ClubRalliart.com Your ad here
Old 05-19-2011, 10:50 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to wwralliart77
Default Class Action Lawsuit: Timing Chain

This is to make everyone aware of the issues with the timing chains on the new Mitsubishi Lancer models. As you might be aware I had an issue with my timing chain stretching which resulted in internal engine damage and eventual replacement of my engine. I've been doing tons of research on the whole timing chain issue on the newer lancer models. There have been issues on all models including the Evolution, Ralliart, and GTS. It is a noted manufacturer defect, but Mitsubishi has no fix for it as of yet. Mitsubishi has been fixing it under warranty, but those with modifications have been denied warranty. Warranty has also been frequently denied on Evolutions and Ralliarts due to the claim that owners are constantly driving at high rpms, are waiting too long between oil changes, or due to their modifications.

It has been noted that mods/ecu flashes have no affect on the load put on the timing chain so that should be ruled out as a cause for timing chain stretch. It seems the issue is with the timing chain being improperly lubricated which results in the chain getting dirty too quickly which leads to premature wear and stretching of the chain. When timing chain stretch is sensed the ECM should illuminate a warning light, but in many cases the light won't illuminate or is ignored resulting in engine damage. If timing chain stretch is indicated it's pretty much a 50/50 chance whether or not the engine is damaged. If the engine isn't damaged then Mitsubishi will likely fix it under warranty. If the engine happens to be damaged then your denied warranty and are pretty much on your own.

The timing chain is an internal engine part and should legally be covered under warranty since no modification was made to that particular part or the engine itself for that matter in my particular case as well as the cases I've been looking at. There have been at least 100 other cases besides mine resulting in stretching of the timing chain. It is a manufacturer defect and needs to be addressed. I'd like to set up a Class Action Lawsuit against Mitsubishi regarding the timing chain issue. If possible I'd like to gain the assistance of the Toyota Lawyers that sued Toyota over the accelerator pedals. I'd also like to ask the assistance of you guys on all the forums to help set up a petition form. Maybe MTZL can help out with the petitions and Mike W-RRE and Bryan-GST can help out by sharing their knowledge regarding modifications and tuning having an affect on the timing chain. Thanks guys!

Last edited by wwralliart77; 05-21-2011 at 01:31 PM.
Old 05-20-2011, 06:59 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to BravoZero

Cool, I'm interested to see where this goes.
Old 05-20-2011, 09:30 AM
Super Moderator

We will need everybody's signature on this forum & Socal for petition.
I will help, let me know, pm me, how do you want to do this?
Old 05-20-2011, 04:47 PM

no offense or anything, but do you ever split your posts in paragraphs? I really want to see how your situation turned out but...
Old 05-20-2011, 06:17 PM

Ill def sign the petition...but in the mean time do u guys think we should swap out the old chain into a new chain every 15k or 30k miles?

Phase 1
[X] Cosworth Drop-In
[X] UR Full Catback Exhaust
[X] UR Upper ICP
[X] UR Lower ICP
[X] Evo X FMIC
[X] Evo X BOV

Phase 2 - Breaks
Old 05-20-2011, 09:00 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalliNurse View Post
Ill def sign the petition...but in the mean time do u guys think we should swap out the old chain into a new chain every 15k or 30k miles?
inspect it to see if its necessary at every interval. may not be necessary.
Cooler the oil, cooler the chain.

RA doesnt come with oil cooler.
Old 05-20-2011, 09:24 PM

Changing the timing chain would be about $400 labor alone. Not something you would want to do unless you really needed to.

Mike W
Old 05-21-2011, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeW-RRE View Post
Changing the timing chain would be about $400 labor alone. Not something you would want to do unless you really needed to.

Mike W

So how do we know if timing chain is about to give out?

Phase 1
[X] Cosworth Drop-In
[X] UR Full Catback Exhaust
[X] UR Upper ICP
[X] UR Lower ICP
[X] Evo X FMIC
[X] Evo X BOV

Phase 2 - Breaks
Old 05-21-2011, 10:01 AM

I had a stretched chain a while back, also had my warranty voided... so i ended up changing it myself... If I have to changed the chain every 15, 30 thousand miles I'm probably just going to get rid of the car... It was a PITA
Old 05-21-2011, 01:34 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to wwralliart77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exyia View Post
no offense or anything, but do you ever split your posts in paragraphs? I really want to see how your situation turned out but...
Seems like your the only one whining, but none the less it's fixed now.