ClubRalliart.com Your ad here
Old 03-13-2013, 03:01 PM

Question buying my first rally art 2009

hello guys i am having a few questions about the rally art 09 am looking to buy one ,i like it looks sexy its turbo that's what i need but iv been reading online about the poor fuel economy on these cars and how they manage to only go up to 250km until you have to refill them again and that's if you drive nicely without pushing its limits. Are they really that bad on fuel economy? myself i get some of those days where i just wanna smash it and drive fast. i have also heard that rally art is only using high octane fuel here in Australia we call it 98 and that fuel is usually around 1.70$ per litter sometimes 1.60$ .and if you dont put 98 fuel then the car wont work properly ? i dont wanna get stuck with having the car loan and driving this car and spending all my money on fuel i am fully aware that this car is high performance car and that's probably one of the reasons why its fuel economy is poor. would you guys recommend this car and is there any ways to reduce its fuel usage with like mods and tunings ?

thank you
Old 03-13-2013, 03:44 PM

i avg 18-19 on streets and 23-25 on freeway
Old 03-13-2013, 03:52 PM

The short version: Yes, you do need high octane fuel and yes it will eat gas. To put it bluntly, if you are that concerned with fuel economy this is not the car for you. It's not impossible to get alright mileage, but I don't know anyone who gets "great" mileage.

I don't mean to scare you off here. The car is plenty of fun and there's not one day I regret buying this over similarly priced vehicles. Paying for the gas, however, happens to be one of those downsides you have to live with.
Old 03-13-2013, 04:17 PM

Hey Franky

I have an 09 RA, I'll get about 400km to a tank. Of course driving harder will increase you fuel usage.

I found engine tuning to be pretty effective in fuel saving, and it's super easy to do with these cars and cheap
Old 03-13-2013, 05:02 PM

fuel economy sucks. especially with a tune, well at least one that adds more power and is also supposed to be better under low load situations.

also if you're buying used, MAKE SURE YOU GET A WARRANTY.

My experience may just be my experience but with a power tune that gets an extra 1-2mpg better fuel economy highway evens out to being way worse if you're in stop and go. Sure on a completely level highway at 65mph the MPG will be better, but in normal suburban/urban driving it drops to like 12mpg with regular driving. I think there are tunes specifically for better MPG but I don't think they save much.

Also, my transmission blew this past week- If it's used, you never know what the other owner did to it! My warranty is paying for it, so I'm proof that the transmission can blow, and a warranty is very important.

The car definitely is too expensive for me at least... way too much gas, high octane... tires are expensive... but it is FUN!!! and that's why I'm not selling it

2010 rg sportback
Old 03-13-2013, 05:59 PM

thank you for the replays guys a lot of people say its fun to drive and that it goes fast ,i was gonna put the ultimate racist exhaust on it with turbo smart blow off valve and AMS inter cooler as well and possibly some transmission cooler as well as i heard it gets hot when u drive it "hard".
i think that there is this "special so called fuel efficient cooling called blue optimize "
it claims to this the following

Up to 20% improved fuel economy
Improved MPG- Reduced emissions (subject to Vehicle type)
Enhanced sharper throttle response
Smoother more progressive power delivery
Power and Torque improvements
Undetectable
http://www.viezu.com.au/blue_optimize.html

was thinking to go and do that
Old 03-13-2013, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by franky326 View Post
thank you for the replays guys a lot of people say its fun to drive and that it goes fast ,i was gonna put the ultimate racist exhaust on it with turbo smart blow off valve and AMS inter cooler as well and possibly some transmission cooler as well as i heard it gets hot when u drive it "hard".
i think that there is this "special so called fuel efficient cooling called blue optimize "

Undetectable

HUGE LOL @ "Blue Optimize"

20% looks real nice but think about it this way...

Say you get 25mpg on the highway. A 20% increase in that would be 30 mpg. However I have exhaust and intercooler along with an intake. These mods are supposed to save fuel, but end up just lowering my economy even more. I get MAYBE 25mpg on a good long trip using cruise control/super light throttle all the time.

Bottom line:

Even if you're "Driving Miss Daisy" around in a Ralliart, you're still gonna get crap fuel mileage. Just depends on what you're willing to sacrifice for the power and fun.
Evo X FMIC | MAP UICP | Evo X LICP | Evo X BPV | AEM Intake | AMS Boost Pill | GST Basemap Tuned by Razorlabs | RRM GRIP Springs | Oil Catch Tank | Agency Power Downpipe | Avid1 18x9 +35 Wheels | Project Kics R28 Lugs | AMS 3" Resonated Test Pipe | Ultimate Racing 3" Dual-Tip Catback | Zeitronix ZT-2 + ZR-2 Wideband/Boost gauge | Tomei Oil Cap | CF Engine Cover | CF Hood Struts | HKS Radiator Cap | Coming Soon: Evo X turbo upgrade
Old 03-13-2013, 06:27 PM

Please don't use that exhaust, especially if you have a white car.

Don't know about viezu thing. I think if you want to improve fuel economy getting an ECU reflash is the best way.

There's a lot of information around about what works with Ralliarts on this site, I would stick to what is known.

If fuel economy is a major concern for you and performance less so I would think of buying a different car. I know that fuel is expensive in Australia.

Quote:

Undetectable

Old 03-13-2013, 06:45 PM

hehe why u said dont get ultimate racing they seem to be pretty good and they sound sexy as well .what is ECU reflash? i think i read somewhere that you can do this mod for rallyart so it can use other lower end fuels not just the high octane in Australia fuel is soo expensive its crazy
Old 03-13-2013, 07:13 PM

lol, read my quote (your post) carefully.

Just to make it clear, there is nothing wrong with the Ultimate Racing exhaust.

ECU reflash is basically the process of how to tune your engine computer.
These cars don't require a chip or control unit to change the engine tune, you basically flash the file to the ECU and that's all it needs.

Don't try to use low octane fuel in the Ralliart. Please be aware when American and Canadians on this forum say "93 octane" it is actually the equivalent of 98 Octane fuel (BP ultimate, Shell V-power) in Australia.

You'll get better economy on high octane fuel, using low octane might be cheaper when you fill up, but you'll just end up back at the pump earlier.
The car will be able to use the fuel, but it will revert back to the safe "low octane fuel map" and you will not get the performance it should have, plus we have a hot and humid climate here so you want to keep your engine from blowing up.

Quote:
hehe why u said dont get ultimate racing they seem to be pretty good and they sound sexy as well .what is ECU reflash? i think i read somewhere that you can do this mod for rallyart so it can use other lower end fuels not just the high octane in Australia fuel is soo expensive its crazy