block heater installed? and do you park outside or do you have a garage?
This is what I do ever since my SST had its fit. I usually let it idle for a minute or two before going through 2 cycles. (Park to Drive, back to park, down to Drive and Reverse to back out of the driveway; pausing at each for 3-5 seconds). Seems to do the job for the RA.

Though, the defroster for the front windshield is HORRID. Even with Rain-X latitudes, the windshield takes forever to de-ice. Thinking of getting it treated with something. Maybe splashing some additional antifreeze into the washer fluid.
Old 01-21-2011, 04:40 PM

Don't put antifreeze in your washer fluid, just use winter washer fluid. The stuff I get is either from Canadian Tire or Wal Mart and it will say good to -45 C or something similar. Engine antifreeze is sticky and believe it or not if not mixed 50/50 with water will actually freeze. You would not want that icky green stuff freezing in your narrow little washer fluid lines.
Old 01-21-2011, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan@gst View Post
Warming up the car not moving for 20-30 mins is actually the worse thing you can do. It takes longer to warm up and your mileage will suffer for sure.

I agree! Old habits are hard to break, but the only time I let my car seat a little is if I have to defrost the window from work. If its been in the garage I drive right away, I just make sure not to go into boost until everything warms up.