ClubRalliart.com Your ad here
Old 12-02-2014, 02:26 PM
Regional Moderator

Did we ever get any updates on how the knockoff was working?

minimal partial rolls $60(no tab grinding)

So cal fender roller rental $10 per day(3 day min) with $200 cash deposit. Includes Eastwood fender roller, heat gun and heavyweight carry bag.
Old 12-03-2014, 02:09 PM

I'll probably get banned for sharing this...but oh well.

I ordered using the same link as the OP and received the device about 3 weeks later.

With the device I was able to read my stock rom, flash a GST basemap and clear DTC all with no issues. The device included (on a disc) ECUflash, and several other Subaru/Toyota specific applications.

I did open up the plastic cover and was horrified to see the quality of the solder joints. Most of them were cold joints with bunches of extra solder globbed on. This poor quality could easily lead to broken joints and possibly a bricked ECU. Since this device is always in use if logging, the risk over time only increases. I will be throwing this device in the trash and ordering a real unit for any further logging/flashing.

In the end with all things considered here is the lesson: Don't risk using one of these cheap devices to save $100, spend the extra money and support the people who actually designed the device. Although my experience turned out OK, the poor quality of the device highlights the risk involved in using knockoffs.

Last edited by AllWhiteErythng; 12-03-2014 at 02:21 PM.
Old 12-04-2014, 07:17 AM

Default at the risk of a beheading...

I'd say see if Drew would be interested in getting his hands on it to do a proper teardown and analysis, since he's stated he's experienced with this sort of thing. getting pictures and a blow-by-blow analysis would be very interesting.
Old 12-04-2014, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netracerx View Post
I'd say see if Drew would be interested in getting his hands on it to do a proper teardown and analysis, since he's stated he's experienced with this sort of thing. getting pictures and a blow-by-blow analysis would be very interesting.
I do work for a CM, and we build hundreds of thousands of PCBAs a year. I would be completely willing to inspect per IPC guidelines, and give a report on one. But I do know almost certainly exactly how it would turn out, as I have seen this type of thing happen several times over the last 15 years I have been here. That is why I suppose I got so defensive before. It wasn't because I own stock in Tactrix, but because people are playing a VERY dangerous game with that thing. Honest truth, if it was a Chinese knock-off of a wideband O2, or boost gauge, or anything else that couldn't do major damage from failure, I wouldn't care. This thing isn't in that category. Bricking your ECU is probably the cheapest damage it could cause. You can unbrick (software failure). It's not so easy to unfry (hardware failure/IC damage).

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllWhiteErythng View Post
I'll probably get banned for sharing this...but oh well.
If you ever get banned from here for posting useful information, then there is a problem with this forum. We should all agree that the more information that we have, the better off we are. I wouldn't personally buy one of those things because of the potential damage it could cause, but I wouldn't look down on anyone else for doing it. All I am trying to do in this thread is to make sure everyone understands the risks vs benefits, and your post was very helpful in doing that.
Old 12-06-2014, 11:12 AM

Well, if nothing else, this thread got me to finally break down and order a Tactrix cable last night.

I've had the AMS boost pill sitting around for a long time, so I'm kind of eager to finally install and flash the proper base map.
Old 12-06-2014, 04:16 PM
Regional Moderator

Yeah, good update, and I have a hard time believing anyone here will ever get banned for posting information like this. It's useless to operate a forum that way, I'm very curious about this product, but had a fairly good idea of what it was even without buying one.. It's a risky enough procedure even with the brand name version, using a cheaper copy, just seems way too risky, especially when you add up the money that gets thrown at a turbo car in general..

minimal partial rolls $60(no tab grinding)

So cal fender roller rental $10 per day(3 day min) with $200 cash deposit. Includes Eastwood fender roller, heat gun and heavyweight carry bag.
Old 12-06-2014, 04:40 PM

Thumbs up

Thank you guys for your input. I always find it all useful and helpful. It helps us all out in the long run and especially for me. This is my first turbo car. So keep it up guys. And again thank you!!
Old 12-10-2014, 08:56 AM

Well, Central Florida RA's are about to have another Tactrix cable in the area. It's out for delivery!
Old 12-10-2014, 11:44 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew View Post

If you ever get banned from here for posting useful information, then there is a problem with this forum. We should all agree that the more information that we have, the better off we are. I wouldn't personally buy one of those things because of the potential damage it could cause, but I wouldn't look down on anyone else for doing it. All I am trying to do in this thread is to make sure everyone understands the risks vs benefits, and your post was very helpful in doing that.
+1

I don't see anything wrong with that. if anything, I was curious to see what the inside looked like if you haven't thrown it away.
Old 12-16-2014, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo4papa View Post
Well, if nothing else, this thread got me to finally break down and order a Tactrix cable last night.

I've had the AMS boost pill sitting around for a long time, so I'm kind of eager to finally install and flash the proper base map.
Get COBB 3 port and unleash the beast!
RA - Built head - Built SST - ID1000cc - GTX3576R - GSC S2 cams - GSC beehives/Ti retainers - Timing Chain kit - ARP head studs - AMS fuel rail - AMS Widemouth dp - TurboXS exhaust - DrivenFab oil catch can - MAP oil pan - MAP cast manifold - AEM wideband - COBB 3 port EBCS - Tial QRJ - Sakura 3.5 intake - Kozmic Walbro 450 fuel pump - Depo Racing fmic/licp - TS engine/exhaust mounts - Cusco bar - D2 RS coil - Megan Racing control arms/toe - Whiteline sway bars - Brembo 6 piston

Tuned by TJ