ClubRalliart.com Your ad here
Old 09-20-2011, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab23 View Post
do you have experiences with other filters or are you just saying that because its the one you have haha
Damn...i got caught...lol...

Phase 1
[X] Cosworth Drop-In
[X] UR Full Catback Exhaust
[X] UR Upper ICP
[X] UR Lower ICP
[X] Evo X FMIC
[X] Evo X BOV

Phase 2 - Breaks
Old 09-21-2011, 07:14 AM

Send a message via AIM to Mkid Send a message via MSN to Mkid Send a message via Yahoo to Mkid

I'm running the HKS. It does really change the sound quite a lot which I like. It does look a bit flimsy though, but as long as you keep up with cleaning it/replacing it, I don't see you having any issues. Anything that is small enough to fit through it will probably just get disintegrated by the turbo. lol.

I'm running the Cobb Stage 1 which actually specifically tells you not to use any panel filter and the car still runs fine. No CELs or anything.

In short, if you care about sound, get the HKS. If you want to be extra safe, get the Cosworth. I don't think you will have problems with either though.
D2 RS Coilovers
Evo X FMIC
Ultimate Racing turbo-back
400HP clutches from Jack's
AEM Intake

My Car Thread

From Florida? Click here!
Old 09-21-2011, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkid View Post
I'm running the HKS. It does really change the sound quite a lot which I like. It does look a bit flimsy though, but as long as you keep up with cleaning it/replacing it, I don't see you having any issues. Anything that is small enough to fit through it will probably just get disintegrated by the turbo. lol.

I'm running the Cobb Stage 1 which actually specifically tells you not to use any panel filter and the car still runs fine. No CELs or anything.

In short, if you care about sound, get the HKS. If you want to be extra safe, get the Cosworth. I don't think you will have problems with either though.
yeah I'm actually running stage 2 on the AP which requires a turbo back only, but i also have an ams intercooler and ultimate racing piping in the setup too. it doesn't throw any lights or anything but i can feel the turbo lag a lot more now due to the increased size of the intercooler on the stock "pipet" turbo haha. My thoughts with the hi flow filter is that ill be able to spool a smidge quicker making up for some of the lag due to the addition of the AMS intercooler.
Old 09-21-2011, 08:47 AM

Send a message via AIM to Mkid Send a message via MSN to Mkid Send a message via Yahoo to Mkid

Honestly, I don't think it will make a difference you will notice but hey, they are cheap, so why not.
D2 RS Coilovers
Evo X FMIC
Ultimate Racing turbo-back
400HP clutches from Jack's
AEM Intake

My Car Thread

From Florida? Click here!
Old 09-22-2011, 08:54 AM

I have some concerns about the filtration ability of the HKS filter.
Old 09-22-2011, 09:09 AM

so i got the hks filter, its waiting in the shop for me to pick up on saturday. ill post my thoughts on it once i get it. i don't really have anything to compare it to other than stock but ill see what i can review.
Old 09-22-2011, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalliNurse View Post
Damn...i got caught...lol...
Heheh i recommend Cosworth too
Old 09-22-2011, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailBrake View Post
I have some concerns about the filtration ability of the HKS filter.
as for filtration, where i live and with the amount of driving i do, my filter doesn't really see a lot of dirt and debris. I've been running the stock filter for 24000 km and its as white as the day i bought it. no dirt whatsoever. Anything small enough to get through the 3 layers of foam on the hks filter is nothing that would harm then engine. the turbo would incinerate it.

What lots of people don't know is the hks has 3 layers of foam, each more dense than the last. upon initial impressions it does look like a cheap piece of single layer foam, but after you take the filter out (a feature the hks has) you can see there is more to it than meets the eye. Im not doubting the filter. many people run it, it seems to be the most popular overall for the ralliart and evo community so I'm no too worried. As i said above though, ill post my thoughts on it after I've had it in for a while.
Old 09-22-2011, 09:38 AM

Good to know. I have not seen a HKS filter in person, but it did look to be just a piece of foam from website pictures.
Old 09-22-2011, 09:40 AM
Super Moderator

I had this perrin foam filter awhile ago when I bought my evo x turbo.
The guy gave it to me with a original plastic bag dripping with oil.
I still have the foam filter, from marketing spec foam is better but from looking at it, idk, maybe after I degrease & re-oil lightly.

I will stick to OEM or K&N. No maf problem so far with K&N.
However, my K&N was hand-me-down. Since the corner of the plastic gotten so brittle it broke apart. It had small damage in that corner when it was given to me, time to buy a new one. (my guess was the guy just force the filter in/out)