ClubRalliart.com Your ad here

Go Back   ClubRalliart.com > 2009+ Lancer Ralliart Forums > 2009+ Lancer Ralliart General
Home Forums Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2009, 05:39 AM

Default Picking up my RA on Monday/ Questions?

Hello everyone. So I’m picking up a 2009 RA with 5k miles on it on Monday. Got a good deal from a local Mitsu dealership. Im really excited to pick it up, loved every second of the test drive but... I’m trading in one of my great loves in life, my 02 Mustang GT that ran very well and very fast for a long time. Looks like the crank finally couldn’t take the abuse anymore and I can’t put anymore $ into her. Getting a good deal on trade in. So my question to everyone is what’s your overall opinion of these cars? Anything good, bad I should know? Are the easy to work on? Do they respond well to Bolton’s? I’ve always been an American Muscle guy, but I can’t afford a new Stang GT and it's just not practical for me any more as a daily driver. Any feedback would be great.

Thank you,
Old 11-22-2009, 06:16 AM

I just got mine about 6 weeks ago. It's an awesome car, and I'm really happy I bought it. Took some getting used to the SST transmission (my last car was standard) but I like it now. To me, the best part of the car is the handling. If I were to say there was one thing I didn't like about the car, it would have to be the brakes. They're just not up to par on a car of this caliber. Other than that, no complaints.
Old 11-22-2009, 07:40 AM

After a few mods you'll be able to pull up to those 09-10 GT owners and smoke em. And the winters w/ snow are going to be safer. You'll love it.
Old 11-22-2009, 07:49 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPi9XQdknPY
Old 11-22-2009, 08:49 AM

Thanks for the quick replies guys. Yea, Im deff looking forward to the RA. It would take alot of mods for me to even come close to my 02GT. As it sits now its has a Vortech S trim on it making 425 to the wheels. Problem is that cant drive it daily and forget the bad weather. Plus it has about 35 to 40 passes at the track. Its time. Deff was an awesome car. But yea, I cant wait to rip into the RA. Gonna take some time for me to get use to trans though. Ill post some pics when I pick it up tomorrow. Also, whats the deal with modding these? Does a re flash have to be done for everything. Would like to at least change the exhaust on it. Any suggestions.

Thanks
Old 11-22-2009, 09:16 AM

Welcome aboard! I must say I never would have guessed a mustang owner to switch to an RA! Good choice!

From what I've seen from other members as well as my own experience, a proper tune for the parts installed will net the biggest gains. Since the RA is close to the evolution some parts are directly applicable - others not so much. You'll notice a thread elsewhere in forums talking about swapping turbos. Don't try and do that without a tune!

Otherwise I think you will love the car. My dad rented a new mustang on a trip recently and had nothing but gripes about the handling of it compared to my RA. I can confidently say I don't need to worry about convincing him to not buy a mustang. A stock suspension on the RA could use a little help IMO but otherwise it's great in stock trim.

Does it have any package upgrades already such as the Recaro or SSS?
Old 11-22-2009, 10:21 AM

Thanks for the info. I don’t think I'll be messing with the turbo at all. This will basically be a daily driver for me. As it sits now it has the recaro package, no nav (don’t need it anyway) Yea, to be honest I really wanted a 10 GT or the Challenger RT with a 6 speed. Way to expensive. I think my goal with the RA is going to be slight minor upgrades (exhaust maybe CAI) but I deff want new tires (225's) and I would love to upgrade the suspension and brakes. Monday will be an emotional day for me when I trade in the Mustang. Best run without the vortech (just all boltons) was 13.21 @ 103 with a 1.8 60ft launching at 4k with Nitto DR. Best run with the vortech was 12.34 @ 112 with a 1.9 60ft launching at 4.5 k with full slicks on weld 15inch alum stars. Lots of hours under that car.

Old 11-22-2009, 10:47 AM
Super Moderator

Stock RA is about 190 to 220whp ran 13.9, your mustang got 400+hp & did 13.2 & 12.34?

http://clubralliart.com/showthread.php?t=348

I think somebody here ran low 12 sec 1/4 miles in RA but was slightly modified.

I have seen 400+hp Evo VIII & IX ran mid to low 11. idk must be the AWD.
Old 11-22-2009, 02:42 PM

I think you missed the part where I said 13.2 without the vortech supercharger. The 13.2 was with all boltons. Steeda pullies, off road x pipe, magnaflow cat back, accufab 75mm throt and plenum, 85mm mass air, SCT Tune and 4:10 gears. Stock 02 gt dyno 225 to the rear wheels, 265 at motor. With just my boltons I put down 268 at the rear wheels. Once I put the Vortech S trim on it was a whole different story. Deff should have been first and only mod. If I ever have another one I wont even waste time with boltons, just go right for the charger.
Old 11-22-2009, 05:16 PM

Well, if you are looking for a straight line car, I'm not sure the RA is the right for you. The TC-SST has some limits to the amount of torque you can run through it, and the RA just really isn't meant to be a straight-line car.

If you're looking for something a bit different, then I think the RA could be a good choice. But, if you are looking to have another 1/4 mile monster, it might not be the best choice. It all really just depends on what you are looking for.