ClubRalliart.com Your ad here

Go Back   ClubRalliart.com > 2009+ Lancer Ralliart Forums > 2009+ Lancer Ralliart General
Home Forums Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2011, 07:24 PM

Default Best drop in?

hey guys, I'm thinking about going to a hi flow drop in filter but there are many to choose from. question is, does it matter which one i get?

i know hks, cosworth, k&n, works, are few of the companies that offer a drop in.

what are your guys experiences with drop in filters? whats the best.

i don't quite have money to pay for a tune afterwards, do people typically get tuned after installing them or is it safe to use it without a tune.

thanks guys.

EDIT:

upon further research on evom i found a couple facts:
- the k&n is good but it is oiled which is a turn off to some people. nevertheless seems to turn out some good gains
- the hks is the highest flowing, and best sounding, but it doesn't have a rubber gasket so some are worried about its seal
- the cosworth seems to be one of the better ones, least change in sound (turn off for some people)
- works is seemed to be liked, i don't know too much info on it though

EDIT 2:

HKS FILTER REVIEW ON PAGE 3

Last edited by Scarab23; 09-24-2011 at 09:20 PM.
Old 09-18-2011, 09:45 PM

Cosworth....hands down...

Phase 1
[X] Cosworth Drop-In
[X] UR Full Catback Exhaust
[X] UR Upper ICP
[X] UR Lower ICP
[X] Evo X FMIC
[X] Evo X BOV

Phase 2 - Breaks
Old 09-18-2011, 09:52 PM

Well more flow for sure versus stock paper filter and lower cost as you simply clean them yourself as necessary instead of having to buy a new filter a few times a year.

I don't really think there is a huge difference between brands that I am aware of, just buy a name brand one through a location familiar to you.

And finally no tune necessary for this simple but effective upgrade.
Old 09-19-2011, 05:01 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to BravoZero

I've used K&N filters in the past and have one in my RA currently. No issues here.
Old 09-19-2011, 06:12 AM

After using K&N on several vehicles for over 10 years, I can vouch for their quality and no issues with MAF when the filter is oiled correctly.

Recently I have been using an AFE filter in my RA, and found that is a little bit better than the K&N drop-in available for our cars. Superior filter construction, wider surface area and a tighter fit in the airbox.

Have a look at their site:
http://afepower.com/faq.php

It doesn't hurt that they offer free shipping as well
Old 09-19-2011, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalliNurse View Post
Cosworth....hands down...
do you have experiences with other filters or are you just saying that because its the one you have haha
Old 09-19-2011, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailBrake View Post
After using K&N on several vehicles for over 10 years, I can vouch for their quality and no issues with MAF when the filter is oiled correctly.

Recently I have been using an AFE filter in my RA, and found that is a little bit better than the K&N drop-in available for our cars. Superior filter construction, wider surface area and a tighter fit in the airbox.

Have a look at their site:
http://afepower.com/faq.php

It doesn't hurt that they offer free shipping as well
I'm for sure thinking k&n is one of my top choices but I'm just weary of an oil filter. I've hear stories on EvoM of bad experiences with oil filters

on a side note: has anyone tried the hks filter?
Old 09-19-2011, 07:24 AM

Any oiled filter can cause issues if oiled incorrectly. There are ways to minimize the risk (oil only the side of the filter away from the MAF, let it sit for a day to dry, etc.).

AFE have two filters for our vehicles, the Pro5S (oiled) and the Pro5R (dry). Both outflow OEM paper:

http://afepower.com/shop/details_new...0L&&brandID=59

Last edited by TrailBrake; 09-19-2011 at 07:28 AM.
Old 09-20-2011, 05:35 AM

Send a message via MSN to hackerrei Send a message via Yahoo to hackerrei
Wink YO

Hi I udes the Perrin panel in a few tests and after a drive I found there was a lake of oil in the box I even wrote perrin of the problem all they had to say was buy are filter cleaner and oil kit then clean off the oil and then add there oil lightly on the filter after it came ou the bag overly oiled.
So now I am testing the K&N on the EVO X every thing is running good but next I will try the HKS since the EVO X FQ 400 uses all HKS pipe and filters for air and oil and it make 400HP so can't be too bad if mitsu uses them on there fastest model of the EVO X in EURO.
The works is a little over priced but seems to put down the best numbers with out limiting dust filtering.

P.S. the above is just to show Mitsu uses the HKS and not that putting HKS filters and pipe kit will make your car have 400HP that car has other parts to make that power.
Or it might be the case of the cheapest bidder who knows why they use HKS on that car but it works pretty damn good.
Old 09-20-2011, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackerrei View Post
Hi I udes the Perrin panel in a few tests and after a drive I found there was a lake of oil in the box I even wrote perrin of the problem all they had to say was buy are filter cleaner and oil kit then clean off the oil and then add there oil lightly on the filter after it came ou the bag overly oiled.
So now I am testing the K&N on the EVO X every thing is running good but next I will try the HKS since the EVO X FQ 400 uses all HKS pipe and filters for air and oil and it make 400HP so can't be too bad if mitsu uses them on there fastest model of the EVO X in EURO.
The works is a little over priced but seems to put down the best numbers with out limiting dust filtering.

P.S. the above is just to show Mitsu uses the HKS and not that putting HKS filters and pipe kit will make your car have 400HP that car has other parts to make that power.
Or it might be the case of the cheapest bidder who knows why they use HKS on that car but it works pretty damn good.
I read somewhere that the FQ400 also uses a titanium turbo. Probably lighter and bigger than a stock Evo turbo.