ClubRalliart.com Your ad here
Old 07-21-2013, 01:08 PM

Default Trouble Starting Car

Not sure if this is something to be worried about... I went to start the car this morning and it didn't start on the first key turn... I turned AC off, tried second time and same problem. Tried a third time and car started and everything seemed fine.

My car was parked up an incline and I had the e-brake on. Is there some type of safety feature that would prevent me starting the car if the car wasn't fully in park gear cause of the e-brake.

Thanks
Old 07-21-2013, 01:16 PM
Regional Moderator

We have fairly small week ass batteries, mine takes a couple clicks on a regular basis.. The evo battery is larger, not sure on rating, but im sure we got week batts to cut weight and fit it under the intake..
Old 07-21-2013, 04:18 PM

This happens to me from time to time. It did concern me the first time it happened because the car was new and I had it less than a month. I haven't noticed any long term negative effects, so I don't worry about it so much anymore. I just give it another try or two until it starts.
Old 07-21-2013, 05:04 PM

noticed it in cold weather too. seems i have this problem twice or so each winter. even with the new relays.
X IC Swap
UR UICP
UR LICP
X BPV
AMS HFC
UR Exhaust w Custom midpipe
Old 07-22-2013, 06:36 AM

I have the same problem periodically. I guess the battery is just too small for our cars...
Old 07-22-2013, 10:59 AM

Just had a Deka Intimidator AGM battery dropped in mine.....I was told it starts a lot better now.
Old 08-18-2013, 11:46 AM

The car takes a group 35 battery, and that isn't too weak. Many 6 cylinder engines in Nissan and Toyota models use a group 35 battery, and it works well enough.

Sometimes my car seems slow to start, and I have the second best CarQuest battery in there with over 600 CCA, and the engine still sounds like it is slow to start.

If you take your car to certain parts stores, they can test the CCA of your battery at no cost. Advance Auto Parts and Autozone are able to do that.

Also, where do you live? In Florida, you can't expect your factory battery to last much more than 2 and a half years.

How many miles so you have? Spark plugs and ignition coil boots have a limited life.
Old 08-19-2013, 11:13 AM

The guy said this happened first time when the car was 1 month old, so I'm damn sure the spark plugs and/or the leads were in good order.

I've bought my car 2 months ago, 2 years old, with 16000 km. Last Wednesday I had the same starting problem. I took the car to be checked under warranty and they've said that is nothing wrong (no fault was recorded in the computer) but if this will happen again, they'll change the spark plugs and the leads.
Old 08-19-2013, 11:46 AM

Mitsubishi factory batteries are known to be huge wastes of space. You'd almost be better off with a small battery than the big factory crapper.

My recommendation: Change battery regardless if it's testing bad if it's the OEM battery. Get something with a bit more CCA than factory especially if you're up north.

http://www.lancershop.com/customer/p...cat=233&page=1
Evo X FMIC | MAP UICP | Evo X LICP | Evo X BPV | AEM Intake | AMS Boost Pill | GST Basemap Tuned by Razorlabs | RRM GRIP Springs | Oil Catch Tank | Agency Power Downpipe | Avid1 18x9 +35 Wheels | Project Kics R28 Lugs | AMS 3" Resonated Test Pipe | Ultimate Racing 3" Dual-Tip Catback | Zeitronix ZT-2 + ZR-2 Wideband/Boost gauge | Tomei Oil Cap | CF Engine Cover | CF Hood Struts | HKS Radiator Cap | Coming Soon: Evo X turbo upgrade
Old 08-19-2013, 12:36 PM

In my case didn't sound like a battery problem, the starter turned the engine strong. When it finally started, the engine sounded like working in 2 cylinders only for a second, it was shaking and rattling, but then everything went back to normal.

P.S.: The outside temperature was around 15 centigrades, 2 or 3 less than normal.