ClubRalliart.com Your ad here
Old 02-03-2012, 01:26 PM
Super Moderator

Im part time comedian. :P
I did this during my test drive. Had the gear in auto mode, decided to try to break the paddle or sst by downshifting & upshifting 1gear up/down (2nd to 3rd to 4th back to 2nd to 4th) two gear up/down. Sales person was holding on to the holy shit handle in the passenger seat. lol.

When I finally bought my RA, sale person told me "let's go on a test drive"
My reply: "No need to test drive it, I already know what it is capable of."

Sometimes you may want to leave it auto mode & overwrite auto mode with paddles. In doing so you may upshift 2gears instead of one.

There are afew things you can do.
As Jackal mentioned,
-put it in manual mode. You shouldnt have the +1 gear skipping.
-or downshift before you upshift with the paddles in auto mode depend on your throttle input/position.

The thing about using paddle in auto mode is when you come back to full stop it goes back to auto mode.
Old 02-03-2012, 01:26 PM

My car does it too. but on dure one specific location. my parents driveway is on a downward angle and is dirt and while sitting waiting for traffic im in manual mode and in 1st. when i pull out everything is normal. ill usually shift to 2nd pretty soon. like before im fully in my lane and every single time i do this is switches to third. and i know my wheels didnt spin any but i always wondered if the car was sort of preparing for that sort of the same way a regular cars traction control works..
Old 02-03-2012, 01:32 PM
Super Moderator

Im curious what year is yal RA thats having Manual Mode skipping gear?

My RA never skipped a gear in manual mode.
Old 02-03-2012, 01:47 PM

Mine only does it when the car is just started up. I think it only does it in declines as the road dips at several points where it does it.
Old 02-04-2012, 05:37 AM

That sounds like the transmission is going. Are you getting a CEL?
Old 02-04-2012, 08:03 AM

My 2011 does the same thing, and usually happens in same spot for me also, which is not long after I start driving. For me it is like this, if I am coming to a stop sign in 4th, I downshift to 3rd and then if I let car shift to 2nd on its own. If I roll through the stop sign in 2nd it will go to 3rd on its own. It is weird since it does seem to happen in same spot all the time. I assumed it was because car was not in 2nd long enough, and it confuses the car and it will shift on its own. It is weird since the car will bog down since I am only going around 20km/h in 3rd gear. Getting car serviced this week to look at SST for other reasons, will ask them about this also.
EVOx FMIC
UR UICP
20% tint rear
35% tint front
Painted OEM rims
Old 02-04-2012, 08:22 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to BravoZero

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle9er View Post
My 2011 does the same thing, and usually happens in same spot for me also, which is not long after I start driving. For me it is like this, if I am coming to a stop sign in 4th, I downshift to 3rd and then if I let car shift to 2nd on its own. If I roll through the stop sign in 2nd it will go to 3rd on its own. It is weird since it does seem to happen in same spot all the time. I assumed it was because car was not in 2nd long enough, and it confuses the car and it will shift on its own. It is weird since the car will bog down since I am only going around 20km/h in 3rd gear. Getting car serviced this week to look at SST for other reasons, will ask them about this also.
Same thing with the SST shifting from 2-3 automatically at certain times. Like I said, there's a trick to getting it to happen, doesn't just do it every gear change.
Old 02-04-2012, 06:27 PM

the sst dct (getrag) has a closed loop monitoring of tranny temp. when its too cold, the sst has lots of slip to get heat into the clutches. so if you shift too early (kinda like you would to save gas) while the tranny isn't warmed up, there is some compensating slippage done by the sst (it has its own brain). and ironically, it overheats in prolonged spirited use. go figure. also, when its cold, the dct prefers to shift at certain fuel efficiency sweet spots.

i have a hypothesis that when you try to be overly fuel efficient in manual mode, you are saving a little mpg but at the cost of more clutch slippage. the dct works at low speeds/city driving with continuous, friction-controlled slip. it prefers to shift higher in auto mode to hit the fuel efficiency sweet spot (sweet spot for the tranny in reference to controlled slip).

although its uber biased, heres some more getrag dct info.
http://www.dctfacts.com/industry-at-...TRAG-Ford.aspx

a little more technical:
http://www.hoerbiger.com/fileadmin/f...en/A5K083E.pdf
Old 02-15-2012, 06:00 PM

In no way do I want to hijack this thread... but has anyone had significant problems in auto mode?

I was cruising at ~30mph and the car (in auto mode) went into 6th, then 5th, then 4th, then 3rd, then 2nd... all at ~5 second each, with no change in throttle input.

WTF? Is this normal? I rarely drive in auto mode... but is this weird? My question is- should I have my tranny (probably TCU) looked at?
Evo X BOV
RRE Modified Magnaflow Catback
Old 02-15-2012, 06:05 PM

I let mine warm up before I go, but I am currently seeing sub 30F temps. I let the car temp gauge show the first bar before moving.

What temps do you see when this is an issue?

2010 WW Sedan
Custom RRE ABE
Cosworth Drop-in Filter
EvoX FMIC and UICP
ExoX BOV