ClubRalliart.com Your ad here

Go Back   ClubRalliart.com > 2009+ Lancer Ralliart Forums > 2009+ Lancer Ralliart Troubleshooting, DIY and Inst
Home Forums Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-22-2009, 12:47 PM

Exclamation Water drips thru the hood vents onto engine bay

Problem: Snow storm overnight, brushed off the accumulated snow on top of the hood the next morning, but some snow remain stuck inside the slots of the vents, car warms up, snow melts, open hood, ta-da! water drips all over the engine bay. Spots that would get hit are the battery (good thing it has a cover), left end of the valve cover very near the timing belt, and couple of spots in front and behind the battery. I would imagine the same would happen if I open the hood when it rains, to me this is a concern because I now know the battery cover has to stay there, and water can possibly drip onto the rotating timing belt and pulleys. Oh the reason I had to open the hood was because I had to refill the windshield fluid, so "don't open the hood in that situation" is not a solution.

Anyone experienced this yet?
- 2003 Hyundai Tiburon GTV6 Obsidian Black
www.newtiburon.com

- 2009 Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart Wicked White
www.clubralliart.com

- 2011 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 2.0T R-Spec Karussel White
http://www.gencoupe.com/

Last edited by Heliart; 01-22-2009 at 12:51 PM.
Old 01-22-2009, 03:34 PM
Administrator

I can't imagine that this would cause any issues, except for making the engine have water spots...which would suck! I don't remember that with my Evo, but then again I don't have to drive it in the rain...
Old 01-25-2009, 03:45 PM

why are you so concern about water spots of water in your engine bay? I mean do you not drive your car in the rain at all or don't drive it in the snow when there is salt down? Driving your car in the snow with salt on the ground is worse then couple drops of water in your engine bay....Secondly there's a timing chain no belt.
Old 01-25-2009, 08:34 PM

Water in the engine compartment doesn't realy matter. If it did, the compartment would be completely enclosed. They engine gets a lot more water on it from below just by driving in the wet than would come in through the tiny vents on the hood.
Old 01-26-2009, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zweetz32 View Post
why are you so concern about water spots of water in your engine bay? I mean do you not drive your car in the rain at all or don't drive it in the snow when there is salt down? Driving your car in the snow with salt on the ground is worse then couple drops of water in your engine bay....Secondly there's a timing chain no belt.
I'm not concerned when I drive it in the rain because im sure Mitsubishi designed the drainage for the water getting in thru the vents to work when the hood is close....but when you open the hood only a portion of the water sitting on the hood would get to the drainage and the rest would drip onto the hood....im just a little concerned water dripping onto a rotating belt that's all....
- 2003 Hyundai Tiburon GTV6 Obsidian Black
www.newtiburon.com

- 2009 Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart Wicked White
www.clubralliart.com

- 2011 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 2.0T R-Spec Karussel White
http://www.gencoupe.com/
Old 01-27-2009, 08:04 PM

The belt you are talking about is the accessory belt. It is how things attached to the engine are powered. Water will not damage the belt or the accessories. Again, there will be much more water getting on the belt while driving in rain or snow than would come through the vents when opening it.
Old 05-13-2009, 05:29 PM

the water drain from hood when the trunk is closed is in the corner beside the oem headlights
Old 06-11-2009, 08:32 PM
Super Moderator

Whatsup Heliart, Im still curious? Any pictures?
Old 10-06-2009, 09:38 AM
Super Moderator

I have washed my engine and engine bay before with high pressure hose and engine degreaser and tooth brush Brush. I just cover the electrical (Batt, Alternator, Distributor, etc.). I havent wash my RA engine yet but water is not gonna cause your belt to malfunction. I dont know about snow though or snow storm sounds severe. Maybe If you get ice on your belt it could malfunction.
Old 10-07-2009, 09:10 AM

hehehe... I took off the metal plates under the hood vents near the front of the hood for additional air flow. I did the same on my Evo. Never had a problem with the evo and don't expect to with the RA. I'm gonna modify the metal plate for the NACA duct in the middle too for more air flow... just haven't had time yet. Took the fog lights out too for more air flow to the side cooler and brakes.